Andy T's 1/72 Takom M1070

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Thanks everyone.

I may get some primer on this before I start building the trailer. Maybe even get the interior painted & buttoned up.

Paint is a sore point. I wanted to try something different on this but I couldn't work out which colours I needed in S M S, and MRP would have meant ordering from a few different places due to the usual stock problems, so I'm sticking with the old reliable Mr Color as I bought their NATO colour set recently.

Still not sure I'm up to a 3 colour scheme in 1/72. I've seen the amazing Plasmo / David Damek do it with stencils but I'm far from his level! If the updates suddenly stop you'll know the answer :smiling5:

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Interior painted and then buttoned up before I took a picture of it :rolling:

2023-09-09 17.32.08.jpg

I've made a start on the trailer which seems to be an exercise in "let's see how high we can get the parts count" . I've added 32 parts to this deck (should have been 33 but lost one!) but I'm sure it could have been moulded in. Mostly tie downs and chocks I believe.

2023-09-09 17.23.18.jpg

The underside is going to be similar. These parts are very fragile and I held my breath when snipping them from the sprue. Nicely detailed but will be almost completely hidden by the wheels so I'm not going to risk breakage by cleaning them up much

2023-09-09 18.45.17.jpg

Talking of wheels they are probably on the agenda for tomorrow. All 40 of the little darlings!

2023-09-09 18.13.46.jpg

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Looking very nice.
Must confess I saw the 135 scale off this truck and trailer on offer for a great price but where to put it...

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
That is really stunning for a 1/72 model. Many manufacturers equate a high parts count with excellent detail. That isn't always true but here Takom seem to have pulled it off.

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Thanks, yes it's turning out to be a well designed and detailed kit.

I'll have to put some thought into painting all of those wheels and I can't imagine I'll get all 40 to touch the ground with so little weight, but I will find a solution.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Well at least you got separate tyres so painting them should be simple. Good luck with getting them level.

The more I look at this, the more tempted I am so it's a good job pennies are a little tight at the moment else I'd have another big box to add to my collection!

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
For the price I'm more than happy Dave. The "value for money", as in modelling hours, is great when you think it's pretty much 3 detailed kits in the box.

I wanted to get the bed fixed to the spine this morning. We're off doing the rounds gardening for elderly relatives today so it'll have a good few hours to set up.

With multiple tabs to fit into tight slots it was a bit of a wrestle. Get some in and others pop out. I didn't want a bowed load surface though so persevered, and once all the tabs were in place the fit was as perfect as you could expect.

I clamped it up to make sure nothing moved and applied the slower TET everywhere.

PXL_20230910_083546911.jpg

A couple more pieces to add when we return then it's on to the wheels. I reckon I'll spray them on the sprue first to make life much easier!

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
So it turned out to be a big mistake spraying the wheels on the sprue, at least with the random can of black I used. The TET wouldn't eat through it like it does with my regular paints, which made gluing up the wheels & bogies a bit of a faff. They kept coming apart and I had to go back in with the cement several times.

With 10 pieces to each bogie (plus tyres) that was a lesson learnt. If I did it again I'd ignore the instructions and cement each bogie as an assembly, paint, then add the tyres later which is just about possible before fixing them to the trailer.

Anyway, job done and at least all the visible ones touch the ground, even though some are very slightly wonky.

PXL_20230911_072912053.jpg

PXL_20230911_084222597.jpg

The front section of the trailer was next. Again well detailed.

PXL_20230911_085034793.jpg

There was scope for a bit of adjustment when fitting this part so I lined everything up on my flat surface so that all of the tyres, towing pin and fifth wheel were aligned.

From the box it only allows the trailer to sit dead straight behind the tow vehicle, but snipping an extra pin off underneath would allow some angle for a better pose on a diorama or base

PXL_20230911_090812324.jpg

And that's the construction phase complete, apart from a few knocky off bits that I'll add after paint.

PXL_20230911_100312699.jpg

PXL_20230911_100303434.jpg

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Nice!

Keeping it dead straight may not be exciting, but it does reduce the footprint on your shelf - or whatever base you might use!

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Very smart looking so far nice updates

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
And painted lol

I used a green and brown from the Mr Color NATO set, did a bit of post shading with lightened variants, then tidied up the edges & overspray with S M S Camo black. Not the perfect hard edge of the real thing but I'm more than happy for a freehand job at this scale.

2023-09-11 16.34.46.jpg

2023-09-11 16.34.23.jpg

Decals & detail painting next, without knocking the rear mudflaps off completely as they are hanging on by a thread.

Then maybe some weathering, the bit I always fear.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
That's come on a treat Andy. Getting that many wheels on and all touching the ground is an achievement in itself. I like the paint job. Looks pretty hard edged to me. I'd keep the weathering light - maybe just some dust and some streaking on the lower parts.

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
And painted lol

I used a green and brown from the Mr Color NATO set, did a bit of post shading with lightened variants, then tidied up the edges & overspray with S M S Camo black. Not the perfect hard edge of the real thing but I'm more than happy for a freehand job at this scale.

View attachment 490454

View attachment 490455

Decals & detail painting next, without knocking the rear mudflaps off completely as they are hanging on by a thread.

Then maybe some weathering, the bit I always fear.
Very nice work.
TBH Andy, I like the soft edge, helps blending in of the camo.