Balsa Cutter

J

JohnHA

Hi Guys,

Does anyone know where i can buy a Balsa wood strip cutter, to produce from 1/8" thick Balsa, strips 1/2" and 3/4" wide. I have checked with Hobbies of Dereham but theirs only cut to 1/2" wide.

Help please, JohnHA:thinking:

B

Bunkerbarge

By the time you have tried to find someone who can supply it you will probably find it easier making one for yourself.

A steel meter rule attached to a wooden set square with a wooen board fitted with a raised edge would not be too difficult to put together and you can set up some sort of stop arrangement adjustrable to any thickness you want.

I don't know of any proprietary suppliers I'm afraid but I would think seriously of making something myself.

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
John,make your own from a wooden marking gauge,simply file the pinpoint to a sharp flat and bevel the edge,you can easily mark the different positions,I have had one for years,in the meantime I have brought commercial ones but go back to the homemade one.

B

Bunkerbarge

Wooden marking gauges takes me back to school woodwork when we had to produce the square piece of wood using the gauge and a plane.

Planing then marking off the face side and the face edge, marking the thickness and planing again parallel to the side and edges. All good stuff.

Tell that to the kids nowadays........

B

Bluewavestudios

Hi,

Another source for 2 different types of these are available from S.L.E.C. (They of many modelling accessories fame) I have one type which is adjustable and uses standard hobby knife blades, I think the other is adjustable too....Both are quite cheap.

One of them is pictured on their website at:

http://www.slecuk.com/

Regards......Mark.

R

RickF

Bunkerbarge,

My first "job" as an RAF Apprentice - filing a round bar of brass square. I had that bit of brass for years until I used it in a model loco!

Rick

B

Bunkerbarge

Another favourite marine engineering one was to file an inch cube down to a centimetre cube, amongst other's.

J

JohnHA

Thanks Guys, Before i get to making my own, will look at "barrule" and "SLEC". To buy could be best particularly as my "workshop" is the dining

room table.

My engineering test was a stainless steel square!! A loo---ong time ago!

I think it is still in the tool box. JohnHA

J

JohnHA

RickF & the rest of the guys,

Had a look at www.barrule.com also sent them an e-mail. Everything seemed o.k. so for a fiver plus 63p U.K. postage i went for it. Prompt delivery without any fuss. A small tool but works pretty good but then, size isn't everything, its performance that counts!!

Thanks for all your help.:respect1: JohnHA

B

Bluewavestudios

John,

That one on Barrule is the same as mine, I had forgotten it was made by Master Airscrews...I seem to remember it being handled along the line somewhere by SLEC. Nonetheless a very capable tool and it will serve you well.

Regards........Mark

R

RickF

John,

Pleased to have been of assistance. Also nice to hear of a company providing good and speedy service.

Rick