Airfix 1/72 P-51 D Mustang

B

Builder

Hi All,

This is my reveal for the Airfix 1/72 P51 D mustang which I built alongside a Tamiya 1/72 one as a side by side build.

Build Summary
The Airfix 1/72 Mustang. A gem of a kit. Went together really well. I painted it using Tamiya Enamels and Humbrol Enamels. I did not give it a wash since the panel lines just highlighted very well after I applied the paint so I left them as is. The decals went on phenomenally well too.

Build Thread
http://www.scale-models.co.uk/threa...-tamiya-side-by-side-build.27626/#post-344659

Final Reveal Video

Final Photos
b1d04071-c3e0-411b-a5e9-dbb136894561_zpsb2ommk5s.jpg

e5d6f6e4-4ed7-4f32-a83b-ff356743c842_zpsq3cvusi2.jpg

8864f3a9-7b70-4e6d-83ef-6838d4ed7220_zpstpcbn6pe.jpg

cef3641e-f612-4c82-9fc4-6c66834f8695_zpsmsd7baxa.jpg

a271649d-eb50-408f-9744-0dc97adb2325_zpswrygdyp7.jpg

0a2f0ea8-7b8c-45b6-968d-65be2ae9a8a4_zpslkjov35f.jpg

828a0df9-e8b9-489e-a4b2-8241aecb1f1a_zpsgj4aobrq.jpg

I hope you all liked the post. All comments welcome.

Last edited by a moderator:

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
The video is a good idea...
Excellent job on both kits.....

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
Excellent build,Bob,very well done with the pin lining,great paint work,
real well done,:D

D

dubster72

Definitely a lovely Mustang Bob! I like the variations in the panel colours - just enough to notice.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Brilliant result. Expertly built. I think that little Airfix has everything going for it.

First Name
Alex
Very impressed, much better than my one. What paint did you use for the metal? it looks really nice. I used the standard Humbrol Enamel one which Airfix suggested and have to say yours looks much more realistic.

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
Awesome , really like the look of these two gems. video was really nice too

Spitfires and Mustangs you can never get enough of them
( makes me want to go buy one )

Regards

Robert

D

danntheman

Really really great, love everything about it, very good.

C

Crumplezone

Wow Bob, very very nice. Looks magazine quality, I'll be saving a picture or two for My personal collection. I am eager to see Your 1/48's once You comence building in that scale

D

Doug Hughes

That's great, Bob. Oddly enough, I have a very similar one on my shelves - what are the chances eh? I agree about the panel lines - they're a bit heavy in the kit and don't need any more emphasis. Looks like you had fun picking out different panels for the different shades of natural metal - this really works well.

B

Builder

That looks fantastic Bob
The video is a good idea...
Excellent job on both kits.....
Excellent build,Bob,very well done with the pin lining,great paint work,
real well done,:D
Great Build, Bob. The paintwork is really excellent!!

:smiling3:
Definitely a lovely Mustang Bob! I like the variations in the panel colours - just enough to notice.
Brilliant result. Expertly built. I think that little Airfix has everything going for it.
Beautiful builds, both of them.
Excellent builds Bob. Looking very, very good!! ;)
Very impressed, much better than my one. What paint did you use for the metal? it looks really nice. I used the standard Humbrol Enamel one which Airfix suggested and have to say yours looks much more realistic.
Awesome , really like the look of these two gems. video was really nice too

Spitfires and Mustangs you can never get enough of them
( makes me want to go buy one )

Regards

Robert
Very nice job ☺
Wow Bob, very very nice. Looks magazine quality, I'll be saving a picture or two for My personal collection. I am eager to see Your 1/48's once You comence building in that scale
That's great, Bob. Oddly enough, I have a very similar one on my shelves - what are the chances eh? I agree about the panel lines - they're a bit heavy in the kit and don't need any more emphasis. Looks like you had fun picking out different panels for the different shades of natural metal - this really works well.
Very nice. I have the same kit stashed away.

Thanks All for the kind comments.

@ Thorbrand. I used Tamiya enamel XF 16 Flat Aluminium, I havnt found a Humbrol metal color I like yet. I mainly use Tamiya enamels for metal colours.

@dave thanks will probably start 1/48 Aircraft next year or maybe at the end of this year.