PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
There was some great bands back then
Cramps and Elvis Costello and b52s and Dr feelgood and dead kennedys

I was more clash than sex pistols

These days my tastes are so varied......Julie fowliss to tool.......go getters to ningen isu

Peej

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I've a varied taste in music. Seen quite a few bands. I think the most memorable 2 are Scorpions and Hawkwind, both of which I have seen twice.

Jon Heptonstall

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jon
Hawkwind at Wolverhampton Civic Hall 1980.Ginger Baker on drums and Dave Brock the same as always.One of the best gigs I went to.
Rush,Motorhead,UFO,Kiss etc.etc.Loudest band was Slade at the dog track in Wolvo with Eric Bell supporting .Pink Floyd at Maine Road.Rory Gallagher one of the best live acts and......Kid Creole and the Coconuts at the Apollo.
Otherwise the Sunsplash in Montego Bay 1986 was a great intro to reggae and dub.
Jon.

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Way back in my youf The Royal Opera House used to perform a Promenade style series of Der Ring des Nibelungen by the original heavy metal musician Wagner. Now that was a series of shows if a little hard on the bum sitting on the floor and all that. I also went to every Jethro Tull tour from 1969 through 2001. They always used to include Montreal on their tour programme. Now I'm with Tim mainly listening to Folk Celtic and Classical. Tim you might like to look up VISHTEN from Cape Breton when you're next on Spotify.

John

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Wow , never would have imagined there were so many punk and metal heads on here , thought I would have been in a minority! Personally my tastes are very varied but predominantly rock/ metal/ punk . Suppose people of my age were lucky enough to have been in their teens when punk first kicked off , it was a very exciting time . Saw The Cure , The Damned , The Ruts all at Sheffield Top Rank when I wasnt actually old enough to get in (almost 16 ) ,saw The Exploited at Sheffield Uni ( never seen so much spit flying ! I stayed dry at the back ,Wattie the singer was absolutely dripping !)

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hawkwind at Wolverhampton Civic Hall 1980.Ginger Baker on drums and Dave Brock the same as always.One of the best gigs I went to.
Rush,Motorhead,UFO,Kiss etc.etc.Loudest band was Slade at the dog track in Wolvo with Eric Bell supporting .Pink Floyd at Maine Road.Rory Gallagher one of the best live acts and......Kid Creole and the Coconuts at the Apollo.
Otherwise the Sunsplash in Montego Bay 1986 was a great intro to reggae and dub.
Jon.
I saw Hawkwind twice on that tour, once at Southampton Gaumont and once at Poole art centre. Ginger was at the first one, and has left by the second. At that time people stayed in Macdonald’s longer than they stayed in Hawkwind…….best time I saw them was with Nick Turner on the tour after that. Always loved the way their amps and speakers were painted up.
Loudest band I ever saw was actually Budgie. They were always the support act around our way…..
Rory was superb when I saw him, and always wore his millets shirts, Tanks…..Tanks a million ;)
Best gig ever was The Kinks headlining Reading festival. They were just sublime. Four unscripted encores! All the earlier acts were standing in the clear zone before the stage to watch them. Even the mayor of Reading was there. We knew it was the mayor, he was in full regalia, red coat, three cornered hat, and chain of office……really incongruous.
Saw quite a lot of reggae and underground back in the day as well. Steel pulse, UB40 before they became a pop band, Eek a mouse, Thomson twins (again before they became a pop band), Aswad, Gong, Steve Hillage, Here and now……the list is pretty endless. Punk, reggae and underground always went together well.

Last edited:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Way back in my youf The Royal Opera House used to perform a Promenade style series of Der Ring des Nibelungen by the original heavy metal musician Wagner. Now that was a series of shows if a little hard on the bum sitting on the floor and all that. I also went to every Jethro Tull tour from 1969 through 2001. They always used to include Montreal on their tour programme. Now I'm with Tim mainly listening to Folk Celtic and Classical. Tim you might like to look up VISHTEN from Cape Breton when you're next on Spotify.

John
Don’t do Spotify John, I’m happier with physical records, but I’ll try to look out for them. If you haven’t already, try Carolina chocolate drops or Rhian Giddens.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Wow , never would have imagined there were so many punk and metal heads on here , thought I would have been in a minority! Personally my tastes are very varied but predominantly rock/ metal/ punk . Suppose people of my age were lucky enough to have been in their teens when punk first kicked off , it was a very exciting time . Saw The Cure , The Damned , The Ruts all at Sheffield Top Rank when I wasnt actually old enough to get in (almost 16 ) ,saw The Exploited at Sheffield Uni ( never seen so much spit flying ! I stayed dry at the back ,Wattie the singer was absolutely dripping !)
Forgotten the spit…at the Poole art centre Banshees gig the guitarist walked off because of it and wouldn’t play any more…I also heard Cornwall do the iconic “News of the world” gag at Southampton Gaumont…..it’s on Live-X cert if you don’t know what I mean….

Gavalaar1980

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
The bands you mentioned are all pure punk, especially the Exploited who are actually more hardcore. Iggy Pop I've seen who was surprisingly good! Green Day, although not really punk as such, were fantastic live. I would have loved to have seen the Ramones.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
The bands you mentioned are all pure punk, especially the Exploited who are actually more hardcore. Iggy Pop I've seen who was surprisingly good! Green Day, although not really punk as such, were fantastic live. I would have loved to have seen the Ramones.
The Ramones are my great regret as well, but in my case it is because I could have gone and didn’t! Needed the money for bike parts :sleeping2:

Gavalaar1980

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
The Ramones are my great regret as well, but in my case it is because I could have gone and didn’t! Needed the money for bike parts :sleeping2:
Oh no, that must haunt you?! They are before my time but if there's one band from history I would like to have seen it would have been the Ramones, I love the simple energy of their music. Sadly impossible now because they have all passed away?

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Yes it does. I get out “It’s alive” and play it loud when I get really bad pangs though……never fails to make me smile……
ONE TWO THREE FOUR…….Gabba Gabba hey…..one of us!

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
If you haven’t already, try Carolina chocolate drops or Rhian Giddens.

i love the stuff she does as part of the Drops yet her solo stuff dosnt do it cos its such a different style,.....beautiful voice,....cant help but tap your foot lol

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hmmmm doesn't Lars get an unjustified amount of criticism , I don't get it? I

i just think hes a very mediocre very average drummer........can think of loads that are way better

Bonham was simply the master..............even today 40 odd years after he died he still gets voted the most influential by other rock drummers!!

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Gigged the Clash version of that song for many years……never seen them live though. A good mate of mine has, he’s a huge Clash fan, and he said they were absolutely awful ;)
JJB, always worth watching at a stranglers gig…..
Never really got into the other two, though celebrate Costello’s production on the early Pogues albums.

Genius for you