Andy's Hobby 2000 1/48 Hurricane Mk 1

RonGlass

SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thank you Joe.
Hissing stick and hairy stick are expressions I learned here on the forum (don't remember the original author but Mr Dewire is at the top of the suspected list ;)) and I liked them :cool:
Well, y'all boys can keep your hairy sticks to yourselves. That goes double for Mr. DeWire !

RonGlass

SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
A bit more done: now it looks like a Hurricane, but I managed to create a non existent Mk.
In fact, I didn't remember that the kit provides two noses, one for the homeland Mk1 and one for the "trop" version so I managed to glue the "trop"nose on the fuselage and discovered it when, gluing the wings, a large gap appeared between the lower part of the engine cowl and the landing gear box. Changing nose was out of question as the whole cockpit would have been touched and probably beyond repair.
I managed to unglue (thanks to TET debonding qualities) the central-front lower wing part and replace it with the "trop"nose one. Now there's no gap between the engine cowl lower part and the wing but I have a Mk 1a (where a stands for Andy) :smiling4:. As already said, SteveT you are not alone:face-with-head-bandage:
Positive notes:
  • the Cartograf IP decal has fully settled and now looks the part;
  • the wing/fuselage junction required some filing and filling but it's definitely good. The small wingy things on the tail glued into place with no. Thproblems at all.

Some pics
View attachment 506340
View attachment 506341View attachment 506342

Andrea (never learned to learn :rolling:).
Andy I haven't built an airplane model since I was a kid, always liked them just fine as long as somebody else built them. But this one.... I think you might just have nudged me to try my hand at one soon ! I love it !

Andy the Sheep

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrea
Andy I haven't built an airplane model since I was a kid, always liked them just fine as long as somebody else built them. But this one.... I think you might just have nudged me to try my hand at one soon ! I love it !
Nudging someone into aircraft modelling was far far beyond my expectations, but glad I did it.:smiling:

Disclaimer will follow after hearing my solicitors :tongue-out3:

Andy the Sheep

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrea
Small progresses today: landing gear components built and painted, radiator and gunports added, canopy external frame painted in cockpit green (the internal part is smooth so painting the inner frame with just the outer one as a reference was out of question) and then glued in place, navigation light drilled and painted :cold-sweat:(no pics, sorry) , some sanding.
Paint time is nigh!
Comparing this Hobby 2000 kit with the Revell's (Ian's) and Arma Hobby's (Andy T), mine looks less detailed but it's a good kit anyway.
Pics

IMG_1636.JPGIMG_1637.JPGIMG_1638.JPG
Thank you for following this build

Andrea

Andy the Sheep

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrea
Back to the bench. Primed!
IMG_1641.JPGIMG_1645.JPG
The little scratches on the fuselage and wings are rescribed details as I had to sand some little defects the primer brought into evidence.
While it fully cures I have to decide how to proceed with the camo painting: masking... :thinking: free hand...:cold-sweat: .

In the meantime I found a pic of a 1941 Hurricane with a very similar underside scheme, just with inverted colours
Hurricane_Mk_I_of_No_213_Squadron_RAF_over_Cyprus_1941.jpg
so I think I will follow the kit proposed scheme.

Andy the Sheep

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrea
Some more paint job done.
Paint in use are from the AK Real set for early RAF in Europe plus NATO Black, always from AK Real for the black lower wing.
Tried some pre shading but I have to improve my skills (less lines, more blotches). The final result on the lower wings is not bad, just some minor retouch needed.
Sky tail band painted and masked trying to respect the prescribed width (no decal provided by Hobby 2000).

IMG_1647.JPGIMG_1650.JPG

Next step: masking the underside and dark earth/dark green camo scheme on the fuselage and upper wings.
I printed a 1/48 scale copy of the kit's painting instructions to be used as masks along with bluetac.
Thank you for following my efforts. Comments and abuses are welcome.

Andrea

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Looking very nice there Andy:cool:, I'm doing a similar scheme on my MK1,but the black is on the opposite side,it gives a nice contrast to the normal single colour all over I think,
Good stuff mate.:thumb2:

Andy the Sheep

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrea
Looking very nice there Andy:cool:, I'm doing a similar scheme on my MK1,but the black is on the opposite side,it gives a nice contrast to the normal single colour all over I think,
Good stuff mate.:thumb2:
Thank you Andy, very kind of you.
Yes, the black wing gives a touch of originality to the model. Moreover, there the roundel has the yellow outer ring while the sky wing has the blue, white and red one.

Andy the Sheep

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrea
Latest update: dark earth is on. The masking for the dark green has begun but not complete.
Probably next time I'll buy an aftermarket set of masks as the blue tack + masking tape system is really time consuming with models over 1/72.
Wondering about painting the upper wings roundels instead of using decals... :thinking:

20240427_163749.JPG
20240427_163800.JPG
Ta-ta for now.