Any metal and punk fans out there?

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
i just think hes a very mediocre very average drummer........can think of loads that are way better

Bonham was simply the master..............even today 40 odd years after he died he still gets voted the most influential by other rock drummers!!

Interesting…..we always knew him as biscuit tin Bonham…..might be heresy, but he always forgot he was there to serve the song.

zuludog

SMF Supporter
I don't really like punk or metal, I prefer slightly earlier stuff - The Beatles, Jimi Hendrix, The Rolling Stones of course and others like Cream, Captain Beefheart, & Traffic; Prog Rock such as Pink Floyd, & Gentle Giant, and especially The Canterbury Scene, such as Soft Machine, Caravan, & Hatfield and The North

As you might expect, you can find all these and more on YouTube

Last edited:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Saw them live many moons ago, more old wrinklies there than youngsters....
Saw them in 1981 with Johnson, Bonn Scott had sadly died the previous year. They were an actually not very good…..far preferred the Bon Scott era, less pretentious! Doesn’t help that I don’t like Back in black much….it badly missed the humour of Scott and took itself too seriously.

JayCee

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I, personally am with Zuludog. Definitely 60's. Particularly, Zombies, Pretty Things, Stones, Etc. The only thing I have ever had to do with heavy metal is getting my foot under 1/2 a ton of fast moving RSJ's. Didn't half come keen. :angry:.
John.

Gavalaar1980

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
i just think hes a very mediocre very average drummer........can think of loads that are way better

Bonham was simply the master..............even today 40 odd years after he died he still gets voted the most influential by other rock drummers!!

I wouldn't say Lars is average, probably not the best metal drummer admittedly but Metallica are absolutely masterful musicians...

Best drummers I've ever seen are Dave Lombardo from Slayer and Joey from Slipknot, to play that fast you would need to be an athlete...yes Bonham is highly influential of course. Keith Moon anyone?

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
I wouldn't say Lars is average, probably not the best metal drummer admittedly but Metallica are absolutely masterful musicians...

Best drummers I've ever seen are Dave Lombardo from Slayer and Joey from Slipknot, to play that fast you would need to be an athlete...yes Bonham is highly influential of course. Keith Moon anyone?
If we're talking drummers,"Clive Burr" from the Original "Iron Maiden" was rather special ;)

zuludog

SMF Supporter
Best drummers? ......Besides Ginger Baker?

Ah well, now we're getting into the inevitable and never ending discussion and argument of - 'my favourite guitarist / drummer / keyboard player is more obscure than yours

Nevertheless, the best drummer I have seen live is Jon Hiseman

Andy the Sheep

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrea
"Now I want to sniff some glue" sounds like a sort of anthem for the modellers' world...:rolling::tongue-out3:.

I still think that the Bauhaus version of "Ziggy Stardust" is something really great.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
This thread has made me sit down & look at YouTube music videos. Normally I'm busy doing other things & have Spotify to provide my soundtrack. The links in the thread have kickstarted me jumping around YT watching things that I haven't seen for years & reminding me of how bad some of the vids were, and how good others were. It has made me watch some of my favourite tracks, rather than just listen.
Trying to find live performances - just watched Alanis Morissette 'Uninvited' at Brixton 2008 - stunning performance! also Peter Gabriel & Paula Cole 'Don't give up' from the Secret World Tour. I'm actually quite glad that there never was a live video of Eva Cassidy 'Fields of Gold', that has too many memories for it to be comfortable for me to watch. I won't put up links, they're easy enough to find on YT - I can see me sitting here for a while............
Dave

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
"Now I want to sniff some glue" sounds like a sort of anthem for the modellers' world...:rolling::tongue-out3:.

I still think that the Bauhaus version of "Ziggy Stardust" is something really great.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

i nearly posted Bela lugosi's dead' earlier!

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Alanis Morissette 'Uninvited' at Brixton 2008 - stunning performance!
The one she did at the Grammies (i think) is her best to date imho. Also have a listen to Red Sun Rising cover of 'Uninvited'.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
The 'Tiny Desk Concerts' can be very good, I've just watched Taylor Swift, Miley Cyrus & the Cranberries - they are true live performances - very close up & personal - mistakes and all.
The BBC Live Lounge series can also be very good - a bit slicker perhaps...............
Dave

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
One or two for the cognescenti

Pure powerhouse, which now seems forgotten. I first saw them about six months after this and was completely blown away. Been in love with them ever since….

As to Bill, totally overlooked but one of the great guitarists to me.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
I suppose AC/DC are the only 'Metal' I like.

However, as this thread has swollen a tad, I thought this might be of interest to some folks on here.....

I first saw The Rolling Stones when they played live in Chester in the early/mid '60's when Brian Jones was still alive. It cost me 7 shillings and 6 pence to get in. In modern day interviews about their most memorable gigs, they fondly remember Chester and recall how they had to 'Escape' the fans by walking along the roof of the cinema venue and using the rear fire escape!

I've seen The Beatles live in Chester three times. The Kinks and most of the household names of the '60's and '70's live at some time or another.

I saw Chas and Dave play an extra hour, because Eric Clapton was too pi***d to get on stage on time (he eventually did play - Just about!) The audience stood on mats on Shotton Ice Rink. in North Wales. It was still bl***y cold!

My main claim to fame was slobbering over Debbie Harry wearing just a black bin bag when Blondie played at the same venue, but a month later where Clapton 'Played'

Sorry for the tangent, Gav.

Last edited: