Any metal and punk fans out there?

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Debbie Harry…..each to their own I suppose ;). Mind you, I was in love with Kate Bush at the time so she was never going to make an impression on me :tongue-out3:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Oh, and Chas and Dave were a fine live act and excellent songwriters….criminally underrated in my opinion…..

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
I had a drink with a friend in SW London, and she jumped up and shouted "Hello Kate" to someone behind me. I turned around and realised it was Kate Bush - she'd gone to school with my friend. Fascinated me, she seemed to be dancing even when sitting still!
Pete

Gavalaar1980

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
I suppose AC/DC are the only 'Metal' I like.

However, as this thread has swollen a tad, I thought this might be of interest to some folks on here.....

I first saw The Rolling Stones when they played live in Chester in the early/mid '60's when Brian Jones was still alive. It cost me 7 shillings and 6 pence to get in. In modern day interviews about their most memorable gigs, they fondly remember Chester and recall how they had to 'Escape' the fans by walking along the roof of the cinema venue and using the rear fire escape!

I've seen The Beatles live in Chester three times. The Kinks and most of the household names of the '60's and '70's live at some time or another.

I saw Chas and Dave play an extra hour, because Eric Clapton was too pi***d to get on stage on time (he eventually did play - Just about!) The audience stood on mats on Shotton Ice Rink. in North Wales. It was still bl***y cold!

My main claim to fame was slobbering over Debbie Harry wearing just a black bin bag when Blondie played at the same venue, but a month later where Clapton 'Played'

Sorry for the tangent, Gav.
Some big names in there that you've seen, impressive although not my type of music. I think live music is the best thing ever and these anecdotes are very interesting to read! Judging by the responses on here most of you are a generation older than me I'd say so naturally different eras will have different tastes in music. G

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Diversity in music is a great thing Gav. I tend to stay to the heavier side of music but as i said earlier i also really like Nordic/Viking music. At present i am going through a 'The Broken View' phase. Their acoustic album is my go to 'model bench' album. No doubt i'll move onto something else in time.

I am one of those older than yourself and yet i'm not really into the 'old school' metal bands (pre '87). They just don't cut it apart from the odd song. But i can greatly appreciate modern metal and all it's sub-divisions.

Gavalaar1980

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
Diversity in music is a great thing Gav. I tend to stay to the heavier side of music but as i said earlier i also really like Nordic/Viking music. At present i am going through a 'The Broken View' phase. Their acoustic album is my go to 'model bench' album. No doubt i'll move onto something else in time.

I am one of those older than yourself and yet i'm not really into the 'old school' metal bands (pre '87). They just don't cut it apart from the odd song. But i can greatly appreciate modern metal and all it's sub-divisions.
Indeed. Other than the big 4 of thrash metal I'm not really into the older metal bands. Like Iron Maiden for arguments sake; I've never really enjoyed their music. Sure, they are talented but it's not really metal in my opinion, the riffs aren't fast or heavy enough and I just don't like their image at all. G

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Cassettes! I first went to sea in 1975 - the ships didn't have any real facilities for listening to radio - only short wave , listening to the BBC world service. Music cassettes were our bar entertainment ( the bars invariably had high end sound systems paid for with bar profits ) vinyl records were a non-starter for obvious reasons! . The other officers ranged in age from late 50's to the cadets 17! We all had cassettes, so there was a wide range of music..............the rule was you had to listen to other peoples tapes, before playing your own ( no sneaky tape ejection ). I was exposed to a lot of different music - the only one I disliked at that time was jazz - especially modern jazz ( rap & grime was way in the future! ), something that I still avoid! So, Neil Diamond could be followed by Queen, followed by James Last!
Dave

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Cassettes! I first went to sea in 1975 - the ships didn't have any real facilities for listening to radio - only short wave , listening to the BBC world service. Music cassettes were our bar entertainment ( the bars invariably had high end sound systems paid for with bar profits ) vinyl records were a non-starter for obvious reasons! . The other officers ranged in age from late 50's to the cadets 17! We all had cassettes, so there was a wide range of music..............the rule was you had to listen to other peoples tapes, before playing your own ( no sneaky tape ejection ). I was exposed to a lot of different music - the only one I disliked at that time was jazz - especially modern jazz ( rap & grime was way in the future! ), something that I still avoid! So, Neil Diamond could be followed by Queen, followed by James Last!
Dave
What a great idea. Just remember when you mention Rap that the C is silent Dave……

Gavalaar1980

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
Wow , never would have imagined there were so many punk and metal heads on here , thought I would have been in a minority! Personally my tastes are very varied but predominantly rock/ metal/ punk . Suppose people of my age were lucky enough to have been in their teens when punk first kicked off , it was a very exciting time . Saw The Cure , The Damned , The Ruts all at Sheffield Top Rank when I wasnt actually old enough to get in (almost 16 ) ,saw The Exploited at Sheffield Uni ( never seen so much spit flying ! I stayed dry at the back ,Wattie the singer was absolutely dripping !)
I have recently seen the band Terror live, they are hard-core punk (American). They were brilliant, such an intense show! If you like high energy hard-core then they are a must see. Ticket was £20 but I would have happily paid a hundred quid to see this; it was that good! G

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Two large wind generators were standing together in a field when one turned to the other and said "What type of music do you like?" The second replied "I don't like to admit this but i'm a big metal fan"

And it's good night from him.

John

therapy

SMF Supporter
First Name
Nick
Newspaper headline after Andre Previn spotted vacuuming his carpets at midnight
" Orchestral Man Hoovers in the Dark "
Won't bother about the coat!
Dave

The first time I saw that band there were only the two of them. One on keyboard and the other on bass. They also had a big reel to reel tape machine on stage with the percussion track that one of them had to start and stop. I think they were the support for Gary Numan.... probably would have been about 1979 or 80...

Nick

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
Late as usual as I missed this, but I have a very eclectic taste in music but have heavy metal music to thank for my tinnitus

malvern_man

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
I like metal too, I've been to Monsters Of Rock a few times before it changed names to Download (Donington is around 25 miles from where I live, and yes I did hear some of the Metallica set from this year)

I listen to the likes of Iron Maiden, AC/DC and Metallica etc but I do like some heavier stuff including Melodic Death Metal such as...

Sonic Syndicate
The Unguided
Motionless In White
Soilwork
Killswitch Engage
Scar Symmetry
Memphis May Fire
Trivium
Bullet For My Valentine
The Amity Affliction
Avenged Sevenfold
Still Remains

...there's lots of other bands too but my list of 'likes' is way to long to list.

Harris Shoerats

SMF Supporter
First Name
Russell
Hi folks,

Just thought I'd start a thread about music. I absolutely love all forms and sub genre's of metal and punk. I have seen many bands and feel absolutely privileged. Some of my favourites are:-

Slipknot
Metallica
Korn
Slayer
Green Day
Anthrax
Tool
Megadeth
Coal Chamber
Millencolin
Face to Face
Napalm Death
Alice in Chains
System of a Down
Wildhearts
Pitchshifter
The Darkness
5 finger death punch,
Etc, etc, etc

Any of you been to Download or Ozzfest? Any regular gig attendees?

Regards,

Gavin.

Hi folks,

Just thought I'd start a thread about music. I absolutely love all forms and sub genre's of metal and punk. I have seen many bands and feel absolutely privileged. Some of my favourites are:-

Slipknot
Metallica
Korn
Slayer
Green Day
Anthrax
Tool
Megadeth
Coal Chamber
Millencolin
Face to Face
Napalm Death
Alice in Chains
System of a Down
Wildhearts
Pitchshifter
The Darkness
5 finger death punch,
Etc, etc, etc

Any of you been to Download or Ozzfest? Any regular gig attendees?

Regards,

Gavin.
Hello Gavin
I'm off to see Royal Blood soon on my 60th
It will be my first gig since the lockdowns.
Back in the day I was a regular at the Oxford New Theatre
Rock on etc.......

Russ