Airfix 1/72 Junkers Ju87B-1 Stu,e

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I sold try an old kit sometimes though. I think I may have been spoilt as all the kits I've built have been new toolings from the last 5 years or so.
I wouldn’t rush to put yourself through it Mike. Building old for the sake of it can be a recipe for disappointment. Just wait until an old kit is the only game in town for a subject you want to build.

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
I also have a soft spot for the Stuka since I was at school, I'll admit I prefer the Shturmovik but there is something about the deep gull wing and fixed u/c that gives this so much charm.
Yep,me too..... always have loved the Stuka,such an Iconic plane,i`ll pull up a pew :cool:.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Good choice Mike. These new 1/72 planes from Airfix are very nice.
Like Tim said I wouldn't go with an old kit unless there was a very good reason to do so. They can be very frustrating and even with a lot of work many old kits don't build up well. Having said that many people do enjoy the challenge and make good models.

Valeron

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Some progress.

The cockpit assembled easily with minimal cleanup required. There are some ejector marks still but these won't be visible.

Dry fitting seems good so these are now ready to be primed. I'm also waiting on some paints to arrive.

The cockpit detail seems really good. The are 2 crew members provided but I won't be using them as the canopy is large and hopeful some of the detail of the cockpit will be visible when closed. Also 2 pilots seats are provided, one for use with and one for without a pilot. I'll obviously be using the latter and this has some seatbelt detail included.

20221122_103808.jpg

20221122_103819.jpg

20221122_103629.jpg

Valeron

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
A bit more progress.

The cockpit has been painted and will now be washed etc before closing.

I have swapped the seat out and will now be having a crew aboard. These two fellows have been primed and washed ready for painting. The detail on these two is much better than the previous Airfix 1/72 aircraft I've built.

I've also started a few sub assemblies.

The next step after finishing the cockpit will be to close her up and start building the main body of the aircraft.

The model seems quite detailed and goes together quite easily. The only downside are some prominent ejector marks which wouldn't be visible on the finished model but need removing otherwise the model wouldn't really fit together well at all.

20221214_130643.jpg
20221214_130711.jpg
20221214_130752.jpg

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
THIS aircraft always reminds me of a vulture lol but nice work Mike
chrisb

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
I have built a couple of the newer Airfix 1/72 aeroplanes and been very impressed. Your progress is great.