Are "Vallejo Air" paints pre thinned?

W

Waffen Bucks

Hi all.

Are "Vallejo Air" paints pre thinned (ready to use in an airbrush) or do i have to thin them myself?

First Name
Adrian
Never used them myself but from what I have seen posted I think they are hence the Air in the title.

Adrian

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Yes they are pre-thinned Andrew so you can spray with them straight away

Last edited by a moderator:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Yes sir. the original shake and spray! They are ready for use and just need a good shake. Some thin them a bit more though. Its a question of how you are used to working.

Ian M

I haven't used them too much, but I've noticed that they have this weird tendency to dry up quickly, stuffing the AB nozzle. I'd recommend to use some retarder with it.

They are nice, but I think too expensive..

D

Danny

Have to agree with Bart...being new to Air Brush use...I tried them, but was forever having to stop to clean the nozzle with as little as a 1 minute rest from brushing.

Danny

First Name
Dave
Don't have a problem with them drying in the nozzle.But I use a .5 nozzle and spray in a cold shed.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I use them all the time and find them excellent.

All acrylics have a drying problem and, as someone said, a drop of retarder helps that. I also thin the Air about 10% as well, using a 0.2 needle at 15-20psi.

The eye-dropper bottle also makes them easy to use. I recommend their own thinner incidentally and also to allow a 24 hour curing time before masking or painting over.

P

Polux

All my paints are Vallejo Air.

I use a .2 nozzle and I haven't problem.

It's true but...I usually mix two drops of distil water.

I think the greens and grey are which you must have more attention.

Ps: I try the AK paints (airbrush) and have many problems with they....

W

Waffen Bucks

Many many thanks to you all for the info. Will have to invest in some retarder by the looks of things.

W

Waffen Bucks

I normally use a 50% 50% mix with my Tamiya paints and thinners.

How much retarder should i use with the Vallejo Air paints?

I haven't had any problems with paint stuck in the AB (as yet). I've only really been messing with it since Christmas, so the damp weather may have played a part in that.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Just a drop Andrew. Not much at all. If you use Vallejo thinner then there is retarder in that (as in Tammy thinner which is why you may not have had a problem with them). Like I say I tend to do a 10% Vallejo thinner with Air and doing that I have not used retarder. if I want a 'dry' application I will use a tiny drop of retarder rather than thinner.

W

Waffen Bucks

\ said:
Just a drop Andrew. Not much at all. If you use Vallejo thinner then there is retarder in that (as in Tammy thinner which is why you may not have had a problem with them). Like I say I tend to do a 10% Vallejo thinner with Air and doing that I have not used retarder. if I want a 'dry' application I will use a tiny drop of retarder rather than thinner.
Many thanks for the info Barry. Much appreciated.