Andy`s Aircraft Exploits.......

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Evenin` Guys,
Well i`m not exactly what you`d call a wingy thing builder,(not since my early childhood Airfix days anyway),but i`ve reached a point where i want to do the odd build away from my usual AFV subjects.:thumb2:
With that in mind,and to stop myself from stuffing up the "What`s on the bench" thread,i thought i`d make this thread live to post up my,what may be sparadic,progress on the planes i attempt to build.:thinking: Don`t expect too much,as i said,i`m not a plane builder,so they ain`t gonna be spectacular:flushed:....... HOWEVER,i am gonna do my very best,and hopefully pick up some tips from the REAL Aircraft chaps on here.... if they chose to chip in!
Without more ado,here`s the two i`m currently working on,fdirst the VERY old Airfix Arado AR 196.......
arado.jpg
ars1.jpg
Then a rather more recent Airfix Bristol Blenheim Mk 1........
1-HN-Ac-Airfix-Bristol-Blenheim-MkI-1.72.jpg
and as it is so far.........
bh1.jpg
So then,that kicks off my thread for my meagre attempts at getting some planes done!
Hope to see some of you pop in occasionally along the way;),
Cheers for now,
Andy

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
Nice one Andy, its always good to try something with less wheels. I've just finished my first 1/32 aircraft, the smallest of the three I have in the stash. First thing I noticed was the room these things need :smiling5: I'll definitely be watching this foray into all things wingy

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Andy
Good for you Sir :thumb2: It will be an interesting opportunity to compare the rather ancient Arado with the much newer Blenheim kit. I suspect the Blenheim will fit better, have better detail and will be better engineered but maybe not :thinking:
Jim

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Andy,
nice to see another modeller venturing away from their comfort zone! I couldn't stick to one genre, or subject - after all they're all models!
Dave
Cheers Dave,
I certainly do want to stretch my portfolio! Not sure that the ickle ships that you all build is on my agenda mind.... They`re just a step TOO SMALL!!:astonished:
Andy

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Nice one Andy, its always good to try something with less wheels. I've just finished my first 1/32 aircraft, the smallest of the three I have in the stash. First thing I noticed was the room these things need :smiling5: I'll definitely be watching this foray into all things wingy
Thanks Mick:thumb2:,
What was your 1/32 build?... I`ll take a peek! ..... and that was your SMALLEST :flushed:..... what else you got Sir?
Nice to have you along,
Andy

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
You will do absolutely fine Andy. Your nemesis might be track links in armour world, for many of us, it's canopy masking.
Cheers Colin!
I`ll do my best,but this will be a learning curve.... and will be a "Warts and all" type of thread:thumb2:,
Canopy masking is something that i`ve been concerned about from the very start!!:thinking:
Andy

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Hi Andy
Good for you Sir :thumb2: It will be an interesting opportunity to compare the rather ancient Arado with the much newer Blenheim kit. I suspect the Blenheim will fit better, have better detail and will be better engineered but maybe not :thinking:
Jim
Hi Jim,Thank you,
Yes,you`d think so wouldn`t you?.... however,(and remember that i`m FAR from a reliable source regarding Aircraft kits),the Arado has gone together so well it`s been a pleasure.... although due to it`s age,the decals just fell apart when in water!!:anguished: Don`t get me wrong,the Blenheim`s been great too:thumb2:,
Andy

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
ble.jpg
The Blenheim there,I thought that as i wanted to make this thread interesting,i`d approach each build as a learning curve from the previous,(Or not as the case may be:tears-of-joy:!!),therefore,as a youngun i`d shove em together as fast as possible,smack a load of enamel paint on,and move on to the next build/victim,and always wonder why that horrible seam on the fuselage join was there!:astonished:I`m not just going to blast through the builds,but they will be done and shown "Warts and all"..... so hopefully there will be a noticable improvement going on.... no matter how small!!:tears-of-joy:... Here`s the Arado,floats fitted,(A superb alignment with the positioning points on the wings),some decals on,but the fuselage ones just broke up when being readied for positioning,(Just due to their age really),you`ll also notice that they need dull coating yet.......
ar1.jpg
I used masking tape for the camo,but have managed to get quite a ridge between colours.... may get some liquid mask for future builds.Finally for this update,i don`t like to stand still and want to keep things rolling along so the next victim is this little baby......
fw1.jpg
Got this for an absolute bargain from Evilbay,and only just realised that there`s an etch fret,and some resin parts in there!!
So there we are for now.... nothing earth shattering,but you expected no different eh?!!;)
Be back in a few days with,hopefully,a more inspiring update!!
Thanks for looking in guys,as always,any,and all,comments,thoughts or plain old abuse very welcomed!!
Andy

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
View attachment 439523
The Blenheim there,I thought that as i wanted to make this thread interesting,i`d approach each build as a learning curve from the previous,(Or not as the case may be:tears-of-joy:!!),therefore,as a youngun i`d shove em together as fast as possible,smack a load of enamel paint on,and move on to the next build/victim,and always wonder why that horrible seam on the fuselage join was there!:astonished:I`m not just going to blast through the builds,but they will be done and shown "Warts and all"..... so hopefully there will be a noticable improvement going on.... no matter how small!!:tears-of-joy:... Here`s the Arado,floats fitted,(A superb alignment with the positioning points on the wings),some decals on,but the fuselage ones just broke up when being readied for positioning,(Just due to their age really),you`ll also notice that they need dull coating yet.......
View attachment 439524
I used masking tape for the camo,but have managed to get quite a ridge between colours.... may get some liquid mask for future builds.Finally for this update,i don`t like to stand still and want to keep things rolling along so the next victim is this little baby......
View attachment 439525
Got this for an absolute bargain from Evilbay,and only just realised that there`s an etch fret,and some resin parts in there!!
So there we are for now.... nothing earth shattering,but you expected no different eh?!!;)
Be back in a few days with,hopefully,a more inspiring update!!
Thanks for looking in guys,as always,any,and all,comments,thoughts or plain old abuse very welcomed!!
Andy
Andy,
interesting to see how you get on with the Fw189 - I've looked at these, and the thing that has put me off is all that glazing! Definitely a case for a masking set ( if available! ). Then again I note that the Arado & the Blenheim have a lot of windows...................
Dave

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Andy,
interesting to see how you get on with the Fw189 - I've looked at these, and the thing that has put me off is all that glazing! Definitely a case for a masking set ( if available! ). Then again I note that the Arado & the Blenheim have a lot of windows...................
Dave
Dave,
Yes,i see what you mean re the amount of canopy masking type stuff required, :flushed:
Silly i know,but that`s EXACTLY why i like aircraft with a lot of that stuff.... stupid really,as it`ll be a nightmare to do,especially with me being so inexperienced with that kinda thing.
However,my thinking is,look at em,like em,do em,..... and do em until you get good at em!!....
I hope i do manage to suss that bit,because 3 of the planes i`d like to have a crack at in the future are the He 111,Ju88 and a Blenheim MKIV;),
Andy

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Dave,
Yes,i see what you mean re the amount of canopy masking type stuff required, :flushed:
Silly i know,but that`s EXACTLY why i like aircraft with a lot of that stuff.... stupid really,as it`ll be a nightmare to do,especially with me being so inexperienced with that kinda thing.
However,my thinking is,look at em,like em,do em,..... and do em until you get good at em!!....
I hope i do manage to suss that bit,because 3 of the planes i`d like to have a crack at in the future are the He 111,Ju88 and a Blenheim MKIV;),
Andy
You are weird, weird, weird --- but I like that philosophy! (What does that say about me I wonder?) :thinking:
Steve