Another Airfix 1/72nd Lancaster completed. Double post !!

I

ian lanc

Extremely sorry if i bore anyone with my Lancaster builds :rolleyes: One day when i get to make a model of my own it might just be a different type of aircraft .

The model is AA-G. HK594.

The only added extra's to this kit are the bulged bomb bay doors and a little patience.

Thanks for looking guys.

ian.

F

Fenlander

How could anyone get bored of looking at a model of such an iconic aircraft so well done as this? I certainly couldn't. That looks amazing Ian, lovely finish on it, stunning build.

S

sailor6782

Wonderful finish. OK, we all built one in the 60's (oops, sorry folks, I am in my sixties), and it was the big kit of it's day, though I never thought I would see one this well finished. My Late Uncle flew one of these beastie's and I grew up to think how massive they must have been. Fast foward to the War Museum to the Cockpit section and I could not have been more struck by how small the thing was, really, it's a cupboard !

Bob.

J

Jake Drummond

Great model of the Lancaster Ian, very well finished.

I wonder if you could tell me why you picked HK594 as your subject; are you connected to any of the crew?

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Beautiful finish Ian 5*.

Vaughan

T

tecdes

Now I have you cornered Ian.

First my model of this looks about third class & you have used a hand brush. Real artistic model. Interesting as no weathering for you & yet it could not in my eyes look better.

Asked about these questions on the Lanc Forum but did not get an answer which satisfied me. Can you help Ian.

I noticed that the Lanc. had the main radio/radar aerial wires from the cockpit to the tail plane. Also from about the area of the top gun turret also to the tail plane. Finally a vertical from the bottom of the cockpit cover to about two thirds down the fuselage. Do you know if this was standard on most Lancs or just on some.

Reading at the moment Prof. Jones account of the Bomber scientific part & he recommended removing part of the radar system as it was used by the LuftW. to home in on the bombers. Which Bomber Command did remove after about 9 months of badgering & made a dramatic difference to losses. This must have a bearing on the rigging for the Lanc at various stages.

Apologies for the long drag here but it is interesting especially as I have seen many Lanc models without any rigging.

Laurie

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Laurie I'm not a Lancaster expert (by a long way!) but I have picked a few bits 'n' bobs up regarding the aerials.

The two long wires from the fuselage (former 27) to the tailfins are for the IFF system,the ARI5000.

The MF/HF wireless used a trailing aerial that could be wound in and out by the wireless operator,or,alternatively,could be attached to the long starboard aerial wire. The VHF wireless wouldn't need an antenna like this but I don't know what it used.

Monica used the arrowhead aerials beneath the turret for transmission and the receiving aerials were on the tail fins,both sides.

Gee used a whip aerial (type 87 or 257) which was positioned vertically behind the cockpit.

I know the wireless changed and at least some antenna moved as time went by but I don't know enough about it to be more specific. These aircraft were pretty crammed with electronics by the standards of the day.

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable can cast further light!

Cheers

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
T

tecdes

Thanks Steve very helpful & fills in a few holes.

Just read yesterday evening by chance in Prof Jones story that Monica, a supposed help for the bombers warning of Luftw.nightfighters, actually was more help to the nightfighters as it could home in from a distance of 50 miles.

Apologies Ian for straying into your domain.

Laurie

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
Just read yesterday evening by chance in Prof Jones story that Monica, a supposed help for the bombers warning of Luftw.nightfighters, actually was more help to the nightfighters as it could home in from a distance of 50 miles.

Laurie
But luckily only for a few months! On 13/7/44 the Luftwaffe inadvertantly delivered a Ju88G-1 nightfighter to RAF Woodbridge. It was equipped with the FuG 227'Flensburg' device which could home in on the emmissions from 'Monica'. It didn't take long for the RAF to figure this out and remove 'Monica' from the bombers.

It also gave us a look at the new FuG 220 'Lichtenstein' radar with which it was also equipped.

Cheers

Steve