Arizona Trumpeter 1/200th

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Nick,
Beautiful build absolutely stunning detail. As to the naval book I'm with you utter gibberish.
yes ditto ON THAT NICK Id be in the rubber room after tryin to make that out as you say gibbierish
chrisb

nickedw

SMF Supporter
First Name
Nick
I must admit after complaining about the rigging, the Victory has been fascinating. It’s the opposite of most model builds in as much as it’s widely regarded as the most thoroughly documented war machine ever built. I’ve got books with astonishing levels of detail including the make up of every multi-part rib and the exact workings of every aspect of it. It’s also been in continuous service with the Royal Navy since it was built, also unique.

It had already had its first refit when Nelson got hold of it at the time of Trafalgar, she was launched in 1765 so 50 years old by Trafalgar.

So like B-52s now!

There’s about 2000 oak trees went into her, and it turns out that the New Forest was actually cultivated as a key military resource to provide timber for the fleet I learnt as part of this.

She’s also a bit like triggers brush, in so much has been replaced over the years, there’s very little of the original left. Like most war machines all kinds of modifications were made during her life as well as repairs and battle damage, so the question becomes, you are building a model of Victory WHEN? most people, myself included go for the Trafalgar version.

I live in North Wales and a small town near me made all the copper nails that secure the essential copper plates these things were covered in, for the duration they were in use for the entire Royal Navy.

The first published engineering tolerance for anything ever made in the world was for the naval guns these things were equipped with, they were bored for the first time by a giant waterwheel again in another obscure little town near me, to a tolerance of ‘half an English shilling’ this was a game changer, as the bores had previously been cast in and were all shapes and sizes, never straight and prone to exploding. After this, English guns became stronger, safer, and significantly more accurate, a key factor in our naval dominance.

Again in the 18th century the first factory was built (so not Henry Ford) to make the thousands of blocks and tackles these warships each needed - who knew?

And so on…

I’ll get me coat.

Nick

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Nick

Great modelling and I have to admit that I am very much an 18th century sailing ship nerd. I have never built Victory but I have built some frigates of the period and I am a keen painter of the period.

chesapeake.jpg

This is the great frigate duel between Shannon and the Chesapeake.

John

nickedw

SMF Supporter
First Name
Nick
That's amazing, I used to do a bit of pencil drawing, but never dabbled with oils.

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
The Arizona is absolutely superb - worst of all, I understand all the rest! Lovely work on Victory's rigging so far (and the rest of her too!)
Steve

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Excellent models Nick.
Where in N. Wales are you?

Ron

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Nearly neighbours!
I'm in the sticks, fairly close to Rossett.
The border is about a mile away.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Nick

Sorry completely missed this. Was busy studying. Both your ships are masterpieces.

Very Very well done indeed

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Apologies from me too for missing this Nick, was in Penang for a competition when you posted this. Both are lovely builds. I have a thing for ships of the sailing era but not the patience to build them. Currently stalled with my USS Constipation.

Cheers,
Wabble