Airfix 1/72 Westland Scout

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
After looking about for old airfix kits no longer available I found this View attachment 86215

This was a favourite of mine when I was a nipper and I have just bought it from evil bay for £15.99 I think when I bought mine in the mid 70s I only paid about 75p
I've had no luck on finding a Westland Wasp though

image.jpg

0ne48thtel

I remember building one these Alan way back when I was knee high to a grass hopper.

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
If I remember rightly it wasn't a bad kit but I'll find that out when I build :smiling3:

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
Yeah, I build one of those when I was a kid , seem to remember I struggled with the skids, thin spindly things,, I think it was the only helicopter I ever did.

Nice find Alan.

Tony

peterairfix

SMF Supporter
First Name
peter
\ said:
After looking about for old airfix kits no longer available I found this View attachment 86650This was a favourite of mine when I was a nipper and I have just bought it from evil bay for £15.99 I think when I bought mine in the mid 70s I only paid about 75p I've had no luck on finding a Westland Wasp though
I have had plenty of scouts before but i don't think they ever did the wasp but i might be wrong there.

Peter t

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
I found this site pete

http://www.scale-rotors.com/galerie/1-utility-helicopters/1164-westland-wasp-has1-airfix.html :smiling3:

peterairfix

SMF Supporter
First Name
peter
\ said:
I found this site pete http://www.scale-rotors.com/galerie/1-utility-helicopters/1164-westland-wasp-has1-airfix.html :smiling3:
Thanks for that i have found out there are conversion kits out there for a wasp.

Peter t

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
Thanks for that i have found out there are conversion kits out there for a wasp.Peter t
Yeah I was looking at that I wonder if they will work on the scout or if there is one for scout , it might look good as a ground support version :smiling3:

I've come across pics of a fujimi wasp in 1/72 I might see if I can find one of them :smiling3:

First Name
Dave
I built one as a youngster as well.I don't think anyone else has marketed a kit of this over the years.Its one of those types that seems to have escaped the attentions of the model companies.Unless someone knows different?.

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Did Fujimi do a 1/72? I thought they are 1/48/1/50...could be wrong though.

Try this:

http://www.clevelandsdiecast.co.uk/FJK30138-Westland-Wasp-plastic-p-63837.html

Si:smiling3:

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
i remember doing this one too, back in the day

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
All I know is when I put it in search several sits said 1/72 and 1/48 , you can't buy any of anymore so I'm unable to check if there really is a fujimi 1/72

First Name
Mike
\ said:
All I know is when I put it in search several sits said 1/72 and 1/48 , you can't buy any of anymore so I'm unable to check if there really is a fujimi 1/72
Fujimi never did a 1/72 Wasp, so your only option is Airfix and the Airwaves conversion, or Airfix and some scratch building. I'm sure I've seen an article on this recently, I'll see if I can dig it out.

Fujimi's Wasp is actually 1/50 but has been re-boxed several times as 1/48 scale.

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
Fujimi never did a 1/72 Wasp, so your only option is Airfix and the Airwaves conversion, or Airfix and some scratch building. I'm sure I've seen an article on this recently, I'll see if I can dig it out.Fujimi's Wasp is actually 1/50 but has been re-boxed several times as 1/48 scale.
Yeah I do know now that it was never made by fujimi , strange as it comes up on a search engine but hey never mind , the airfix one is rarer than rocking horse poo though even if I did find one it would be silly money , I have some plasitcard I wounded how difficult it would be to scratch build ! I am joking of course. :D

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Airfix, as far as I know did not do a wasp. The wasp was a navy version of the scout so if there is a conversion set around you might get lucky.

Conversion sets are even harder to find than the model they are made for. I have spent a month looking for a Seafire conversion set which is also out of production...

Hope you find what you are looking for.

Ian M

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
Airfix, as far as I know did not do a wasp. The wasp was a navy version of the scout so if there is a conversion set around you might get lucky.Conversion sets are even harder to find than the model they are made for. I have spent a month looking for a Seafire conversion set which is also out of production...

Hope you find what you are looking for.

Ian M
That must be what's happened with the review I posted about the wasp , it is quite deceptive in it says it's airfix and has a conversion set but neglects to say the kit is actually a scout , I have my scout now so I'll have a look for the conversion set :smiling3: