Andy T's Arma Hobby 1/48 Mk llc Trop

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Here's my entry for this GB. I've seen & heard great things about this kit and so far I'm blown away by it!

1000007281.jpg

There are only 3 main sprues, one clear, a punched masking set, and some nice looking decals

1000007283.jpg

The surface detail is amazing, far better than my camera skills :tears-of-joy: with both raised and recessed rivets of varying sizes, nice texture for the fabric sections, and all round very highly detailed:

1000007293.jpg

The build starts with the gear bay. I'll not be able to go very far just yet as they need painting Azure Blue, a colour I'm waiting for:
1000007292.jpg

I've started to put some of the cockpit parts together which again are beautifully detailed, but can't be fully assembled until the gear bay is painted & fitted underneath:

1000007294.jpg

I'm hoping to get a bit more done this weekend but since I'm waiting for paints and go on holiday Monday, it won't be one of my quicker builds :smiling3:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
These Arma Hobby kits look rather interesting...
I feel you with the missing paints. It's always fun when you are short one colour. Grr.

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Good to have you all along for the ride.

Since I'm stuck waiting for paint I've moved forward and have started building assemblies for later in the build, and I'm loving the attention to detail.

Here are most of the cockpit parts:

1000007294.jpg

And I'm not even sure what this item is that fits on the leading edge of the starboard wing, but they include two, almost identical parts, depending on the version built. I'd be surprised if anyone really noticed the difference once built, but they must think it's important:

1000007304.jpg

1000007302.jpg

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Is that perhaps a landing light Andy?
Good suggestion but the landing lights are outboard of the MG's actually. I've tried looking through blueprints, cutaways and technical drawings but still can't work out what it is just yet.

I'll just do as the instructions tell me in my usual blissful ignorance :smiling5:

Easyrider5258

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Nice work there, I m nearly at end of build of the Night-fighter version from same manufacturer, paints all done, just got to fit a few final delicate bits always left to last and it's done, and I will show it in completed models, impressive quality on these kits!

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Thanks guys.

Mark - I seem to have missed that until now. It looks menacing in the night colour scheme!

Is there anything I need to look out for in the build? To be fair everything has gone together really well so far so I can't imagine any problems.

SteveT

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
That looks like a really nice kit and you're doing a superb job! The detail/wash you've done on the undercarriage is superb, I need to know how to do that haha!

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
No problems, dry fit everything, found on gaps needing filling, very nice kit to build and would buy another for a different Hurricane version
Thanks Mark. I have a couple of tiny gaps on the leading edge of the wings but that's completely down to me getting a bit excited when removing the sprue gates :rolling:
:smiling5:

That looks like a really nice kit and you're doing a superb job! The detail/wash you've done on the undercarriage is superb, I need to know how to do that haha!

Talent in a tin Steve, aka enamel panel liner wash lol.

I used the AK version in black. Best applied on a glossy surface, either varnish or the glossy mrp paint I used, it's brushed carefully into recesses where capillary action let's it flow around the detail. After some time any excess can be cleaned off with a paper towel, cotton bud, or similar. Moisten with a tiny bit of enamel thinner/ white spirit to remove stubborn bits, or blend them around for a bit of "grunge"