B-17G 1/72 with multiple damage

First Name
Fidel
Hi to everyone!, First of all, let me introduce myself, I'm a spanish teenager (sorry if I have any grammar errors) that has been doing models since I was 8 years old, with any help, and I need some profesional help with my b-17. The problem is that my b-17 is only for the specific planes: little miss mieschief and the leyendary Nine o Nine, and according to the information I found about those planes, there are no reports of those planes being with that much damage (hits with 30mm guns on the tail, engine fire leak, 3 fuselage hits), so I'm trying to find a way to change the plane decals and camouflage to make a diferent plane , and also make It historically accurate, i dont know if I explained myself well, but thats my main problem. And if someone have any random tip to improve my plane, It'll be great.
Here are the pictures, thanks y'all.

Attachments

• 1645062256870..jpg
    1645062256870..jpg
    174 KB · Views: 27
  • 1645062277983..jpg
    1645062277983..jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 28
  • 1645062334145..jpg
    1645062334145..jpg
    105 KB · Views: 29

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
There are many after market decals for the B 17 g. A quick search on Google turns up literally hundreds.
If you start by finding an image of the aircraft you want to model then find the decals it should be easier than trying to find decals that match what you are doing...

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Also if you know a particular decal sheet of a bomber group that has an aircraft with the same kind of damage, all it needs is a generic decal sheet of numbers and lettering to make the aircraft you want. After market decals have these options and is a matter if searching the net for it.

Cheers,
Richard

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
WELLCOME Fidel to a great forum best one goin on the web in my opinion
chris ps please could you post your pics full size as i cannot see them propberly as id love to see your work on a damagded B17

First Name
Fidel
Thanks Ian, but the problem is that the place i live doesn't recieve much orders, beacause I live in the canary islands. Its too far away I guess. I think I'll keep the Nine o Nine, I know there are no reports of that much damage, but its posible so...

Andy the Sheep

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrea
Nice project, Fidel and, looking at your pics, an interesting and fine build.:thumb2:
Remember: if you are having fun building your B17 your way, then everything else is not so important.:cool:
Finally, don't be bothered for your English: I'm italian and have the same problem, but, as you will soon learn, this is a Gentlemens' forum where modelling and bantering are the only things that matter.;)

Andrea

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I think I'll keep the Nine o Nine, I know there are no reports of that much damage, but its posible so...
My take on it is that if your intention is to build a generic model, then you can use whichever decals are suitable for the type of aircraft. You can even mix-and-match them a bit to come up with a set of markings that doesn’t represent any specific real aircraft but does represent the type and era. For example, with your kit, you could combine the serial number of one plane with the fuselage letters of the other. You could also cut up the decals and re-arrange them a bit: make aircraft No. 297808 with letters FDF instead of 297880 with DFF, for instance.

First Name
Fidel
Nice project, Fidel and, looking at your pics, an interesting and fine build.:thumb2:
Remember: if you are having fun building your B17 your way, then everything else is not so important.:cool:
Finally, don't be bothered for your English: I'm italian and have the same problem, but, as you will soon learn, this is a Gentlemens' forum where modelling and bantering are the only things that matter.;)

Andrea
I dont know if this is a reply, I dont understand this forum controls much . I love this forum, I thought that It would last weeks till someone said something, but It has been 2 days and there are a lot of useful comments!!, Thanks to all!! Really

First Name
Fidel
My take on it is that if your intention is to build a generic model, then you can use whichever decals are suitable for the type of aircraft. You can even mix-and-match them a bit to come up with a set of markings that doesn’t represent any specific real aircraft but does represent the type and era. For example, with your kit, you could combine the serial number of one plane with the fuselage letters of the other. You could also cut up the decals and re-arrange them a bit: make aircraft No. 297808 with letters FDF instead of 297880 with DFF, for instance.
This is exactly the information I need jakko, thanks a lot. the only thing that I need Is a random pin up or just some letters with a cool name for my plane and an camo and thats all, maybe I'll use the same camo as the Nine o Nine.
Thanks for your wisdom

First Name
Fidel
There are many after market decals for the B 17 g. A quick search on Google turns up literally hundreds.
If you start by finding an image of the aircraft you want to model then find the decals it should be easier than trying to find decals that match what you are doing...
Thanks Ian, but the problem is that the place i live doesn't recieve much orders, beacause I live in the canary islands. Its too far away I guess. I think I'll keep the Nine o Nine, I know there are no reports of that much damage, but its posible so... (i repeated this replay because an error)

First Name
Fidel
Hi Fidel
It’s your model, so it’s your rules…..you can perhaps make it a “what if” displaying damage that “might” have happened to Nine O Nine….
I like to make my model accurate, there is not report of a tail damage in the Nine o nine, but what you said could be a possibility, thanks for your opinion Tim