Airfix 1/72 "Yellowjacks" Gnat

1275GT

Evening all. Picked up a few kits from the Cambridge Modelzone before it finally went under last week, one of which was this.

It's not a bad little kit ( a whole lot better than the old one, anyway !!) though I have to say, it's bloody fiddley !! The engraving is a little heavy, and the fit isn't brilliant, but it's got a nice amount of detail.

Anyway, made a start and got the cockpit together. The seats are basically right, but added a bit of detail and some tape belts. Also tried the twisted cotton method for the bang handles, but I'm not too happy with them. I haven't twisted them hard enough, and the pva glue just seemed to lift the fibres out. Maybe some more practice needed !! The canopy's going to be closed, so I think it'll be ok for this project.

So pit and main gear done, got to add a bit of weight to the nose and the halves will be ready to go together.

The thing is really tiny, so hopefully this won't take as long as some of my previous projects!!!

Cheers, Neil

View attachment 68718

View attachment 68719

View attachment 68720

View attachment 68721

View attachment 68722

View attachment 68723

DSC08647.JPG

DSC08648.JPG

DSC08649.JPG

DSC08650.JPG

DSC08651.JPG

DSC08652.JPG

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Looks to be a nice little kit Neil, and a nice colourful subject too.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Nice start neil, its a kit ive been looking at myself so i'll be very keen to see how it goes together, cheers tony

1275GT

Afternoon all, back with a bit of an update. As you can see, the cockpit is in and most of the airframe is together. It was ok for the most part, but I have to say the fit of the wings to the main body wasn't all that and needed a fair bit of work to fit nicely, and the fit of the piece between the undercarriage bays needed a bit of work. A note to anyone else having a go at this, I think it would be possible to insert the main undercarriage bays after fixing the 2 fuselage halves together, if that makes it easier for you. I also had another go at the ejector seat handles, using .003 lead wire and some thin Tamiya tape strips. They're still a bit over scale, but I'm much happier with them. I've also had a go at making the blast screen for the rear cockpit from a bit of acetate. It's not the best bit of modelling, but It'll do the job !! Another note, the canopy is a little thick, but VERY clear, you can see everything!! Anyway, hope you enjoy the pics.

View attachment 69412

View attachment 69413

View attachment 69414

View attachment 69415

View attachment 69416

View attachment 69417

View attachment 69418

View attachment 69419

Cheers, Neil

DSC08656.JPG

DSC08657.JPG

DSC08658.JPG

DSC08659.JPG

DSC08660.JPG

DSC08661.JPG

DSC08666.JPG

DSC08667.JPG

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
That landing gear bay looks fiddly Neil. Nice job on the pull chords.

1275GT

Hi all, eventually back with another update ! All major construction done, primered and now in colour. The only addition I've made are the 2 smoke pipe by the tailpipe. I suspect the colour is a little too yellow whereas I think the real thing is a little creamier, but it was the nearest Halfords had, and I don't think it's too bad !!!

Now just onto the fiddly stuff to finish.

Cheers, Neil

View attachment 70943

View attachment 70944

View attachment 70945

View attachment 70946

View attachment 70947

View attachment 70948

DSC08672.JPG

DSC08673.JPG

DSC08674.JPG

DSC08675.JPG

DSC08676.JPG

DSC08677.JPG

Last edited:

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
I was wondering how this was coming on, looks brilliant neil ! The colour looks fine to me, looking forward to the finished pics , cheers tony

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Looks accurate to me too Neil, nice job so far mate.

1275GT

Finally, it's on it's wheels ! The gear doors, or at least the mountings on the legs for them, needed a bit of modification, but they're on, and in roughly the right position.

Now all was going well, until I was messing with the fitment of the nose lens, and guess what? Yep, it pinged off into never-never land, never to be seen again. So, I'm hunting for a replacement, best bet so far is going to be a bit of clear sprue, unless anyone has any better ideas.................answers on a postcard :smiling3:

Cheers, Neil

View attachment 71292

View attachment 71293

View attachment 71294

View attachment 71295

DSC08682.JPG

DSC08683.JPG

DSC08684.JPG

DSC08685.JPG

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Looking good neil. The issue with the nose lens is similar to a problem I had a good while back with the nose light on the Airfix DH 88 comet. This was a poorly moulded blob which i had to replace , the options being a bit of clear sprue or clear acetate formed to the right shape. I tried both and found the acetate to be easiest and better looking. Basically I just got a piece of clear acetate from some food packaging and using a paintbrush handle of the right size (I had to try a few different ones before i found the right size) I heated the acetate over a candle and while soft plunged the paintbrush handle into it , forming a clear volcano shape (for want of a better expression!)This was then cut out with nail scissors sanded to shape then glued on. The advantage of this is that clear acetate is everywhere on food or other packaging so you can try and try as much as it needs. Heres a link to the photos of my attempt that will hopefully help to illustrate the point , its post no #45 http://www.scale-models.co.uk/threads/airfix-dh-88-comet-1-72.11445/page-3 hope this helps , cheers tony

1275GT

Thanks for that Tony. I've actually just stuck a bit of clear sprue on with some Araldite, going to let that dry overnight and see how I get on tomorrow with it. If it doesn't work out, it should be easy enough to saw it off and I'll give the acetate a go. I'll let you know how I get on !

Thanks again.

Cheers, Neil

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Nice work with the clear sprue neil.

1275GT

Hi all. Final stretch, the decals are all done, it's amazing the difference a few stickers makes !!!. Just a couple of small bits and pieces to do, so I'll end this thread here and post a few pics in the "completed" section.

I hope its been of some use and entertainment for you, and thanks to all for the comments and help, it's really appreciated.

View attachment 71475

View attachment 71476

View attachment 71477

Cheers, Neil

DSC08694.JPG

DSC08695.JPG

DSC08696.JPG

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
That's a bright little thing, very nice.