Amusing Hobby Centurion Mk 5 AVRE

wasdale32

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Picked up in the closing down sale of our local model shop after the sad passing of the owner.

This tank represents one of the Mk 5 Centurion AVREs that served in the first Gulf War.

Built pretty much out of the box - the kit is based on the Amusing Hobby Mk5 gun tank and the hull and running gear are very similar to offerings from AFV Club.

The main accuracy issue in the kit is usually stated to be the road wheels which lack the reinforcing rings seen on the real vehicle ( a moulding restriction ) but as the running gear is largely
hidden by the side skirts and armour packs I decided to use the kit wheels. The kit also lacks clear parts for the optics which would have been nice to have

The tracks are individual link "workable" type and do clip together fairly positively - I assembled them into "link & length" segments for ease of handling and painted before fitting.

I mostly followed the build instruction sequence but didn't fit the hull top and skirts until I'd painted the running gear which was then masked when priming and spraying the upper hull.

The kit itself was a clean build with all parts crisply moulded and little tidying up required.

The paint colour was mixed from a variety of Mr Color acrylics and may not be entirely accurate but I hope does look reasonably close.

The figures are from a 3D printable set supposed to be Challenger crew but have had some head swapping and a bit of minor surgery.

Awaiting a suitable base.

IMGP3991 (Large).JPGIMGP3992 (Large).JPGIMGP3993 (Large).JPGIMGP3994 (Large).JPGIMGP3995 (Large).JPGIMGP3996 (Large).JPGIMGP3997 (Large).JPGIMGP3998 (Large).JPGIMGP3999 (Large).JPG

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
That built up very well indeed. Crew look to fit nicely. Definitely one to be proud of.

A_J_Rimmer

SMF Supporter
First Name
Arnold
That's an absolutely fabulous build! :thumb2: :thumb2: :thumb2:

I had no idea that Centurions will still in service by that point - awesome!

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Cracking build Mark and very nicely presented too. :thumb2:

Well done.

Presentation of a finished model is something a fair few people ignore and can ruin what should be a nice end to a lot of hard work....Not so here.

Ron