Airfix's new Spitfire XII

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
As an excuse to take a break from the spotty Jag, I did this over the week end. I really had plans on doing a blow by blow, being a newer kit. TBH I just got on with it and before I knew it it was built!! You know how it goes.

Anyhow. A quick bit about the kit. Airfix have gotten their act together. Its a lovely build and is close to being 'Tamiya' fit. The only area that gave rise to a bit of filler was the seam on the nose cowl. Also for some odd reason the petrol filler location is just a low point almost as if there should of been a cap or lid. I could not find one on the instructions or the sprues!!!

The open canopy idea is not one of Airfix's better ideas and involves cutting part of the fuselage away. Also the part of the fuselage you cut away then has to be painted on the INSIDE of the canopy.

The Decal sheet is some of the best I have seen out of an Airfix kit. I could guess that they should have a mark on them printed in Italy by you know who....

Enough waffle:View attachment 31877 View attachment 31876 View attachment 31879 View attachment 31878

Paints are Xtracrylics and finished off with a coat of Valejo satin varnish.

The fine for the parked up with flaps down is paid. There are two sets of flaps in the kit by the way, for both up and down. Also all the control surfaces are separate should you wise to pose them "in action" I just went for the relaxed hang type of pose....

A nice kit worth the money. Now then Mr. Airfix: get yer finger out and make some of the other marks in the same scale.

Ian M

View attachment 36848

View attachment 36849

View attachment 36850

View attachment 36851

IMAG0158.jpg

IMAG0159.jpg

IMAG0160.jpg

IMAG0161.jpg

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Looks a lovely kit ian, and a great job youve done. What scale is it?Im guessing 1/48, unless youve got really small hands!! It really seems like airfix are trying very hard to give modellers what they want,what with the poseable flaps etc. and it sounds like theyve listened to the complaints about poor decal quality on fairly recent kits and sorted it , full marks! Once again ,a top build ,and quite a relaxing distraction i imagine after decalling the jag!! cheers tony

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Nice job Ian and it looks like a nice kit too. It's good to see Airfix getting their act together,they have produced some quality kits recently.

I'm of an age that remembers when any plastic scale model was an Airfix,rather as every vacuum cleaner was a Hoover,so it really is good to see them alive and kicking.

Did you really build that over a weekend? I've always wondered how people do that :smiling5:

Cheers

Steve

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Thanks chaps.

Tony yes its the new 1/48 scale as is my favourite scale. Big enough to see, small enough to display.

Steve, I started to build it Friday night. That was the cockpit. which is actually very well detailed. Took a bit longer as I drilled the lightening holes out!

Saturday I built the fuselage and got the seams sorted. Sunday got the wings sorted and on. A really good fit to. I think I used a smudge of filler on the bottom join where the wing meets the bottom of the fuselage.

Primed it Sunday before I went to bed.

The prop and U/C got sorted as I was waiting for paint to dry etc. Painting it tool the rest of the week with an hour here and there.

So it was a quick and painless build even for me.

Glad you liked it. I now have two Seafire F. XVII stareing at me. Why Two? One wings up one wings down. lol Truth be told I ordered one from John as Scale Model Shop and the same day I got the parcel from him I got an e-mail from my local, saying my Seafire has arrived. I forgot that I had ordered one from him!!! Oh what a pity

Ian M

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Ian, that's one very rapid coming together. Very nice indeed.

Well done,

Ron

First Name
Chris
Nice one Ian, that looks great. Glad to have spotted your post as i bought the very same kit a couple of weeks ago for the stash after eading some good reviews and it's next on my build list so good to read of your build.

Nice work that man!

Regards

Chris