Andy T's Italeri 1/24 "Australian Truck"

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Im currently working on a maclaren 720s in orange and a sparkly black. Hopefully I'll find a kit I can use the leftovers on as I love the colours
Sounds like a slammed VW bus to me

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Love those tinted windows, look really good . Nice build Andy .

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Thanks Mick & John. I got a bit more done this afternoon but I'll not spam any more pictures today :smiling5:

Should be a decent bit of progress over the next few days as I'm not working until Wednesday.

Nice idea Ian, I may just take you up on that.

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Had a go at the cables / airlines and I'm reasonably happy. At least it's covered the paint blob :smiling5:

Found some coloured wire from an old phone extension cable and wrapped it around a skewer to make it coil

PXL_20230903_095101434.jpg

With not many reference photos to go at I did a simulation of the susie bracket. I must have been watching too many videos by Steve Jones as I embellished it with a few rivets

PXL_20230903_113442454.jpg

I also made a place to dock the cables when they weren't in use.

After a coat of Alclad chrome they were fitted and the coils attached. The coils are a bit stiff really and don't sit too naturally but I was working with what I had.

PXL_20230903_135419717.jpg

PXL_20230903_135433132.jpg

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Thanks Jack .

Im going to have a go at rewinding them as they've sprung out quite a lot, would have preferred them tighter, but better than nothing :smiling3:

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Pity if they have opened up Andy they looked spot on in photos.
That body work paint finish , wow ! :thumb2::thumb2::thumb2::thumb2::thumb2:.

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
Great work on the Susie's Andy, I'm surprised how they are missing from 1/24 kits as they are quite an integral part of the truck.

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Thanks John & Mick.

Thankfully they aren't glued into place, just a push fit, so I can have a go at winding them around something tighter to allow for the spring back. I may even try the hot/cold water trick to allow the rather thick insulation to relax a bit.

Reactions: JR

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I found some Mr Muscle oven cleaner under the sink. After submitting the relevant permission forms I was allowed to borrow it, and it has kinda worked.

9 hours and many repeat applications and it's starting to strip the chrome. I'm beginning to wish I hadn't bothered and just smothered any ugly seam lines in mud afterwards! :smiling5:

View attachment 487619I've used thick bleach to strip chrome from Italeri kits. Worked a treat and only took minutes - you could see the chrome dissolving.

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Thanks Allen but I think you are mistaken. You may drive on the right side of the road, but we drive on the correct one :smiling5:

The blob

View attachment 489787

The interior painting didn't go so well as I'm still a bit rubbish at brushing larger areas, but with his chunky fluffy blanky the driver should have a comfy nights sleep.

View attachment 489788
Yes it's over scale, but once the sleeper is closed up and attached to the cab you'll struggle to even see it.
Don't worry about the blanket being overscale, I used to have a king size 13.5tog quilt folded in half on the bunk, three duck down pillows and then another 17tog quilt on top and I would not get out of bed untill the night heater had warmed the cab and the coffee had brewed....
Great build by the way.

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Thanks Mike, sounds like my kind of bedding!

I've not been looking forward to the fuel tanks so made them today's mission. I reckon they'd be fiddly enough OOB but with me wanting blue tanks with chrome straps & steps it made it that bit harder.

I'd pre-chromed the brackets & steps in case there were areas I couldn't reach later, so after scraping paint from all the mating surfaces I wrestled this lot into position. With a lack of really positive mounting point and several small pieces to line up in one go it was like wrestling an octopus but I got there eventually.

I then masked up the blue, which in itself was a bit of a task

2023-09-04 11.48.38.jpg

A coat of gloss black was followed after a time by Alclad chrome

2023-09-04 12.37.53.jpg

Then I carefully peeled off the tape

2023-09-04 13.42.23.jpg

The came fitting. Trying to line up 2 tanks and the flimsy toolbox step on each side was again a challenge but it's all close enough if you squint a bit.

The air filter stacks and screen visor were added as well whilst other stuff was drying.

2023-09-04 14.37.05.jpg

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Really good Andy.
You certainly have patience and a lot of skill.

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Thanks all.

Well, much like a sky diver may experience ground rush, all of a sudden this is almost complete :flushed:

I kept adding bits here & there and suddenly I ran out of parts! Almost lol

I found the rear light units still on a sprue I'd put for stripping & recycling, so they've had a drop of paint and I'll put the licence plate decals on tomorrow. I've decided against any weathering. In the future if I have the money & space to add trailers I'll do it then.

2023-09-04 19.20.52.jpg