Another Spitfire...Hobbyboss Mk.VB (Trop)

K

Kressy_13

Good idea steve. Another way would be to fit it to a motor tool and spin it lightly on some sandpaper. Works quite well.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
Good idea steve. Another way would be to fit it to a motor tool and spin it lightly on some sandpaper. Works quite well.
I have a Dremel somewhere but hardly ever use it, I don't feel in control :smiling3:

You'd have to go easy spinning the tyres as the 'rubber' overheats very quickly and you could make a right mess!

Cheers

Steve

First Name
Mike
Exhausts look superb Steve, thanks for the explanation. I hate those rubber tyres too. Does anyone do replacement resin wheels for the kit?

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
Exhausts look superb Steve, thanks for the explanation. I hate those rubber tyres too. Does anyone do replacement resin wheels for the kit?
I'm sure that the relevant Spitfire wheels will have been cast by someone. I'm virtually certain that 'Barracuda' do both the 4 and 5 spoke version in 1/32, particularly as the same gimmick appears in the Tamiya kits and the PCM and Hasegawa kit wheels are not terribly good either.

I built a PCM Mk XIV a while ago. I don't know whether it's very obvious but the wheels are too big!

Cheers

Steve

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
The wheels on that XIV don't look too big from that photo. As for the rubber tyres, this is interesting because I've never built a kit large enough to experience them. I'd have thought they would have moulded them a little better than that, perhaps even provided some tread. Or is tread a modern thing to have on the tyres of an aeroplane such as the Spitfire?

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I've always been told that smooth tyres were used on unmade or grass airstrips as they were less likely to pick up debris and chuck it into delicate parts like radiators and flaps.

I think this goes back to Peter Cooke's research in the 1970s. He also established that the smooth tyre scrubbed very quickly when it was used on paved strips and this might explain why some late war pictures do show treaded tyres. You'll struggle to find a Merlin powered Spitfire sporting treaded tyres in Europe before 1945, though there may well have been some. Did some Aussie Spitfires have treaded tyres? For some reason I think they might have.

On a slight tangent I also noted a comment by Edgar Brooks a while ago that Typhoons struggled on PSP with their smooth tyres, maybe Spitfires also had trouble on the stuff.

Cheers

Steve

K

Kressy_13

\ said:
I have a Dremel somewhere but hardly ever use it, I don't feel in control :smiling3: You'd have to go easy spinning the tyres as the 'rubber' overheats very quickly and you could make a right mess!

Cheers

Steve
It does make a bit of mess but it works quite quickly. Everyone has a different method that works. You may be right about the aussie spit. I have a book about them somewhere but lack the energy to find it at the moment. Hahaha.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I might give it a go when I've got a spare pair Kresten :smiling3:

I'll try to check on those Aussie Spitfires (why on earth were they coded as 'Capstan' when everyone, including the Japanese, knew what they were?).

Meanwhile I've got the camouflage on Gleed's mount. It was a much photographed aeroplane so the evidence for the extremely unusual and non-standard camouflage scheme is easy to find. I've no idea where the camouflage was applied, but it wasn't at a factory in the UK.

Because the scheme is so well known I make a copy of the decal sheet on plain paper which enables me to cut out various markings and position them on the model. This ensures that during masking you can make the correct relationships between the camouflage demarcations and the markings.

Here's the result with the first coat of Klear/Future applied. A model never looks its beat at this point!

Cheers

Steve

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
Cool. Was it azure blue underneath?
I hope so :smiling3:

I went for the standard Azure Blue rather than some exotic version or Mediterranean Blue, not least because I suspect the aircraft was painted (or re-painted) at one of the MUs in North Africa. It has the Aboukir rather than Vokes filter fitted. Someone a lot more knowledgeable about the RAF than me might know for sure, but those under surface colours can be a bit of a can 'o' worms. That's without even mentioning Malta :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
The paint looks great Steve. Not sure about the decals though, lol :rolleyes:

Spits do look rather nice in desert camouflage. Might well be my next choice.

Ian M

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
I thought tread patterned tyres may be a modern or Post-War thing. Most American aeroplanes had tread, possibly because in the Pacific most aircraft operated from PSP or coral airstrips, or were carrier-based originally. So far as I can find, RAAF Mark V and VIII Spitfires wore treaded tyres.

The paint job looks sharp Steve, looking forward to more.

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
\ said:
I've done a VERY approximate measurement, simply by offering the Hobbyboss fuselage up to the completed Tamiya Mk IX. The Hobbyboss is shorter. It matches quite well from fin to cockpit and then the cockpit openings are very similar. The Hobbyboss is several millimetres shorter in the nose.Cheers

Steve
Hi Steve

Isn't the MkV shorter in the nose than the MkXI anyway? I thought they lengthened the nose in the MkIX to accommodate the new Merlin 61 engine? If this is correct (I think it is) that would make the Hobby Boss measurements even more acceptable???

Just a thought, although I may be wrong.

Very nice progress as always Steve, the new windscreen sits very nicely and the canopy matches well judging from the pic. Another winner me thinks

Cheers

Paul

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
Hi SteveIsn't the MkV shorter in the nose than the MkXI anyway? I thought they lengthened the nose in the MkIX to accommodate the new Merlin 61 engine? Cheers

Paul
Yes and yes. I can't remember the difference off the top of my head, but it very probably makes the Hobbyboss dimensions close to what they should be. It certainly doesn't look wrong to my eye. I've got an old Hasegawa Mk V somewhere which I might also compare.

Cheers

Steve

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I've been applying the decals. The under wing roundels are always tricky on Spitfires as they lie over various bumps and bulges, one of which is a bit over sized on this model.

The decals are good and I've managed to make them conform, though a little touch up will be needed once they have thoroughly dried out.

The rest have gone on very nicely with no problems at all.

Cheers

Steve

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Quick update.

I've got the decals on and have sealed them in with a coat of Klear. I have applied a selection of stencils but not all. As far as I can tell this aeroplane may only have had the walkway lines re-applied after it received this camouflage but I did add a few others.

I tinted the Klear on the upper surface with a sandy colour.

I've also patched up the broken decal and sealed in the under side.

You can 'see the join' in that close up shot but when looking at the model normally, i.e. not with a magnifying glass, it looks fine.

Weathering and matt tomorrow I hope. If I don't finish this early next week it will be a long time before I get the time to do it !

Cheers

Steve

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Looks very nice!

So you off gallivanting again..?

Ian M

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
This is just about done now.

I'll post some piccies in a completed thread later.

Cheers

Steve

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
:cool:. Steve As always up to your excellent standard.