Airfix 1:72 Mitsubishi Zero A6M2b - My first model

A

Alybad

After two days, I finished my first model. The Mitsubishi Zero Starter Kit by Airfix.

Building this aeroplane has been an amazing experience and I learnt many things, such as how awful the pots they give you for the paint are to open, as well as how I never want to touch one of those stupid fiddly little decals ever again.

The glue dissolved the paint on a little bit of the right wing, so I had to touch it up - it doesn't look as good as it did, but oh well.

I welcome criticism and advice on how I can do my next model better!

^5751C01073F4ECCD89AEDDDD8A04A6597BCB9EAB8EC4ED853A^pimgpsh_fullsize_distr.jpg

^B389C3D3D57D57A4084A3A9748BC5F91A34D1F96BA9EC5A6FD^pimgpsh_fullsize_distr.jpg

^CEF9E60C764D98E4C1020DBFA081CE11F835DB7A04819D5086^pimgpsh_fullsize_distr.jpg

^CFD3E97DB6CDBC1C67A1CED4842C25CDA6E69D5D59D53EFABD^pimgpsh_fullsize_distr.jpg

P

Polux

Looks a good and fine attempt to me ;)

White or green, the Zero is always a lovely plane!

D

Deleted member 3568

Great finish on a first model, definitely off to a good start.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Well done - a nice kit to start with. I do like the colour scheme.

My suggestion is to stay with simple and inexpensive aircraft kits for a while as a way to develop, improve and practise, seeking to get better each time.

What I would suggest as your next step would be to seal/sand the join, wing/top/bottom join, fuselage half joins and so on, in order to achieve the visual effect of a 'whole' rather than a collection of parts stuck together.

My advice is to get some sanding sticks and sponges or various grades (someone has a post on this forum about the excellent Ultimate range) and also get some filler.

When the cement has properly dried (a day after gluing to be safe) sand the join smooth, try holding the model to a light and looking along the join, if you can see it then it needs more sanding until it disappears. You may have to apply a little more cement along the join to help it along (I would use the Mr Cement S thin cement that you apply to the join with the cement being drawn in by capillary action as it dries very quickly). The filler needs to be used if there is clearly a significant gap or if the two sides are not perfectly aligned. Using sanding sponges, by the way, helps you to avoid 'squaring' a round surface with a sander. You will need a mix.

Filler I would suggest for this would be Mr Dissolved Putty applied with a brush. Alternatives I like are Vallejo Plastic Putty and Mr Surfacer 500 (the jar version ot aerosol).

Dont worry at this stage about lost panel line detail. That can be replaced by re-scribing but that is really the next learning stage. The model will still look better than if you had not treated the join even if yo do not rescribe. Small steps!!!

Above all enjoy it!

F

Fenlander

Off to a great start Max. Your next will be better as you will take what you learned from this one, it's just a natural progression. Keep it up, this is good.

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
I have given this a great build, mainly down to the fact I think for a first attempt it is a cracking model. Well done, my first and many, many after were terrible.

Listen to Barry's advice and have another crack, like it.

If a nice finish starts to go wrong I bottle it and do a wreck...as most of my models end up. :D

P6157481_zpsqg75ezzu.jpg

Si:smiling3:

A

Awins

\ said:
I have given this a great build, mainly down to the fact I think for a first attempt it is a cracking model. Well done, my first and many, many after were terrible.
Listen to Barry's advice and have another crack, like it.

If a nice finish starts to go wrong I bottle it and do a wreck...as most of my models end up. :D

View attachment 144855

Si:smiling3:
\ said:
After two days, I finished my first model. The Mitsubishi Zero Starter Kit by Airfix.
Building this aeroplane has been an amazing experience and I learnt many things, such as how awful the pots they give you for the paint are to open, as well as how I never want to touch one of those stupid fiddly little decals ever again.

The glue dissolved the paint on a little bit of the right wing, so I had to touch it up - it doesn't look as good as it did, but oh well.

I welcome criticism and advice on how I can do my next model better!
It looks fine for a first model. Its not so much the end result but all the enjoyment along the way. You will learn new techniques along the way and develop skills. Most of all have fun and enjoyment.

D

Deleted member 4539

That's a great first model.

keep going and have fun.

D

David 317

Well done! That's a great first build.

I love a Zero in white or green. Such simple, clean lines.

You can't go wrong if you listen to the advice you get here.

These guys really know their stuff. They have helped me no end.

D.

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
nice job on this one,I always like a zero,very well done,

nice clean looking build, ;)

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Nice start to an absorbing hobby. I'm looking forward to seeing your next build.