American tanks WWII

First Name
Michaël
Hi modellers,i know the first layer of a german tank is red/brown to paint the hull's

But for a American tank i really don't know.

Or British tanks....

Anyone that can help me??

i wanna made a worn effect so hard that it looks like a tank 100 years after the war

thanks Razz/Michaël

First Name
Dave
\ said:
Hi modellers,i know the first layer of a german tank is red/brown to paint the hull's
But for a American tank i really don't know.

Or British tanks....

Anyone that can help me??

i wanna made a worn effect so hard that it looks like a tank 100 years after the war

thanks Razz/Michaël
I haven't a clue but I'm sure dubster72 /Patrick will be able to help and lots of others too. :smiling3:

First Name
Robert
Hi there thought I would try and help you a little if I can. I have an encyclopaedia on tanks and from reading:-

Early German tanks were light to dark grey primer. Larger the Germans used a variety of red oxide primer but this differed in shades ( I.e eastern built tanks for the Wehrmacht like in Czech Republic were a more redder oxide primer ( 38t ( marders etc )

With the U.S they used a light green chromite primer on tanks such as " honeys" Stuart's and lees etc but midway through 1942/3 they changed the main primer to oxide red which was a lighter shade than that of the Germans ( more grey in the red ) you will find majority of Sherman's had red oxide paint

British tanks from ref used a similar red oxide paint like on Cromwell, Churchills and armoured vehicles artillery followed the same

Have put couple of pics for ref

The last pic shows what American Sherman engine bay

Hope this helps Robert

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg