Andy T's 1/48 Tamiya Ilyushin il-2 Sturmovik

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Hi all and thank you for letting me join in with this group build.

I bought this kit a short time ago based on its looks but since it's a suitable candidate I thought I'd join the fun and build along with the rest of you.

1000004538.jpg

I've ordered a small amount of aftermarket like Quinta cockpit details and a Montex masking kit, and haven't even sorted the paints out yet, but here are the sprue shots and hopefully I'll get cracking soon.

1000004730.jpg

1000004731.jpg

1000004732.jpg

1000004733.jpg

Not sure how many of the decals I'll be using as I'm hoping to spray as many markings as I can. Tamiya include canopy masks but they are the usual printed but not cut out type, so I'm hoping the Montex ones will make life a little easier

1000004729.jpg

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Thanks for the welcome chaps.

I couldn't resist having a quick dabble and yes Tim, it looks a lovely one so far. I can't do much without the colours and cockpit details so I've started assembling the bombs & rockets, fuel tank(?) & prop. Anything black really as I'm sure I'll have some of that lying around lol.

2023-10-0818.20.247202134626278673648.jpg

I almost ordered the AK real colors set for the camo but found someone with all the MRP versions in stock, so it'll get treated to the good stuff.

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Thanks chaps, I can't do a great deal until the paint turns up as almost every part has a bit of the interior colour on it somewhere it seems, so carried on with the black parts, which are ready for a bit of jazzing up now:

2023-10-09 13.33.10.jpg

I hollowed out the exhaust pipes as much as I dare:

2023-10-09 10.45.44.jpg

And assembled the little wingy things that fit at the back:

2023-10-09 13.33.27.jpg

I think that's about as far as I can go until postie gets here.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Great work on those opening up those exhausts Andy.

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Well, the interior decals & masks have arrived but still no sight of the paint. I haven't even had a confirmation email from the retailer, just my PayPal transaction receipt. Nor have they answered my email.

I've dealt with them before and consider them reputable so I think it's just my MRP curse coming into play :smiling5:

On the plus side the 3d decals look a very close match for Mr color neutral grey, so I'll be using that for the cockpit, radiator intakes, gear bays etc.

Jostro65

SMF Supporter
First Name
Ritchie
Looking at some of these builds and so much work and detailing going into them. I almost feel guilty for having spent so little on my small plane with no extras!

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Looking at some of these builds and so much work and detailing going into them. I almost feel guilty for having spent so little on my small plane with no extras!
These group builds are absolutely not about how much you spend mate, just how much you enjoy the build, so no need to feel that way :smiling3:

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
These group builds are absolutely not about how much you spend mate, just how much you enjoy the build, so no need to feel that way :smiling3:
Well said that man!

Geoffers

SMF Supporter
First Name
Geoff
Nice start Andy :thumb2:

Hopefully your paint turns up soon, very frustrating for you :disappointed2:

Geoff.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Nice start andy , its a lovely looking kit . Are the decals as thick as normal for Tamiya or have they started listening to feedback and changed them ? They dont look too bad in the pic .

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Yes Tony, they do look thinner than tamiya decals I've used before. They are certainly better than the Pibber ones I did a week or so back, almost having a taper at the edge.

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Like the last tamiya bird I built the cockpit slides in after the fuselage has gone together, meaning it's out of harms way while dealing with any joint lines etc.

So after fitting the radiator cooling duct and dummy engine, I cemented the two halves together, working a section at a time for the best possible fit, which is much better than the picture makes it appear!

It will need a bit of sanding but I'd be very surprised if it needed any filler.

1000004822.jpg

1000004823.jpg

The Quinta interior decals went well. After perusing a few reference pictures I've ignored the Tamiya painting instructions and gone with colours I've seen on a few different aircraft.

The surface detail needs removing for most of the decals but I haven't fitted every last one. A bit like photo etch, just because it's on the sheet doesn't mean it's a worthwhile improvement.

The pieces are soaked in water to remove them from the backing sheet (like regular decals) but additional adhesive is recommended so I fixed most of them in place with pva. Because the seat belts curve I allowed them to dry out after their soaking and used CA to fix them for a quicker bond.

1000004827.jpg

Then here's most of it slotted together for a dry test fit before a few touch ups and some weathering

1000004829.jpg

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Thanks mate, I'll bear that in mind.

The bands on the fuel tank are moulded on but do look rough in that shot I'd agree. That was only their first quick coat and they do look a lot better after a second.

I also have some aluminum and chrome tape for just such occasions.

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Just caught up with this Andy,
Superb looking cockpit mate,the details really pop out :cool:.