American Bulldog

First Name
Mike
This is the Airfix 1/72 Bristol Bulldog in the markings of one of the aircraft sent to the U.S. for trials; I couldn't find photos of the scheme so based it on a written description in the Mushroom book on the type. The model is rigged with stainless steel wire and has had quite a bit of added detail/refinement, although the basic kit is one of Airfix's best from the early 70s.

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Now that is beautiful ! Love the rigging you've done a great job on that well done sir :smiling3:

First Name
Richard
I only can repeat that what Alan sad very excellent modelling Sir.

Cheers Richi

B

Bunkerbarge

I think this kit has stood the test of time better than a lot of the old Airfix kits but you have done a stunning job of this one. I really can't believe this is 1/72nd scale, I couldn't get one in 1/32nd to look this good. Beautiful finish and detail but the rigging makes it really stand out.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Another work of art Mike. Outstanding

Ian M

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Theres many a good tune played on an old piano!, I just love it when an old kit gets the treatment and looks like this. I think Airfix are somewhat unfairly given a lot of Flak for some of their older mouldings , as can be seen here they can be made into a stunning model. Ok the old airfix company DID flog a good few dead horses that should have been consigned to the bin years ago (mig 15 ,me 110 ,dh 88 comet etc) but that seems to be all that people bang on about , there were just as many excellent moulds being made and sold by them too (S.A. bulldog , strikemaster, fouga magister , p 51, f80 ,f86d, CAC boomerang to name a few) all good fitting kits of well chosen subjects with perfectly acceptable detail for the time . I hope you keep on proving the airfix bashers wrong mike , and hopefully they wont just keep on repeating what theyve read elsewhere and have a go at one of these classics. Sorry ,rant over!, anyway you might have guessed I like it a lot!! great build mate , keep em coming , cheers tony

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Indeed a great piece of work. What silver did you use Mike. It looks very 'in' scale.

Colin M..

First Name
Mike
Thanks for the kind comments guys, glad you like the Bulldog :smiling3:

\ said:
Theres many a good tune played on an old piano!, I just love it when an old kit gets the treatment and looks like this. I think Airfix are somewhat unfairly given a lot of Flak for some of their older mouldings , as can be seen here they can be made into a stunning model. Ok the old airfix company DID flog a good few dead horses that should have been consigned to the bin years ago (mig 15 ,me 110 ,dh 88 comet etc) but that seems to be all that people bang on about , there were just as many excellent moulds being made and sold by them too (S.A. bulldog , strikemaster, fouga magister , p 51, f80 ,f86d, CAC boomerang to name a few) all good fitting kits of well chosen subjects with perfectly acceptable detail for the time . I hope you keep on proving the airfix bashers wrong mike , and hopefully they wont just keep on repeating what theyve read elsewhere and have a go at one of these classics. Sorry ,rant over!, anyway you might have guessed I like it a lot!! great build mate , keep em coming , cheers tony
I could have written that myself, Tony. I'm not exactly an Airfix 'fanboy' – I'd be the first to agree there have been many dogs in their range and some pretty dreadful marketing in the past – but OTOH they've produced many classics, some of subjects that haven't been kitted since, and I'm really impressed with the new direction they're going in. They actually seem to be listening to feedback from their customer base and as a result their kits are getting better and better, appealing to us enthusiasts as well as the schoolboy market.

If I'm honest with myself I have to admit I get far more modelling pleasure from beating an old Airfix kit into submission than throwing together the latest Eduard or Tamiya kit. Sure, the results may be nicer but the journey there isn't half as rewarding as the 'Old School' way. Maybe I'm just Old ;)

Indeed a great piece of work. What silver did you use Mike. It looks very 'in' scale.
Thanks Colin! The metal panels are Alclad Polished Aluminum, the fabric is Alclad Dull Aluminum with a flat coat on top.

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
I rated this great build earlier having looked at the model. Now I am back to offer this: A wonderful build on an old kit and one that has taken an old kit to new heights of excellence by a very skilled person. As has been said, 1/72 it maybe...but you would think it was a bigger scale the finish, detailing and photography are all combined to show a sublime piece of work.

Si:smiling3:

B

Bari

Stunning build, and the rigging sublime, makes my effort look as if I had used rope. What gauge wire did you use?

First Name
Mike
Thanks for your kind comments Barry and Graham. Barry, I used .005" stainless steel wire for the rigging.