Airfix spitfire

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
I’m supposed to be winding my desk down to decorate the room but unfortunately this fell into a bag during a wander around our local Aldi. I haven’t built a spit since I was at school or hand painted an aircraft either since then. The reason I don’t hand paint showed quite quickly. It’s not a bad little kit but a few minor fit issues and very sparse on decals, there are none for under the wings. So here it is warts and all, oh and it’s 1/72
50BB5819-CB7A-452D-8FE2-127EE047D924.jpeg

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Nicely done.

I built one with different markings from the Battle of Britain and that too did not have underwing roundels. I can't remember exactly what it said but I read somewhere something to the effect that under wing roundels didn't come in till a bit later. That's said it had plenty of other decals.

No doubt one of the wingy experts can confirm that.

ATB.

Andrew

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
Nicely done.

I built one with different markings from the Battle of Britain and that too did not have underwing roundels. I can't remember exactly what it said but I read somewhere something to the effect that under wing roundels didn't come in till a bit later. That's said it had plenty of other decals.

No doubt one of the wingy experts can confirm that.

ATB.

Andrew
Thanks Andrew that might explain it

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Mick
That's a great result. With a bit of care these Airfix Starter kits make into nice models. Did you use the kit's paint?
Jim

Ron - these kits have been on sale in our local Aldi for a few weeks. Not many left now, not surprising at £4.99 and Christmas just around the corner.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks Jim.
I bought a fair few last Christmas and you are right, they do make up into great models, as Mick has shown with his offering too.

Off I go to Aldi tomorrow. Just my luck, all that will be left will be the bl***y Victory or Cutty Sark!

Sorry for the slight diversion Mick!

Ron

PaulinKendal

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I love this! It shows how you can make an excellent finished model out of a simple 'starter' kit - but that's no starter result Mick, for sure!

I must've made this as a child, and it's great to see its potential like this. The canopy is particularly neat - but it does remind me of the smudged horrors of my youth!

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Lovely result Mick, it's a gem of a kit isn't it

tigersteve

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I got this same kit from my daughter 3 years ago ( free with a newspaper ) - I sort of did it as a bit of fun,having not done any model making for decades! Didn't try very hard, so not a great result :tears-of-joy:
It did the job and rekindled my interest in the hobby !

IMG_1281.jpg