yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
First Name
Dave
A very impressive result from an old basic kit.I like the extra detail you've added to the cannons.Top marks Ian.I love one of these in 1/48.Don't think anyone does one or do they?.

B

Bunkerbarge

Lovely job Tony and yet another example of what a great model an old kit can be turned into. The cockpit takes this to a whole new level and just goes to show what we can build for very little expenditure.

S

Sky Raider

Nice job Tony, well done. Top marks from me mate.

Cheers

Andy

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
It's amazing what talented builders can add to these old models! Another fine build Tony.

Gern

T

treyzx10r

Tony not only did you do this old kit justice the detail in 1/72 is amazing,I still struggle in 1/48!

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Very nice Tony. All that eye straining detail building certainly paid off. The old saying "blimey,that doesn't look like 1/72" is definitely applicable here.

Cheers

Steve

coachman

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Love seeing your craftsmanship in these smaller scales Tony,I watch in awe.

Makes me feel I could do better,fantastic build. John

Just realised how my last statement might sound,I mean I could do better

than I've so far achieved. Thanks John

Last edited by a moderator:
First Name
Mike
Lovely work Tony, great to see an old Airfix kit get some TLC. The additions to the cockpit, guns and u/c make a huge difference. Once I figure out how to give it 5*, I will :smiling3:

\ said:
A very impressive result from an old basic kit.I like the extra detail you've added to the cannons.Top marks Ian.I love one of these in 1/48.Don't think anyone does one or do they?.
Classic Airframes did a very nice kit in 1/48. They're no longer in production but show up fairly regularly on eBay.

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Hi there Tony

An outstanding job on such a small scale. I don't know how you managed to get so much detail in the cockpit area. Great work on the cannons to. Well done

Vaughan

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
Very nice work Tony, love it mate and a big five too.

Have fun, John

W

wanna_be_aviator

Wow! It paid off to wait and see the result, it was a lesson on scratchbuilding, I got to learn quite a few tricks by watching this build. Very nice, came out really impressive and with plenty of nice detail. Cheers!

Marcos

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
:thumbs-up:Many thanks to everyone for their kind comments, glad you liked it. Its such a great looking aircraft and often underrated , its about time someone did it justice and gave us a new 1/48 or 1/32 tooling (as mike said , there was a 1/48 by classic airframes but its not in production currently and goes for silly money on e-bay!! usually about £30-£40!!!) cheers tony

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I'd buy a large scale one!

Weren't there ongoing problems with the engines? I think British opinion of two engined day fighters was coloured by a low opinion of the P-38 and the poor performance of the Bf110 against single engined types.

Cheers

Steve

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
If the engines had been properly developed by rolls royce then the story might have been different, but obviously merlin production and development took priority and the peregrine in the whirlwind was neglected. A little known fact is when tested against the early spitfires and hurricane the whirlwind could actually out turn both, by using differential throttle settings on the engines.Although well liked by pilots its days were numbered, and the emergence of the mosquito and beaufighter as fast ,well armed fighter/ bombers really stuck the boot in!

C

Caledonia

Lovely clean build as always Tony, must admit when I saw the title I was expecting to see a helicopter!! silly me. Cheers Derek

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
thanks derek, cheers tony

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Well it turned out nice again !

Whilst I might have seen the model for sale many times, I'm quite sure yours is the first I've seen built. So, well done you, nice one. The extra work in all that detailing has really paid off and certainly hasn't been lost at this scale.

Colin M........

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Thanks colin , it wasnt as much of a slog as the dh88 comet but it still took some time! cheers tony