SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Looks like a nice kit.

Andy the Sheep

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrea
Yes, gents, it looks good. Hope it will still look good after my "interference" ;)
The only "minus" up to now is the canopy, which offers only two options: closed or closed. Maybe some little surgery will be needed but...the idea makes my wrists shake. :rolling:

Andy the Sheep

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrea
First small steps and first blunder (Steve T, you're not alone ;))
Removing the rudder pedals from the sprue the piece broke in 3 (!!!) parts. Managed to glue them in place, the pedals look a little wonky... but nobody will see them once the fuselage is closed :rolling:.
The seat is dry fitted and unpainted. The IP decal is very thick and shiny (first impact with the famed Cartograf decals wasn't up to expectations). I had to use white glue to sit it firmly on the plastic.
Paints are Tamiya acrylics, brush painted considering the small surfaces. Hissing stick will take care of the seat and larger parts lately.

IMG_1609.JPG

Thank you for following.

Andrea

Andy the Sheep

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrea
The 1941 RAF regulation contemplates that the underside of fighter command operational aircrafts were to be painted, including a band on the fuselage just in front of the tail fin, in Duck Egg blue (sky type "S") but the port wing underside could also be painted in Special Night (matt black) leaving the final decision to the flying units Commanders. Where the port wing ended and the starboard one begun is not clearly stated. The aircraft underside longitudinal centerline would be the common sense solution but... Commanders are Commanders and they love to take useless decisions (ask me how I know ;) :tongue-out3: )
I'm prowling through the various available sources to find some more evidence but I guess this is another can of worms like several others in modellers' world.

Welcome Paul. First row still available. :thumb2:

Andy the Sheep

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrea
Today some dry fitting tests. Not bad along the centreline; the joint between wings and fuselage will need some attention, probably just some sanding before glueingIMG_1611.JPGIMG_1612.JPG.
Main step of the day: canopy masking and, by the way, the idea of cutting the canopy to display it in the open position was binned: the canopy doesn't fit the fuselage "hump" behind the cockpit.

Andy the Sheep

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrea
Yesterday some more progress.
Finished the "office" and closed the fuselage. There are no pics of the office cage because of a lucky strike (no tobacco involved ;)): while I was dry fitting the office, not fully cured yet, into the fuselage it happened that everything clicked into its proper place without too much trouble and the subsequent check with the engine cowling was very good too. Glue was soon at hand and the fuselage went together with no fuss.
Here are some pics taken while the glue was still setting. The office cage is taken from down under.
Fitting is generally good/very good. Only the bulkhead behind the pilot's seat had to be filed to half of its original thickness (traces still visible on the second pic) to allow the seat to seat properly
(and I guess that's why the call it a seat :rolling::rolling::thinking::tongue-out2: - no need to get my coat, it's warm enough today ;)).IMG_1613.JPGIMG_1616.JPGIMG_1618.JPGIMG_1620.JPG
Some touch ups still needed.
The seatbelts are the only "add-on" from the Tamiya Spit Mk1 PE set, duly photocopied, reinforced with masking tape on its back, hand painted with pastels and some very thinned Tamiya Sand Yellow, cut and finally superglued to the seat; not a masterpiece but considering that the canopy can only be in the closed position it will do.
Thank you for following my build.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Coming along well. I too like the idea with the harnesses! I will have to try that one.

Andy the Sheep

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrea
A bit more done: now it looks like a Hurricane, but I managed to create a non existent Mk.
In fact, I didn't remember that the kit provides two noses, one for the homeland Mk1 and one for the "trop" version so I managed to glue the "trop"nose on the fuselage and discovered it when, gluing the wings, a large gap appeared between the lower part of the engine cowl and the landing gear box. Changing nose was out of question as the whole cockpit would have been touched and probably beyond repair.
I managed to unglue (thanks to TET debonding qualities) the central-front lower wing part and replace it with the "trop"nose one. Now there's no gap between the engine cowl lower part and the wing but I have a Mk 1a (where a stands for Andy) :smiling4:. As already said, SteveT you are not alone:face-with-head-bandage:
Positive notes:
  • the Cartograf IP decal has fully settled and now looks the part;
  • the wing/fuselage junction required some filing and filling but it's definitely good. The small wingy things on the tail glued into place with no problems at all.

Some pics
IMG_1621.JPG
IMG_1626.JPGIMG_1633.JPG

Andrea (never learned to learn :rolling:).