Applying decals..

5thelement

Im not quite at this stage yet, but im almost there, just need to paint one final colour onto the plane now, and then it'll be time to apply the decals.

The decal im worried about messing up most, is the white spiral which goes onto the nose cone, it doesn't look too easy to apply! does anyone have any tips?

Also, the model has been done in matt paint, and i've been reading that decals are more prone to messing up on matt paints. Is it 100% vital i spray it with a gloss coat before doing this? or is it okay to apply them without? i think i'd prefer a matt finish (i've read you can then spray with a matt coat after though?) being my first model, i'd rather just get on with it without lol but how prone are they to being totally messed up when applied straight onto matt paint?

Any general decal tips would be appreciated.

Sorry for another question allready!

Cheers

R

rjwood_uk

when you put decals onto matt paint for a start the water will mark the paint, and it will also absorb it a bit meaning the decal will stick fast almost instantly, not allowing you to move it around at all!!!

go to the supermarket and buy yourself some Johnsons Klear (about £3 a bottle...we talked about in the other thread) get some cotton wool, soak it in the clear and cover your whole model. it should soak into the matt paint a bit so it wont make it too glossy at all (even though its a varnish)

leave it over night (covered to stop dust getting on it)

apply the decals, leave for a while and give it all another coat of Klear, leave over night again. then, if its a bit too glossy for your liking (not that aircraft are 100% matt any way) give it a spray over with a matt varnish.

the Johnsons Klear will also stop and silvering around the edges of the decals and make them apear as if they are painted on!!!!

5thelement

Cheers, looks like i'll go buy some of that then :smiling3: hopefully i'll find it today somewhere.

S

squiffythewombat

You can use microsol and microset too, although personally i just use a gloss varnish at 60%, apply decals and then spray a sparing coat of matt over the top, but i think a semi-satin finnish is good for aircraft!

As for the spinner decal, use a sharp knife and cut as much of the excess transfer away so your just left with the line, this will reduce any "sticking" problems you have and provided the surface is going to key ok (see richards post) then it should slide on a treat!

5thelement

Thanks, noticed some examples of microsol the other night, made the decals look like they were actually painted on, quite impressive.

Anyway, i picked up a bottle of Klear today (Johnson Wax: Klear) £2.34 from Wilkinsons.

So, once i've finished painting, is it best to use a brush to apply this stuff, or cotton wool as you allready suggested? only thing i was worried about was bits of fluff from cotton wool getting stuck, i guess that wont happen though, i hope lol

N

Nigel.D

If you are going to put a spiral decal round a prop spinner you will have a huge problem if you dont do a couple of things

1 gloss varnish the spinner first make sure its nice and shiny

2 cut as much of the carrier film away from the decal as poss

3 use microset as a wetting agent on the spinner it will enable you to move the decal around to get the correct positioning

4 then give it a coat of microsol to help the decal soften and conform to the compund curves

5 if you have no micro sol use distilled vinegar or acetic acid diluted 50/50 with water

6 when dry coat with matt varnish to seal

5thelement

I get the feeling im gonna make a right arse of this decal lol thanks alot for the advice though, i'll try pick up some microsol/microset, looks like pretty good stuff in general for all decals.

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
You will be fine,just follow Nigels excellent instructions,the secret is to get that decal to soften with the acetic solution.

5thelement

Just got back from the model shop (i think im starting to become a permanent feature there lol) anyway, i couldn't see any Microset/Microsol, but i picked up a bottle of Humbrol "DecalFix" which by the sounds of it, is something similar.

Im guessing it wont do any harm anyway

Has anyone used it before?

N

Nigel.D

Please please do not use humbrol decal fix unless your model is a humbrol/airfix/heller kit as it doesnt work on anyone elses decals you would be left with a ruined model and a very negative opinion of our advice if the kit is not one of the above use a diluted vinegar solution

5thelement

Ah, so that was a waste of money :sad: lol the kit im building is a Revell kit. Thanks alot for pointing that out though, there's nothing on the bottle to say it's only for use with Airfix kits.

I suppose if anything it'll come in handy for any airfix kits i buy in the future (was looking at a Spitfire)

So, with the diluted vinegar, would i apply a little onto the model before sliding the decal on, or just use it afterwards over the decal?

Sorry again for all the questions!

Last edited:
N

Nigel.D

Afterwards mate it helps soften the decal to conform to shape

N

Nigel.D

if you have no micro set another alternative is dishwasher rinse aid it is a wetting agent and will help you out no end

N

Nigel.D

just goes to show though !!!who on earth thought that modelling was a pocet money exercise lol

5thelement

Tell me about it lol

Dont suppose you could give me a name of any dishwasher rinse aid? never had a dishwasher so i've got no idea what i'd be looking for. I'll have a look in Asda on thursday eitherway.

G/f is having a right laugh at me aswell, painting floor polish, vinegar and now dishwasher rinse aid onto my model lol i'll be pulling out the HP sauce next lol

Thanks again for the tips, all really appreciated, i cant wait to have this finished and post some pictures!

B

Bunkerbarge

HP sauce is actually very good for cleaning metalwork!

Not only is it acetic acid based, i.e. vinegar, but it also contains enough gentle abrasives to polish metal very effectively.

For a dramatic demonstration stick some on a cloth and polish a brass coin such as a Two Pence piece.

It is also pretty good on a bacon buttie!!!

R

rjwood_uk

now that im dont believe, going to have to try it to believe it myself!!!

does it have to be HP or can it be any bbq/brown sauce?

lol

B

Bunkerbarge

Any acetic acid based sauce, check the ingredients for vinegar.