Alternative decal setters

KarlW

Mediocre modeller extraodinaire.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Karl
Has anyone tried Tamiya decal setting and softener solutions on Tamiya decals?
Now that's just crazy talk...........
I did find a review an the AMPS site, can't link as they all go to the home page, says that mark fit is really no better or worse than others out there. And does mention that Tamiya decals are pretty impervious to all decal solutions where as cartograph aren't. But the strong seems to work as he used Tamiya decals for his review.
Might grab both bottles then post my own findings.

Last edited:

Geoffers

SMF Supporter
First Name
Geoff
Daco strong setting solution is my weapon of choice for stubborn decals.
It seems to do the trick quite nicely with thick decals.
Unfortunately it’s not readily available in the uk anymore and the cost of added overseas postage make it a bit to pricey for me :confused:

Geoff.

dalej2014

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dale

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Avoid, if possible, Montex as they are all vinyl but if these are the only choice then they are still preferable to decals.

Not sure why you have an aversion to Montex. But i've never had a problem with them.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Being vinyl they do not bed into detail and also lift on compound curves. The canopy masks are the worse, almost unusable.
I have only used them once and have had exactly the same issues Barry. This is why I’ve only used them once :thumb2:

Geoffers

SMF Supporter
First Name
Geoff
Being vinyl they do not bed into detail and also lift on compound curves. The canopy masks are the worse, almost unusable.

I agree, the only time I have used Montex canopy masks they kept peeling off at the edges.
I ended up using them as templates to cut out Tamiya tape which defeats the whole point of buying them :angry:

Geoff.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Well i used them on my Bf109 G6 and they were ok on that. Guess it's just how you use them then