Airfix 1/72nd Westland Sea King HC.4

SteveT

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Hello again guys.
I'm starting a new kit today, not done an Airfix kit since the mid-late 1970's, so I'm looking forward to this and hoping I actually complete it.
I've had a couple of real issues recently, first the Sioux, it was such a massive pain I filed it in its box to come back to maybe one day (and it's totally put me off Italeri kits I'm sorry to say)

Then I bought a cheap kit a Chinook 1/144th scale and oh my word I didn't realise how small that was. (another lesson learned) I did get about 40% into it before I just gave up and yes that one was binned. (I'm ashamed to say)

So, after feeling quite sorry for myself and on the edge of quitting, my lovely wife gave me such support and kind words and even bought me a kit to do and that is this one which arrived today. The 1/72 seems to be a nice scale for me, far more manageable than the 1/144th for my old eyes and fat fingers.

Here she is just out of the box. I'm determined to finish this one and I'll post images as I go. Thanks for reading

Attachments

• pic1.png
    pic1.png
    805.7 KB · Views: 19
  • pic2.png
    pic2.png
    927.3 KB · Views: 13

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Ooo, love a good Junglie King!!!
Tons of power with a lightweight airframe. I’ll enjoy watching this one come together.

Mark1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Don't be to disheartened, i think its safe to say just about all of us have kits we have given up on, commonly known as shelf queens, maybe to be finished one day or eventually end up in the bin. Some people start many more kits than they ever finish, think i have about 12 build threads on here that got started and never finished :tears-of-joy:
Good luck with the build:thumb2:

Flip

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
i think its safe to say just about all of us have kits we have given up on
Mark,
That's good to hear - thought it was just me. I have just "retired" an Italeri 1:48 Apache because I was so disappointed in the ridiculously thick decals once I finished the cockpit area.
I'll post images as I go
Steve,
Please do - I'll follow with interest. Hope you enjoy this one :thumb2:
Big brownie points to your wife for lovely support. That really was a very nice thing to do.

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Hi Steve,
This is a nice kit, despite being a fish head cab. I built this version a while back and really enjoyed it; I also did the RAF version.
Here’s a link to my build thread for the HC4 - https://www.scale-models.co.uk/threads/rick’s-airfix-sea-king-hc4-1-72-operation-mikado-falklands-war.38941/
I didn’t do an out of the box build but a back dated Falklands cab.

Last edited:

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Steve, 1/72 is not a scale I do nor are things that fly along. I will follow though with interest and I hope you get on all right with it.

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Hi Steve,
This is a nice kit, despite being a fish head cab. I built this version a while back and really enjoyed it; I also did the RAF version.
Here’s a link to my build thread for the HC4 - https://www.scale-models.co.uk/threads/rick’s-airfix-sea-king-hc4-1-72-operation-mikado-falklands-war.38941/
I didn’t do an out of the box build but a back dated Falklands cab.
A fellow course mate from flying training was in the 'volunteers only' Op Mikado crew! Featured in the book, (SF Pilot) written by the pilot.
Cost me a few beers trying to hear the story from him which he wouldn't spill!! Then his pilot brought out the book!!!! It didn't do my mate any harm. I knew him as a 'Killick' Aircrewman, (Corporal), retired as a Lt Cdr!! He spent some time as XO on HMS Victory during his stint as an officer.
The HC4 is on my wish list of 1/48 Kings to build. The Commando SK some notable differences (externally), to the anti submarine versions. It would be nice to build one as a tribute to another old friend, Ben Casey, who died after ditching in one whilst ferrying SF from one ship to another on the way down South in 82!

Last edited:

SteveT

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Thanks everyone, so kind of you as usual!

I've been reading the instructions and although they mostly seem straight forward, but it does look like they stop telling you what colour to paint parts from about halfway in. Weird, but okay.

So if it ends up orange with yellow stripes, you know why. haha

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Thanks everyone, so kind of you as usual!

I've been reading the instructions and although they mostly seem straight forward, but it does look like they stop telling you what colour to paint parts from about halfway in. Weird, but okay.

So if it ends up orange with yellow stripes, you know why. haha
Airfix did that with the ASW Sea King (1/48). Safe thing with the HC4 it was mostly green!!!!!! :thumb2:

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I sometimes think we (ex Service) should create a dictionary of terms that we take as normal - the Crabs could start as they (foolishly believe) they a superior species ... (Poor demented fools!)
Steve

Last edited:

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
I sometimes think we (ex Service) should create a dictionary of terms that we take as normal - the Crabs could start as they (foolishly believe) they are a superior species ... (Poor demented fools!)
Steve
Rick Jolly, Ex Captain Surgeon RN wrote a book called 'Jack Speak'. (Jack Speak by Rick Jolly) So others could understand sailor speak!! He was the senior surgeon at Ajax Bay and saw many many Sea King 4's (HC4), deliver casualties to the field hospital there. He was also a Green bereted Sailor who had a pilots license and could fly the HC4!!

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Rick Jolly, Ex Captain Surgeon RN wrote a book called 'Jack Speak'. (Jack Speak by Rick Jolly) So others could understand sailor speak!! He was the senior surgeon at Ajax Bay and saw many many Sea King 4's (HC4), deliver casualties to the field hospital there. He was also a Green bereted Sailor who had a pilots license and could fly the HC4!!
I remember him - Lamb's Navy Rum also produced a book of the same name (same thing perhaps?)!
Steve

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I sometimes think we (ex Service) should create a dictionary of terms that we take as normal - the Crabs could start as they (foolishly believe) they a superior species ... (Poor demented fools!)
Steve
I once had a fish head Rodney rush over to me in the shed asking where the heads were, my response of “On your shoulders sir?”, didn’t go down well. When he clarified he meant the lavatory my next response was “Oh! You mean the $h**house?”. He looked like he was about to explode.

One of my favourite RAF slang phrases is “T*ts up on sticks in the shed for a double donk change”.

SteveT

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Little update. I will add these images, even though I'm quite embarrassed by the 2nd one.

First one shows my primed parts (Humbrol grey spray primer)
Second one shows my absymal paint job.

I sprayed the bottom part grey (paint is Vallejo Light Grey) but for some weird reason it looks green!!
I have added a grey wash to try and darken it and make it worn/dirty) I guess that's worked a little.

as for the horrendous seats, the manual says to paint them blue and shows a humbrol paint, however I don't
have that and the nearest thing I have to blue is turquoise and night blue, so I painted them the turquoise.
unfortunately it looks dreadful, I will try and make them look less horrible by adding a wash tomorrow.

My painting would shame an eight year old right now, I can only hope I get better with practice!

More images to come as I continue to work on this kit.

Attachments

• pic11.png
    pic11.png
    851.9 KB · Views: 14
  • pic22.png
    pic22.png
    632.7 KB · Views: 16

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Do you know, that shade of blue doesn’t look to far from the real thing. I recall seeing varying shades on the real thing. Once it’s all together inside the cabin not much can be seen if the doors are closed.
Stay positive, you’re gaining valuable experience with every build.

Mark1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Always worth painting a little test piece to see if your happy with the colour first but as rick says itll look fine when its all buttoned up,look at it as a lesson rather than a mistake.

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
As Rick says the colour of the seats is arbitrary really. Add mud to them for the real authentic Bootie look. Of course you could always try and lighten the blue by adding white!! My first King I didn't have the correct shade so I used Prussian blue and then lightened it to get somewhere close. But again, as Rick said - with the doors closed you only get a glimpse of the seat backs through the side windows!!!