Anyone else who has done only one model of a subject?

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
I've only ever done one model of a civilian car, which was the Revell Trabant - first and last car I've done and can't really see me doing any more.
Anyone else who has just done one of a type - be it a plane, tank, car etc?

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
a single gundam quite a few years ago.............................only 3 floaty boaty things

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
I am well known for my luv of StuG' so tend to only build them, however i am about to embark on battleships as well.
Never tried a StuG, might have to have a go at one.
I've done boats (well, HMS Hood, the Bismarck and a 'wooden' medieval sailing ship (can't remember which one that was though), back in the day) and have a plywood hull for a r/c one in the shed that I've not got round to doing anything with for the past 40+ years!
a single gundam quite a few years ago.............................only 3 floaty boaty things
Same number of floaty boaty things as me then! :thumb2:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I guess it depends on how broadly you define “subject”. I’ve only ever built one rally car model, for example, but have built a number of (civilian) cars over the years. Taking it very broadly, like “civilian cars”, “civilian aircraft”, “military vehicles”, “real spacecraft” etc. then I think I’ve built exactly one Formula 1 car, while in every other major category I can think of, I’ve either built multiple (or a lot of) models, or none at all.

Bobby Conkers

Sausage Fingers
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Oh aye. One train, one plane, one yacht, one submarine, one aircraft carrier. I think I'm trying to acquire a niche, which seems to be turning to floaty boaty.

I want to do spaceships, a helicopter and maybe a truck at some point. As I'm not really interested in military the marketplace is greatly reduced for me. Also, most models are largely the 'outside' of the vehicle, and for me most of the interesting stuff is on the inside.

dave

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Only one civilian car, a Stutz Bearcat when I was about 10.
my main interest is WWII aircraft, an amazing period of development from the last biplanes through to the first jets, in a very short time.

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
I've only done one spacecraft (Airfix Luna landing - first time around), but am tempted with another, but not tempted with another car - youngest left a Tamiya Scooby WRC Impreza when he moved out, not even tempted with it.
Thinking about it, just no interest in cars - might be tempted with a Volvo 144(?) as we had one as a wedding car, but not too bothered.

D

Deleted member 7181

I've also only done one car, and still haven't quite finished it!

I may do a couple more in the future as I'm keen to make a replica of my own, and have had a few commission requests for similar where I've already painted / modified their real cars and they want a miniature version, but since it's more of a busman's holiday I doubt I'll do many.

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
I've also only done one car, and still haven't quite finished it!

I may do a couple more in the future as I'm keen to make a replica of my own, and have had a few commission requests for similar where I've already painted / modified their real cars and they want a miniature version, but since it's more of a busman's holiday I doubt I'll do many.
Sounds like a good history - customise/get customised your car, then have a model of it to keep when you sell it :thumb2: (or to show the police if stolen!)

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
.... Not sure that this is EXACTLY what you`re after Gerry...........BUT.........In all the builds i`ve completed over the years........
...... I`ve only done ONE kit that i`d be happy to offer up against PROPER modellers!!;) :nerd:,
Andy

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
.... Not sure that this is EXACTLY what you`re after Gerry...........BUT.........In all the builds i`ve completed over the years........
...... I`ve only done ONE kit that i`d be happy to offer up against PROPER modellers!!;) :nerd:,
Andy
That's one more than me - I wouldn't put ANY of mine 'up against' ANY of the modellers on here! (feel a bit like a nursery kid (whose parent is Leonardo Da Vinci) taking a picture home for parents to stick on the fridge sometimes!) ;) :thumb2::smiling5:
No, I was just wondering if anyone else had tried a 'genre' and, like me, found that it 'didn't hit the spot'/'scratch the itch' for them.

Bobby Conkers

Sausage Fingers
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
That's one more than me - I wouldn't put ANY of mine 'up against' ANY of the modellers on here! (feel a bit like a nursery kid (whose parent is Leonardo Da Vinci) taking a picture home for parents to stick on the fridge sometimes!) ;) :thumb2::smiling5:
No, I was just wondering if anyone else had tried a 'genre' and, like me, found that it 'didn't hit the spot'/'scratch the itch' for them.

As such, I think it's an interesting question. A friend got me the Dambusters Lancaster for Xmas a few years ago - almost as soon as I started it I wanted it finished. There was no time I felt like I had something to look forward to except a different model.

I should note I've actually worked as a military historian, and editor of many books on the subject. Perhaps familiarity has bred disinterest.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Can’t think of anything I’ve done once and not liked......only made one bike kit, but have several more in the stash for ”one day”. Never tried SciFi or modern military though.....and am not sure I ever will.....

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I realised this afternoon that I also only ever painted one bust and have only built one model of a medieval subject (that same bust :smiling3:).

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Only ever made one Sci-Fi model ( and that was for a friends' son ), I'll probably never do another it doesn't interest me at all! I've tried most other genres, from modelling engineering through R/C to plank on frame models, I don't like making multiple versions ( unlike Bob & his Stugs! ), I'm afraid I would lose interest repeating things. I do tend to head for the less popular and obscure end of the market, but I've no hard & fast rules about that - just things that catch my interest....................
Dave

Del640

SMF Supporter
First Name
Del
I built a helicopter once, I really didn't find it interesting and quite bland...don't know why to be honest.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Assuming I can get back to modelling, I will only make one version of any particular thing. I can appreciate those who have an interest in a particular subject and want to make all the different versions, but for me, there is so much variety available I couldn't possibly even begin to make one of everything that takes my fancy.

The exception to this of course is figures. I can make figures for a dio which only vary in the position of limbs or different weapons, but even that's limited to say half a dozen figures. As for this guy, he's just totally insane -

- until you compare him to this lunatic!