Another Sweet 1/144, Clearly it's a Hawker Hurricane

M

m1ks

Just had to throw this together.

I was quite surprised upon opening the box to find one model moulded in brown styrene, (Including canopy?) and one moulded entirely in clear styrene, (two canopies on each sprue so you can have a solid brown painted one or clear on both models), having been thinking about it I thought it was just such a shame to cover it with paint and so I assembled it as was, clipping the sprue and using a polishing stick to eradicate the rough cut marks where possible and glued it with dots of superglue in strategic locations to minimise the clouding / blloming / fogging of the shiny clear plastic, it was then decalled as normal and I quite like it.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I like that too,it's certainly different.

Cheers

Steve

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Brilliant mike. i love it! Those japs are crazy but in a good way , Even though its clear you can see the excellent quality and detail. Thought you might have scratchbuilt a full interior and engine though ,seen as its all visible!!!?LOL Cheers tony

B

Bunkerbarge

I can't believe the wings are split in 1/144th scale! You get as many parts as you do in a lot of 1/72nd kits.

Brilliant little model, again, way beyond my eyes!

M

m1ks

Well, wouldn't you know I did in fact spend about two months scratching a Merlin engine and ancillaries, (fully working with moving pistons when you turned the propeller), a complete cockpit, full complement of Browning machine guns and belts and all control cables. Then darn it all, I glued the fuselage together before realising i'd forgotten to install it all so it went in the bin, such a waste eh.

:lol

Would love to build one in a larger scale with a decent engine and cockpit though now i've done this one. You can get the odd Tamiya car and bike with clear parts so you can detail or part detail, does anyone know if any manufactuer does a 48th or 32nd scale with clear fusealge and detail bits?

M

m1ks

\ said:
I can't believe the wings are split in 1/144th scale! You get as many parts as you do in a lot of 1/72nd kits.Brilliant little model, again, way beyond my eyes!
That surprised me too, the Bf109 was a one piece wing and I think the Zero's I have waiting are also.

ON the above post subject, wouldn't an interior sticker / decal of the engine and cockpit for one side have made a great addition. Oh well, I guess we're lucky to have kits of this exceptional detail in 144th anyway.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Hi mike, i think revell did a 'visible' p51 mustang with a clear body in 1/32 scale and i might be wrong but i seem to remember a b17 in 1/48 with the same clear body , and not forgetting the old AMT visible man and visible woman!! clear figures with all the guts and innards inside that came to pieces - lovely! cheers tony

M

m1ks

Think i'd pass on the man and woman with innards, maybe when I was a teenager, (i loved the horror film arena, wanted to do special effects for years).

WOuld quite like to do the mustang though. Don't suppose you know anything else about it?

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
I think it was a monogram originally then reissued by revell after they took them over. It had a motor too so the prop would spin, i saw one on e-bay a few weeks ago but the only ones on there now are from america at silly prices, keep looking mike ones bound to come up soon. P.s. AMT also did a visible horse!!! cheers tony

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Check this one out mike 1/48 Scale REVELL B-17G VISIBLE Flying Fortress on eBay (end time 03-Feb-11 20:02:20 GMT)

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
My current Trumpeter Me 262 includes clear nacelles if you want to build and display the nice Jumo engines. I'm sure they do a version with a clear fuselage as well.

Cheers

Steve