Arial height , a daft question?

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Alan, I've just had a look at Panzer Tanks on Google Images, there's plenty of antennas to choose from on there.....Take your pick. Small, large, thick, thin or none at all!

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Thanks guys :smiling3:

\ said:
Alan, I've just had a look at Panzer Tanks on Google Images, there's plenty of antennas to choose from on there.....Take your pick. Small, large, thick, thin or none at all!
yup that's what made me ask , I couldn't tell which was right as I said daft question :D

\ said:
Looks a bit thick at the top?
yup I'll deal with it :smiling3:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
It always amuses me when what is right and wrong crops up particularly where armour is concerned.....

If the thing is factory fresh, then yes, it possibly should to be 'As was'. But on the battlefield, it's a brave person to state this or that wasn't fitted, scrounged, altered.

Perhaps the antenna was knocked off or broken and the crew found one from a different type of tank, perhaps not even German, and set to modifying the thing.

I'm sure these sort of things happened during all conflicts and still do....

So, I say stick on what size antenna you like Alan, Like Patrick writes, as long as it has a bit of a taper it'll be fine.......

Mind you, in the early days of our marriage, my wife and I used a coat hanger 'aerial' for our little t.v., and that worked fine too!

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Your right Ron battle conditions change everything:smiling3:

My dad had a 60s ford consul that had a coat hanger for an aerial :D

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Try cats' whiskers Alan - but first ask the cat if you can have one or I'll be sending the lads round!

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
\ said:
Try cats' whiskers
lol...i was going to suggest the same....i always pick up stray ones from my two trip hazards

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Good idea about brushes :smiling3:

i tell you what is a good substitute is the little plastic things that attach labels to clothes, well if you cut the flat square end off they do look good and tend to have a nice bend in them

Here's a photo of an M3 Stuart I'm working on at the moment View attachment 107361

image.jpg

First Name
Aaron
Stretched sprue for me and I wouldn't bother about height but some Panzers aerials were made to fold into a horizontal bracket so size for them is easy. Nice iv by the way.

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Alan

Most German tank antenna were 2m in length - equating to 57mm in 1/35 (these are tank-to-tank aerials). Command tanks etc have an extra aerial 1.4m in length - equating to 40mm in 1/35 (these were used to liaise with command and support groups, aircraft for instance)

Hope this helps

Paul