airfix dh 88 comet 1/72

B

Bunkerbarge

I always enjoy seeing an old kit transformed in this way. The canopy is a huge improvement and just shows what can be done with some simple household items but the whole aircraft has been taken to a new level and looks amazing.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
thanks richard , im hoping to get some colour on the airframe today,so it should start coming together a bit quicker, cheers tony

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
First coat of colour on , and its starting to look like it should. Just the undercarriage and fine details (or to use the technical term- knocky off bits) such as the pitot tube and mass balances on the rudder and elevators to put on and then its decal time. cheers tony

p.s. i took two pics , with and without flash to highlight what little external features there are

View attachment 31183

View attachment 31184

P1080901 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1080903 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Nice! If I recall the markings are gold on this bird aren't they? That'll look well nice.

Ian M

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Quick update , the decals are on and its ready for the fiddly bits and a final couple of coats of clear gloss. Ive also been doing a bit more crash moulding , although this time its a bit more simple! I needed to make the clear light cover for the tip of the nose , as there isnt anything in the kit just the pointed nose in plastic. To do this i just heated a piece of clear acetate over a tealight candle and pushed a paintbrush handle of the right size into it . all i need to do now is cut it off without dropping it and fix to the nose at the end of the build.The actual light behind the cover is going to be made from a tiny circle of holographic confetti which should look convincing when viewed through the cover. here are the pics , cheers tony

View attachment 31303

View attachment 31304

View attachment 31305

View attachment 31306

View attachment 31307

P1080908 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1080905 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1080904 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1080907 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1080906 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

T

treyzx10r

Tony great work ,really like the scratch build canopy and nose thats awesome!

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Another beauty about to be born! Exactly how big is this circle of confetti going to be?

Cheers

Steve

W

wanna_be_aviator

You truly turned that Airfix kit into gold! Very nice, I really like that gloss black and gold finish. Can't wait to see the end result.

cheers

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
\ said:
Another beauty about to be born! Exactly how big is this circle of confetti going to be?Cheers

Steve
Hi steve , its about 1.5mm but should be big enough to catch the light and give the impression of a lens , cheers tony

S

sprayman

Great work tony, you just have a gift for this, how do your eyes work at this scale.......lol

B

Bunkerbarge

Absolutely brilliant to see new life breathed into an old kit. I've really enjoyed watching this go together.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Well its been a long road but its finally done!! After adding the last few bits (mass balances,light cover,undercarriage and props) and giving the model another coat of gloss ,i carefully removed the masking on the canopy and gave it (the canopy) a final coat of klear.SO here it is , finished after about 6 weeks , a very old moulding but unbelievably the only game in town in 1/72 -surely its time for a modern tooling in any scale!? It was worth it though, just to see the beautiful shape of this important aircraft. Anyways , here are a few pics ,ill be putting some better ones in another 'completed' thread. cheers tony

View attachment 31369

View attachment 31370

View attachment 31371

View attachment 31372

View attachment 31373

P1080914 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1080912 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1080910 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1080911 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1080909 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
That is simply beautiful Tony.

Congrats and 5 stars!

Paul

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
That is the bees knees! Well done Tony.

5* from me to!

Ian M

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I agree an absolute stunner and what a finish. Nice one Tony,it just goes to show what can be done with an old kit with a bit of perseverance and a lot of skill.

Cheers

Steve

W

wanna_be_aviator

Yet another great build tony! I love every aspect of it and the scratch built parts look superb. I am a fan.

Cheers

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
***** Tony!

A beautiful 'silk purse' from a 'sow's ear'!

Maybe we'll see another version of this from another kit maker now that they can see how truly nice the original looked.

Gern

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Thanks dave, yes i agree its well overdue for a new tooling, it would look awesome in 1/32 or 1/24, actually a state of the art kit would be welcome in ANY scale !!! Its a beautiful machine though isnt it? and instrumental in the development of the mosquito's plywood construction techniques too so its historically important to boot! cheers tony . p.s. hope to see you at cosford!!

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
I've got a pair of these sitting here for my daughters to have a go at, and they are quite poor models. Obviously very tired moulds, so for Tony to produce this result, a lot of hard work was needed. Very nice job.

Now, as it looks like you've got the hang of this, PM me your address and I'll send two more over !!

Regards

Colin M.........