Amusing Hobby 1/35 Panzerkampfwagen VII VK 7201 (K)

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Awful weather + early retirement = Den time...and a can of course!

Here's the finished turret. Again a straight forward build. Just a little filler required on a joint below the gun mantlet where a big underneath part joins onto the upper turret moulding.

P1210843.JPG

P1210844.JPG

All three elements now ready for a coat of German Grey. I don't use primer so the paint will be brushed directly on to the plastic.

Now where's me big flat headed brush?!

Cheers.
Ron

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Sorry jakko, with you writing "To get to any inner wheel requires taking off "only" five", you hadn't spotted a couple would only take three to get at the inner one........I didn't realise you already knew. My mistake.......:thumb2:
I was kind of aiming for the worst-case scenario in both cases :smiling3:

Here is the finished upper deck/hull.
I first thought it was the rear deck, but then I noticed the periscopes and hatches :smiling3:

I don't use primer so the paint will be brushed directly on to the plastic.
I don’t see a need to use primer either on plastic models, though I do when it comes to metal parts, as paint rubs off too easily from those for my liking. TBH I’d apply a quick coat of grey primer (to match the plastic :smiling3:) from a spraying can to at least the fender braces and engine deck screens if this were my model.

prichrd1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Ron,

Looks good overall so far, like the size of the turret to gun - it looks minuscule compared to a Tiger I - would there have been enough room in there for the breech?

Paul.
:smiling2:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Snow, snow, deep deep snow.
So off to my lovely den I go!

Thanks for the posts chaps.

Ron,

Looks good overall so far, like the size of the turret to gun - it looks minuscule compared to a Tiger I - would there have been enough room in there for the breech?
Paul.
Here you go Paul. Not a great difference in turret size from above but the Tiger I is only about half the height. It's just that gun...... !
P1210865.JPG

Cheers.
Ron

MikeC

Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Alright going to be silly, it's all this wall to wall sunshine.
Tell the truth, it is a toon tank and those two plates either side of the turret are where the boss puts his feet...
Back to sanity, That would have some problems in urban fighting with that barrel, makes the Tiger look miniscule. Does it say what caliber the gun was supposed to be?
Mike.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Does it say what caliber the gun was supposed to be?
Mike.
Hi Mike. Nothing on the box or instructions but I found out it would have had a 150mm. cannon and weighed in at 150 ton!

• Wow
Reactions: JR

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
With a nice big flat headed brush I've given the whole tank body a single coat of Vallejo Model Air German Grey. Luckily just one coat gave me excellent coverage - even on the P.E.

It all went together like a dream. Amusing Hobby might be a strange name for a manufacturer but this kit is superb.

Here it is painted, just a loose fit with all the bits added.

P1210860.JPG

P1210859.JPG

P1210861.JPG

P1210862.JPG

P1210863.JPG

P1210864.JPG

Cheers.
Ron

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks Rick. Glad you like it thus far.

It is a bit of a brute that's for sure.

Ron

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Rick, this morning I've made a start on the track links. My initial link total maths was all to cock.

Here is a shot of the track link sprues..... You can count them if you can be bothered - I can't!

You get a little jig which is 4.5cm. long. All the links in this shot fill the jig. Just to be awkward the ones in the lower right are two different types too!

First, the bigger links sort of loosely interlock together on the jig.

The separate links in contact with the road surface then glue into tiny holes in the above on top of the joints and hold them together. Once dry, the whole thing 'Hinges' very easily without coming apart.

So here's the result of a good half an hour's work to stick together 15 pieces to produce just 4.5 X 3cm. of working track!
All very clever, but Jeez, it's hard work on the old peepers!

Cheers.
Ron

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Ron
Rather you than me with those tracks. You're gonna need more than one can! Certainly does look a brute. Was this actually built and in service or is it just a design idea?
Jim

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks Jim. Cans at the ready!
The tracks will test my patience but I have to keep at it. It's no wonder the young toe rag didn't want to build this model.... :angry:

The design only existed on a blueprint and was never built.

Ron

• Haha
Reactions: JR

prichrd1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Ron,

Forget the cans - just invert the bottle - attach IV drip line - insert pointy end into arm!!!

How long is each track length????

I was thinking about purchasing this one - ermm - not so sure now!!
:flushed::flushed::flushed:

Paul.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Here is a shot of the track link sprues..... You can count them if you can be bothered - I can’t!
Each sprue is 9 × 4 links in size, so 36 links per sprue; six sprues like that makes 216 links.

You get a little jig which is 4.5cm. long. All the links in this shot fill the jig. Just to be awkward the ones in the lower right are two different types too!
What are those things, anyway? They look like offcuts or bits of flash or something, that you’d throw out.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Paul - Each track is about 16" / 40cm in length.

Jakko - They are the parts of the track that are in actual contact with the ground.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
They are the parts of the track that are in actual contact with the ground.
Oh, yes, I see that now you explain it. Is there a reason for them to be separate parts? Like, is there an undercut that would be impossible to mould if they were simply part of the link?