Airfix Daleks

O

old tom

Did anyone have problems using the metallic paint supplied with the Aifix 'Daleks in Manhatten' kit? Mine just didn't want to stick (even after washing the parts) and I wondered if it was a production fault - or just me!

Here's a short vid of Daleks arguing... notice I had to use Humbrol 'Copper' for Kaan...

S

Spyderman_uk

The acrylics you get with Airfix kits are very poor quality.

I've not done that kit, but have found the paint in other kits very unreliable.

I usually use Humbrol enamels as well.

Maybe if you had put a primer on the models first it may have taken better. Most car aerosols are acrylic now and go onto plastics without trouble.

Last edited:
B

Bunkerbarge

I've heard concerns about the Airfix acrylics so I don't think you are the only one. I would suggest a light spray coating of car primer from Halfords first to give the colour coat something to key to. I think you will get much better results then.

..or use Humbrol enamels!

Nice models though, great job on the realistic finishes.

B

bluebottle

If the plastic is like the Wallace+Gromit kits(like a kitchen wasing bowl) then you'll need a primer....:ohno:

C

copernicus

Re Paint

I have built both the Airfix Dr who kits now and have not used any of the paints supplied. In both cases all parts were given a good wash in warm soapy water, undercoated with light grey primer and then spray painted with Humbrol enamels.

Last edited:
O

old tom

Thanks everyone, good to know that I hadn't suddenly lost my painting skills!