Andy T's 1/48 Tamiya Swordfish (Papa 695's Build a Bi-plane GB)

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Thanks to Ian for hosting this GB. It's the first time I've built a biplane so picked a relatively safe kit. It built up really well apart from the pe rigging on the wings, which I just couldn't get right. If I did it again I'd use something flexible like ez line, which won't go wonky as the wings flex.

Thanks for letting me join in and I hope you like the pictures.

1000006228.jpg

1000006237.jpg

1000006238.jpg

1000006239.jpg

1000006241.jpg

1000006244.jpg

1000006242.jpg

1000006243.jpg

1000006245.jpg

1000006246.jpg

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Great job Andy. That’s a really good looking build :thumb2:

langy71

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Very nice indeed, really looks the part, those colours are gorgeous, certainly built a stunner ... :thumb2: :thumb2:

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
NoThanks to Ian for hosting this GB. It's the first time I've built a biplane so picked a relatively safe kit. It built up really well apart from the pe rigging on the wings, which I just couldn't get right. If I did it again I'd use something flexible like ez line, which won't go wonky as the wings flex.

Thanks for letting me join in and I hope you like the pictures.

View attachment 500068

View attachment 500069

View attachment 500070

View attachment 500071

View attachment 500072

View attachment 500073

View attachment 500074

View attachment 500075

View attachment 500076

View attachment 500077
Bloody ell, that's amazing Andy...
... Bordering on Witchcraft I'd say!!:astonished:...
.. Think I'll chuck my entry into the bin after seeing this stunning build!!:tired::dizzy::disappointed2:

peterairfix

SMF Supporter
First Name
peter
Great build there Andy I can see what you mean about the pe rigging I have a kit with like and I instantly disposed of it and went back to the traditional way

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Andy
Your Swordfish is stunning! That’s an incredible result. The paint finish, subtle weathering and rigging are all simply perfect.
Bravo sir!

Cheers
Paul

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Beautiful job andy , a fantastic aircraft with a fascinating history. The paintwork is just superb and the brilliant cockpit is thankfully still very visible . Shame the PE rigging was a pain but you can see why Tamiya did it- the main rigging on the swordfish was actual aerofoil shaped rods not wire cables , just a pity that the PE is still a bit too flexible , they would have been better off supplying steel rods of some sort . Anyways its a fantastic build , i’m sure this will inspire lots of people to get one of these ( i’m very tempted now!) , cheers tony

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Thanks Tony.

The more I mull it over the more I think I could have done better.

1000006254.jpg

As you can see, one end of the pe (circled) has a tab to bend so that it fits straight into the holes you have opened out in the wings.

The other end slides in at an angle. I reckon I should have enlarged these holes to allow them to slip in more easily. I had to force them a bit, which I think kinked the stainless steel somewhat.

I'd also leave that end unglued, at least until I had them all in place. Turning the model this way & that to reach the others inevitably caused the wings to flex and lozenge, buckling the ones I'd already fixed. If one end could slide freely that might not have happened.

Too late now but I'm still very happy with it and have learned a lesson for next time (don't be so heavy handed!) :smiling3:

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Thanks Tony.

The more I mull it over the more I think I could have done better.

View attachment 500155

As you can see, one end of the pe (circled) has a tab to bend so that it fits straight into the holes you have opened out in the wings.

The other end slides in at an angle. I reckon I should have enlarged these holes to allow them to slip in more easily. I had to force them a bit, which I think kinked the stainless steel somewhat.

I'd also leave that end unglued, at least until I had them all in place. Turning the model this way & that to reach the others inevitably caused the wings to flex and lozenge, buckling the ones I'd already fixed. If one end could slide freely that might not have happened.

Too late now but I'm still very happy with it and have learned a lesson for next time (don't be so heavy handed!) :smiling3:
Hi Andy
I’ve heard similar stories about the rigging on the 1/32 Trumpeter kit. The wings do flex when being handled and the etch does have a tendency to ping off. Your experience will serve as a lesson for me when I get to that stage.

I have to say though that this in no way detracts from a simply stunning model. Your Swordfish is very impressive.
Cheers
Paul