Another returning modeller.

PsiFox

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Hi all and thanks for having me.
I’m 63 and returning to modelling after many years away. As soon as I could drive I was off at race circuits around the country , whenever I wasn’t working or chasing women. M a petrol head and always will be.
I was intending to return to modelling last year after having covid quite badly and damaging my lungs and heart, but I got shingles in my right eye ( and oh boy does it hurt) so spent From February to June sitting in the dark with not very good vision.

just as that receded I went for day surgery on my knee in July, I came home but 48 hours later I was blue lighted to A&E scheduled for emergency surgery followed by another op a week later. I spent 4 weeks in hospital with multiple Iv daily which tturned my arms brown as my veins all went blah, so had a line implanted to just above my heart and had Iv through that for another 3 weeks after I went home.
As it turns out they gave me a life threatening MRSA infection and sepsis which became septic arthritis and ate my knee joint.

So I returned home unable to walk with out crutches and climb the stairs. I slept one night in my sifesmrisermreclinermand the district nurse said I needed a bed in the living room.
that’s where I’ve lived since August last year angle,to get upstairs, I’m waiting for them to decide if they will operate to give me a new knee as the infection lives inside me and surgery has a 40% chance of going badly wrong, which could be he loss of the leg or my life. Just for fun it can also come back as other things like brain tumours, it can eat my heart valves as well.

Because of the pain I live on morphine and other pain meds, which doesn’t help concentration.

what's this got to do with modelling, well all the tools I’d bought to model were upstairs and I cant get fo them, not that I could have done much.

at the beginning of December the wife said you need something to do as you don’t go out except forthe hospital, would you like the dining room table to build and the table in the utility room to Spray. Big yes from me.

so that where I am, the pain limits me to a couple of hours a day so I’ve only completed one model in the first fourmonths and I’m on my second now.

As a result of not working since March 2020 I’m on disability allowance, so my purchases have to be planned carefully. I’m fortunate to have a watch collection so selling a watch lets me make purchases. I have a huge stash of 9 models, but plan to add a few more over the summer.

My interests are military aircraft from 1939 onwards and F1 kits in 1/12:scale, which I built as a teenager. I have the Lotus 78 laid away until I can pay for itand I’m after the meng 1/12 McLaren when it arrives. I hope Tamiya re release the Williams FW14B as no way I can pay the prices,people are asking for the kits.
My current build is the 1/32:GWH Curtiss Hawk 81-A2, nice kit if I do say so.

I look forward to paying for the year hopefully next month when I have,a spare £10 available. Yes life is that tight, but the mortgage is paid off, phew.

so my late life,story, I look forward to relearning lots and getting advice from you all.

Thanks for reading

Mark

JayCee

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Welcome Mark, I sincerely hope life takes a turn for the better for you.
John.

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Blimey... That was some introduction mate!! :smiling3:
.... I'll just say,"it's a warm welcome" from me too Mark,
I look forward to seeing you around the parish,
Andy

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
You've certainly had a rough time recently Mark. I hope things improve. Welcome to a great forum.

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Welcome to the forum Mark. I hope the hobby helps to keep your mind off the health problems. Your wife is a saint!
Pete

PsiFox

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Thanks guys, sorry I didn’t realise I waffled on so long, I’d had some more morphine and sometimes it looks,clear,and simple only to read it later and realise my spelling was awful and I wasn’t short and concise

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Welcome Mark.
Jeez, but you've been through it. I hope things get better for you.

This place and the members are a great tonic and I hope you join in and have fun ( with of course, reasonably serious intent once you open the kit box)

Ron

PsiFox

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Welcome mate - pity you've just missed the Emergency Services Group Build - you'd have had some deep insights I reckon!
Steve
More than you might imagine. During the 89’s & 90’s I was a RACMSA lice fed race rescue operator at the BARC (British Automobile racing club) as such we were both medically trained to work with a trauma medicine doctor to assist in treating usually a race driver but sometimes spectators. We’re we’re also cross trained by Fire Brigade crews in how to cut a car and extract a driver without worsening his condition.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Welcome Mark .
Hope you enjoy your time with us .
All quite mad , but friendly.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Welcome Mark, hop in and have fun....we don't bite and the advise is free for the asking. Be warned though, should you require further medical attention, there is a certain person on staff here that will be around from time to time to check up on you and she don't always take your temperature the way you'd like! :tongue-out3: ;) :thumb2:

PsiFox

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Welcome Mark, hop in and have fun....we don't bite and the advise is free for the asking. Be warned though, should you require further medical attention, there is a certain person on staff here that will be around from time to time to check up on you and she don't always take your temperature the way you'd like! :tongue-out3: ;) :thumb2:
Ah yes I remember the old carry on films as well:face-with-head-bandage:;)

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Thanks guys, sorry I didn’t realise I waffled on so long, I’d had some more morphine and sometimes it looks,clear,and simple only to read it later and realise my spelling was awful and I wasn’t short and concise
I never have that excuse, I just waffle too much in general. Don’t sweat it…..we won’t :thumb2:
Welcome aboard, by the way..….