Anyone up for a Special Interest Group Build?

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
The idea of running a SIG build has been batted around awhile ago, and a little project I will be starting soon got me thinking it could be an interesting SIG.

The Idea was Then and Now; My interest of point being I have an EE Lightning and a Tonka, both of which where Fire-birds; 56squadron, hence the Then and now.

In an attempt to keep things sort of in the same area, I will go as far as saying any two aircraft, flown by the same squadron with at LEAST 20 years between them. It could be the first plane they had and the last..

At the rate squadrons are getting axed, it might be an idea to get going while there are still some to choose from.

As for a time line, I would suggest six months build time with a start day the first of march.

So any one fancy signing up?

Comments and suggestions welcome but this is an aircraft build. If the idea is good enough maybe the next one could be the same idea but different, say armour or figures....

I am aware that Graham is a busy man and John has also more than enough on his plate, so if its OK with them, I will step up to the wicket and try to hold things together on this one if there is no objection, and if some one else wants to help out even better!

Ian M

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Blimy that was quick!

Once there are a few (hopefully) I can start a list with who is in and what they plan on building...

Ian M

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
If i can keep my head out of books then i'd give it a go Ian, got a great idea for the build too.

Have fun, John

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Well by the overwhelming response, I guess it was not that good an idea. What the hey

So there is Me, I will be doing An E.E. Lightning and a Tornado F3 from 56sq. "the fire-birds"

What about you others, Cards on the table time!

About the start date. Are you OK with a start date the First of March, or shall we say April?

Ian M

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
It's a great idea,the only reason I'm not 100% in is that I know work will keep me away from the bench and I wouldn't want to commit myself only to pull out later. If I do get a "window of opportunity" I'd like to join in,I might need a biplane though :hmmm: It doesn't need a rugby team to make a fun group effort .

Cheers

Steve

M

msm2

Had a quick look, would I be allowed to do this one . Luftwaffe 1939 Bf109E - Luftwaffe 2011 Eurofighter Typhoon.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
The Bundesluftwaffe doesn't name squadrons after WW2 aces (for obvious reasons) but WW1 is okay. I think there may be a "Richthofen" which might fit the bill

Steve

M

msm2

A quick look around on the webby I have found the Jagdgeschwader 1. It looks promising.

F

Fenlander

You can run this SIG with as many or as few people as you want Ian. Don't worry about numbers, it is a great idea and deserves to run no matter what.

By all means run it as you want, if you need a special forum setting up just PM John with what you want. I assume that "Then and now" is not limited to aircraft? Anyone fancy a couple of Ark Royals lol.

Seriously though, it is a good idea, I will have a go but I will be doing a couple of land vehicles if you don't mind. Does each one of the pair have to be the same scale? I personally cannot see why they cannot be different but it is your shout.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
I will hopefully be joining in Ian, but I am a bit confused..

No offence intended Graham but this SIG, as Ian points out is for aircraft only....I think!

Ron

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
\ said:
You can run this SIG with as many or as few people as you want Ian. Don't worry about numbers, it is a great idea and deserves to run no matter what.By all means run it as you want, if you need a special forum setting up just PM John with what you want. I assume that "Then and now" is not limited to aircraft? Anyone fancy a couple of Ark Royals lol.

Seriously though, it is a good idea, I will have a go but I will be doing a couple of land vehicles if you don't mind. Does each one of the pair have to be the same scale? I personally cannot see why they cannot be different but it is your shout.
I was rather hoping to keep it in the flying machine dept. as stated in the initial post, with the suggestion that if it goes well we could cover an other group next time round. On the subject of scale I can see no reason for mixed scales, other than it could be fun to be able to see the difference in size of some of the modern stuff, parked up next to the older ones. After the great job you did on your Fw 190 in the very first group build Graham you should not have any great problems with a couple of aircraft!!!

Ian M

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
\ said:
I will hopefully be joining in Ian, but I am a bit confused..No offence intended Graham but this SIG, as Ian points out is for aircraft only....I think!

Ron
Thanks Ron glad to have you aboard. You thought right!! Have a beer!

Ian M

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
\ said:
The Bundesluftwaffe doesn't name squadrons after WW2 aces (for obvious reasons) but WW1 is okay. I think there may be a "Richthofen" which might fit the billSteve
See I know nowt about the lufwaffe/bundesluftwaffe but there must be a couple of squadrons that have existed long enough to have an interesting then and now possibility. Maybe you could help out with that...?

I hope that you can find the time to join in but work does pay the bills, inconvenient but essential.

Ian M

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
\ said:
Had a quick look, would I be allowed to do this one . Luftwaffe 1939 Bf109E - Luftwaffe 2011 Eurofighter Typhoon.
If they flew in the same squadron then Yes that would be fine!

Ian M

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
I've added the forum

Special Interest Group (SIG) Build

and a sub-forum Then and now; Aircraft I will be happy to create more sub-forums as and when required.