AZ Bf109 Gustav ‘Joypack’ (their words not mine!)

Magneto

Oberleutnant
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Joypack - 3 kits in one - but no decals no stencils. Option to build G-5 / G-6 / G-14 and a G-8

You get 2 x standard Gustav canopies and 1 x Erla Haube - this limits options for all 3 build options but for less than £20 it’s still a good deal.
At some point a little extra 3 sprues were included to build a G-1 to G-4 but they reboxed it and took them out. Both boxes have exactly the same model kit number - only the title is different.

It’s a quaint little package full to the brim with 6 lots of sprues (3x2) and a set of colour instructions. Options for different landing gear, canopy, head armour (panzer glass and basic) antennas (tall, short) and df loop as well as underslung cannons, etc.

You are left to your own to research the build - the quagmire that is late Gustav is no easy road to tread. In fact I’m still stuck in there trying to fight my way through to a clearer landscape.

It was a little difficult to seal the cockpit into the fuselage - perhaps it was because I added some details? But with the canopy on only some of the office can be seen. Still the clear parts are very good.

Im probably going to do some cutting again as all slats and flaps are neutral.

IMG_4279.jpegIMG_4278.jpegIMG_4277.jpegIMG_4273.jpeg

IMG_4269.jpeg

Oh, just to add; The G-6 option (and all the others) are earlier types with the two Beule for the bigger cowling guns (13mm I think)
This is rivet counting so not at all riveting but because of these ‘boils’ there should be a small access hatch around about frame 4 on the low starboard side. This is the refill hatch for the compressed air bottles that recoil the cowling guns.

It can be scribed but it is much easier just to plonk an (thankfully) easily found decal on that point.

Last edited:

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Nice choice paul , I found the AZ kit of the 109 f -2 to be a great build, in fact ive got the g-6 to do too but reboxed in the Special Hobby Finnish scheme boxing . The only shame with these is that the lovely cockpit detail cant be seen as there is no open canopy option . Cheers tony

Magneto

Oberleutnant
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Nice choice paul , I found the AZ kit of the 109 f -2 to be a great build, in fact ive got the g-6 to do too but reboxed in the Special Hobby Finnish scheme boxing . The only shame with these is that the lovely cockpit detail cant be seen as there is no open canopy option . Cheers tony
Hi Tony, I’ve got a bunch of these little kits. I also have the Croat G-6. The elephant in the room with these kits are the dimensions. I’ve checked them and they seem pretty much bang on. There is talk of a ‘skinny’ nose so I will report once kit is together.

Regarding canopy - There are 2 ways around it. Saw it or replace from the mass of Eduard canopy spares. The canopy is impressively clear so closed up is not that much of a factor at this scale in my h o

You are right about the cockpit detail - it’s very good although not ‘Eduard’.

Magneto

Oberleutnant
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Should be an update today. I told myself more build less reading! But I hit a mystery that wasn’t in my best references.
I know the answer and boy am I happy.
So just for fun let’s see if any of you fine gentlemen know what this is;):cool::smiling5:

IMG_4283.jpeg

Magneto

Oberleutnant
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
so here is the update:

Dihedral was corrected once wings attached to fuselage - prior to that I was a little alarmed. One genuine error thus far are the colour call-outs for cockpit - it’s calling for RLM 2 but now I realise it was supposed to be RLM 66. I managed to change the hue to something reasonably close by a stroke of luck.

IMG_4287.jpeg

The trailing edge flaps have been repositioned. I have a little more filling and then a little re-scribing. The leading edge slats will justifiably be left alone as these were often pushed in by the ever vigilant ’black men’ to prevent any foreign objects from getting in there.

IMG_4285.jpeg

This perennial view that seems to be floating around had me scratching my head. I’ve checked all the dimensions and they all still seem to be on point. Perhaps AZ did a good Eduard move and corrected the errors on later moulds? Anyway, nice little kit.

Last edited:

Magneto

Oberleutnant
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Should be an update today. I told myself more build less reading! But I hit a mystery that wasn’t in my best references.
I know the answer and boy am I happy.
So just for fun let’s see if any of you fine gentlemen know what this is;):cool::smiling5:

View attachment 505423
you are all stumped? :thinking::upside:

Magneto

Oberleutnant
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
well it did take me some time to find it. I was so surprised that no one author mentions it.

I mean they mention the ‘Beule’ the ‘jowls’ at front bottom end for pipe work but not a peep about this blister;

Number 8 is the ‘Doppelschußgeber’ (I think it’s twin barrel switch - part of the electronic timing for firing through props?)

IMG_4288.jpeg

IMG_4289.jpeg

Last edited:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Doppelschußgeber translates word for word as “double-shot giver”. However, I have no idea what it’s supposed to be for, based on that name … Is it to allow both guns to fire at the same time, maybe? The only hits get when searching for “Doppelschußgeber” is for things like electronically controlled looms (for weaving cloth), bird-scaring devices priced in D-Marks, the USSR’s Venus landers, etc. which I’m fairly sure all have nothing to do with the device here :smiling3:

Adding Bf 109 to the search turns up a manual for the plane that includes the photo you have above. It’s the Doppelschußgeber DSG 3 AL, which of course is a pointless abbreviation here as it stands for the term we already know:

DSG 3 AL.jpeg

Aha:

Doppelschußgeber.jpeg

On-the-fly translation:

3. Firing

The trigger of the control stick KG 13 A lies “safe” over the B-button. To fire, it is folded forward so that it lies in front of the trigger finger (index finger) and simultaneously makes the B-button available.

Firing the MG 131 and (if installed) the wing-mounted MG 151/20 is done with the A-button. In the electrical double-shot device [Elt-Doppelschußgeber] (P 137), the power circuit of the ignition coils’ primary system is alternatingly closed and interrupted by cams working on pairs of contacts. Through this, around 40 volts is generated in the secondary system of the ignition coils (P 147 and P 134), which creates the ignition spark for the ammunition through the interruptor contact.

On releasing the A-button, the trigger circuit is switched off with a delay of 0.4 to 0.7 seconds, so that any round in the chamber will be guaranteed to be fired and the bolt will be caught (charged).

So what the DSG 3 AL does, is receive the firing signal from the trigger, and then fire both cowl-mounted guns when the interruptor allows it to.

Last edited:

Magneto

Oberleutnant
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
well it did take me some time to find it. I was so surprised that no one author mentions it.

I mean they mention the ‘Beule’ the ‘jowls’ at front bottom end for pipe work but not a peep about this blister;

Number 8 is the ‘Doppelschußgeber’ (It is the twin barrel switch (or transmitter which means exactly the same concept as switch i.e. it is activated by an on off signal - and is part of the electronic timing for firing through props)

There can be no doubt that ‘geber’ in this sense means transmitter

Hopefully everyone will find the pictures and labels I gave very clear and obvious so there won’t be any need to try to trump it!

I enjoyed the challenge of finding the answer especially as no one seemed to know - thats what it’s all about! Helping fellow modellers.

Last edited:

Magneto

Oberleutnant
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
This build nearly done. A little work required with some parts but I do admire the kit - I’m not sure where AK 3G get their RLM 75 - it is way too much in the green rather than grey spectrum - plus it is too dark. It is supposed to be scaled down tones.

In 1/72 I might have to get the micro out for mottling - it needs to be much finer.

Canopy ‘free’ masking is a lot of work - maybe I might wuss out and get precut masks. Don’t know

Of course I’ve made some mistakes but this kit isn’t going on display anywhere. I might not even bother with decals as it was just practice. I might go back in again and do another one (as there are 3 in box)

Choosing between the versions still requires a lot of reading.

overall I am quite indifferent with this one.

IMG_4300.jpeg
IMG_4302.jpegIMG_4301.jpeg

Magneto

Oberleutnant
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Im calling this done with. No decals, no antenna and wire and no final finish. I’ve got another half dozen of these kits so will take advantage of that - I was going to throw on the Barkhorn decals but I wanted to wait until I did a decent build. I’m not wasting my time with decals/stencils on a practice kit. One thing is the flaps turned out ok for now until next time.

So, on a snowy field far far away….

image.jpgIMG_4373.jpegIMG_4371.jpegIMG_4370.jpegIMG_4369.jpegIMG_4368.jpegIMG_4367.jpegIMG_4366.jpegIMG_4365.jpeg

Last edited: