B 57 Canberra Finished

G

GEEDUBBYA

Howdy Guys and Gals,

Ok, remember the thread "Can you identify this model company?" , wherein I asked for your assistance in finding out abit about a soviet era plastic model kit of the Canberra? Well, if you remember, the model was molded in bright yellow and I had almost resigned myself to not building it.

Fortunately, I couldnt stand it any longer, so I built it. Using two tones of primer gray paint and flat black along with a very wide assortment of "decal scraps" (left overs from other models), as well as the wire from the "tie twists" from bread wrappers for antennae and pitot tubes(note the red flagging on the pitots). I decided to create a "not true to life" version of the USAF B 57 Canberra Medium Range Bomber.

Anyway, now it is complete and I am happy with the result considering it is a collection of scrap parts, and a model which was covered with "flash" (excess plastic around part edges). So, here are a few pics of the completed kit:

Anyway, it turned out well enough for me to want to show it off lol.

Have a good day,

Greg

J

Johnny

Very nice looking model there Greg!!

I really liked the colorsheme and the decals! Nice job!!

B

Bunkerbarge

I think little touches like the red tape on the pitot tubes really make a model stand out and put it on a whole new level. A really nice touch to a very well thought out compilation.

Nice plane Greg.

R

rjwood_uk

lovely model there greg! lovely paint job as well. you wouldnt have thought it was originaly yellow!

A

adzam

nice breg, very fitting since that the canberra goes out of service here in the uk this year . :smiling3:

( in fact maybe finnished now)

G

GEEDUBBYA

Howdy Guys,

Thanks for all the compliments on the model, I really didnt expect it to turn out as good as it did. I came up with the 3 tone color scheme , dark gray primer, light gray primer and flat black, due mainly to the simplicity of it. I had gone to google images several times and found photos of both the English Canberra and the Martin B 57 Canberra as well as several NASA and other surviellence models and they were all fairly colorful, but I think sometimes "simple" is best. This was especially true since I wasnt using the original decals that came with the model (They were of poor quality and also in bad shape).

I considered a "chrome" silver finish, but thinking back to the model of the B 47 Strato Jet I had built a month or two back (see my gallery), I knew that the "chrome" paint I had was still "tacky" feeling even after several months of drying time and I didnt want that for this model.

So, I ended up with this color scheme. The decals are left overs from a P3 Orion, an F 107 super sabre, an X 15 rocket plane and a few loose decals from other models.

As for the UK still using the Canberra, I am amazed. I thought that they all had been sent to the "Bone Yard" years ago. I am assuming the remaining aircraft are/were used in the recon/surviellance or research role? I mean this aircraft made its debut prior to 1950....it has lasted longer than the USAF's B 52 heavy bomber has been around. There have been many more modern, technologically advanced aircraft come and go during the lifetime of the Canberra, too many to name. This says something for English designing abilities.

Anyway, I have rambled enough, thanks again for the kind words about the model.

Have a good day,

Greg

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Greg,I love this type of build,your imagination has paid dividends as she looks very smart and convincing,these models I call representative of their role,I do the same myself,who says that you have to stick to a set pattern ? it is all about fun.

I really like the pitot covers etc,they make the model really come alive,what a good idea,will certainly give this one a whirl.

It is really good to see people like yourself enjoying modelling for what it is,ie relaxing and pure fun,and once again your Photoshop skills have come into their own,well done !

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
PS-Adz,the last three R.A.F Canberra aircraft were ferried to Kemble to a new civilian operator a few weeks ago,you can see them lined up along the perimeter track from the roadway.

Truly a remarkable aircraft,and one much loved by its pilots and crew.

B

Bluewavestudios

Greg,

A very nicely made model and some very nice photo's too. From first glimpses I thought it was an R/C Model, nonetheless she still looks nice and a real credit to you.

Regards.....Mark.

T

tigertc

WOW.......cannot believe that Russian kit turned into that.

Genius work g'dubya.