Airfix - Westland LYNX Mk.90B - 1/48

Hello,

Just have finished this and I'd like to share with you.

First as usual, couple things about the kit. i was really really surprised when I first open the box. First glance on some pieces, mainly the fuselage and the cabin and only thing I could say was "wow!". The "wow" factor ended couple steps later. Don't get me wrong, most of the kitis really amazing. Great detail, a lot of rivets and nice panel lines, but when I get to the engine cowling I was shocked. I've looked on different websites to see if real Lynx has this section completely flat, as on this kit.. Well it still looked good. then I went to fitting the main canopy and beautiful 1mm gap appeared! I've managed to fill it with some putty, but I don't really like surprises like this. I don't mind some gaps, but this one was way too big. Other disappointment was engine intake cover which should be a mesh, but in the kit is made with clear plastic. I scratch build it with some old PE leftovers.

The kit gives you couple options of the aircraft to build. I decided to build anti-piracy Danish version. I kind like it I must say.

I've installed an internal light to lighten up the cabin a bit. It was just a try before my general and main project for this year and it worked fine.

Ok, no more talking, there come the pictures:

Light off:

View attachment 104375

View attachment 104376

Light on:

View attachment 104377

View attachment 104378

View attachment 104379

View attachment 104380

View attachment 104381

View attachment 104382

View attachment 104383

View attachment 104384

View attachment 104385

View attachment 104386

View attachment 104387

View attachment 104388

View attachment 104389

View attachment 104390

Thanks!

Bart.

DSC_7221.jpg

DSC_7225.jpg

DSC_7230.jpg

DSC_7231.jpg

DSC_7235.jpg

DSC_7239.jpg

DSC_7241.jpg

DSC_7243.jpg

DSC_7249.jpg

DSC_7251.jpg

DSC_7253.jpg

DSC_7254.jpg

DSC_7255.jpg

DSC_7258.jpg

DSC_7260.jpg

DSC_7261.jpg

L

Laurie

Very nice build Bart.

Think that there are a number of things with kits. Like cars there is a Monday Car and a late Friday Car.

On the Merlin I built I had a bout a .5 mm gap rear fuselage to canopy. But I think it was a dual effort some of Airfix and some of me. But these relatively small problems do bring out a model makers ingenuity and skill so I do not make to much fuss.

Have this to build soon so will look out for those problems plus a few more built in by me.

Laurie

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
That is very nice Bart well done on the colour it looks fab :smiling3:

C

Caledonia

That's a beauty Bart, you should be very proud of that one. The interior light and details are excellent.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Nice Lynx Bart. The Danish markings are something a little different, great stuff.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Well I like it. Lol I did mine as a Dane as well. A good idea with the light.

Ian M

First Name
Aaron
I lot of great detail and the time spent on this kit really shows. Great build mate.

L

Laurie

Sorry Bart your gongs have gone. So I give you a gong.

Laurie

Thanks for all posts.

@Laurie well, after all we're not modelling for any gongs, but thanks. But yeah, I must say that it was a form of apreciation.

First Name
Neil
Right, strike the Danish version from my one in the stash - would pale into insignificance with this :mad:

The interior light really works for the details on the back of the seats, a great addition, but seriously: " It was just a try before my general and main project for this year and it worked fine." so this is just a little number you threw together then? :eek: We need a "weeps copiously" smiley.

\ said:
Right, strike the Danish version from my one in the stash - would pale into insignificance with this :mad:
The interior light really works for the details on the back of the seats, a great addition, but seriously: " It was just a try before my general and main project for this year and it worked fine." so this is just a little number you threw together then? :eek: We need a "weeps copiously" smiley.
There is just one small 3mm LED along with a small 6V battery and a resistor:smiling3: and a switch of course. Simples!

takeslousyphotos

No Tears Please. It's a Waste of Good Suffering.
First Name
Peter
That's a cracking job Bart ........ Superb detailling and thhe light inside is a great touch.

Peter

N

noble

Beautiful work and that light in the main cabin really makes a difference.

scott

Snowman

We come in peace, so shoot to kill!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
SWEET!!

I like the internal lighting to show up the interior - nice touch there!

D

Deleted member 3568

Well I don't care what problems you had with this kit, they don't show ( I know nothing about helicopters, never built one, I have a 1/48 in the stash part of the airfix herrick set ) but that is truly stunning, I love it.