Airfix Mossie 1/72

First Name
Mike
Another old Airfix kit, done in Israeli markings. The Mosquito is a fairly basic kit and benefits from rescribing (pretty straightforward, not too many panel lines) and a bit of added detail in the cockpit. The canopy was sanded smooth and polished as the framing is rather heavy. I used salt to weather the upper wings to depict fading, stained and scuffed paintwork.

(Hope I'm not monopolising the board BTW; I've been away from the forums for a couple of years during which I've built quite a few models and now have the opportunity to post, but LMK if it's too frequent.)

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Eh? Monopolise the Forum o_O No way, it is a treat to me and others to see your models, the salt technique is a very clever idea, I tried using various shades to simulate what you achieved with worse results, very handy tip. Beautifully made and a quality finish. Once more a great build and treat to the eye.

Si:smiling3:

First Name
Mike
Thanks Si. Different forums have different posting etiquette and it's usually 'unspoken', and I don't want to tick anybody off. I appreciate the feedback.

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
I don't think anybody would have anything to say regarding looking at your work.

A

AJay

Mike, that weathered NMF you've achieved looks superb! A very clean build and I really like the neat canopy, the part I always dread on my own models.

p.s. you mentioned using salt to weather, but can you share your method, if that's okay of course?

First Name
Mike
\ said:
Mike, that weathered NMF you've achieved looks superb! A very clean build and I really like the neat canopy, the part I always dread on my own models. p.s. you mentioned using salt to weather, but can you share your method, if that's okay of course?
Thanks Ajay. The Mosquitos of course were wooden so it's a painted aluminum rather than a NMF, but would still fade and be stained with oil, fuel and grease. The salt weathering technique involves spraying a coat of the dirty/faded color first (in the Mossie's case I used a mid grey) and allowing to dry. Water is then sprayed over it and salt crystals sprinkled randomly over the wet areas. Once the water's dry the salt remains in place and a first top coat (silver here) can be misted on. More water is then sprayed to loosen the salt, which can be moved around with a brush to reposition the crystals; again, allow to dry, mist on more silver, and repeat as many times as you see fit. I think I did 4 applications on the Mossie. The crystals are then wet again and finally washed off, leaving an organic, random staining effect. It's much faster than it sounds, and I use a hair dryer on warm (not hot!) to dry the wet salt in between stages. Here's how it looks after the third stage – a bit stark, but the last misting of silver muted it all down.

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Thank you for the 'how-to' very good tip.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Wonderful work Mike. This is a pretty crude kit by today's standard but you have dragged it into the 21st century with this build. Unique markings too, a nice change. Look forward to the next one :smiling3:

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
As far as I'm concerned, you can post as many of your builds as you like! They're absolutely beautiful.

Gern

S

Stevekir

You are the bloke wot posted very good pics of your very good Ravell 1/72 Lanc on May 5, 2011. This mossie is equally good. Impressive. Very clean and convincing.

S

Stevekir

\ said:
Thanks Ajay. The Mosquitos of course were wooden so it's a painted aluminum rather than a NMF
Did you use ordinary aluminium paint (rather than Alclad or something special)? If so, what make and number please? If not Alclad etc, the finish is very good for aluminium.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Beautiful job mike , great to see a mossie in israeli markings too , a rarely seen thing. The silver really shows off the elegant shape and the weathering of the paint is brilliant , cheers tony

First Name
Mike
Thank you all for looking and taking the time to comment. :smiling3:

\ said:
Did you use ordinary aluminium paint (rather than Alclad or something special)? If so, what make and number please? If not Alclad etc, the finish is very good for aluminium.
Cheers Steve. Tamiya AS-12 silver was used as the base colour, decanted from the rattle-can and airbrushed over a coat of their white primer. Unlike Alclad it’s a paint rather than a metallizer so it's more opaque, but dries almost as fast.