Battle Of Britain

D

Deleted member 4203

Hi everyone, last year I got one of those 1/76 Airfix airfield diorama gift sets as a christmas present :smiling3: I had only made a tent with an afrika corps radio operator with a small base before it, and I had little experience with dioramas; so I thought it was nice to have a base that I could just paint and put some grass onto. :D I accidentally made the spitfire with the wheels up, so I decided I would use the mustang I made for the 'Under a Tenner' GB in January :confused: :D Considering it's only the second diorama I've made, I've really enjoyed it and think I've made quite a good job :smiling3: I'll have some of the earlier pictures as I worked through it too :smiling3:

All comments appreciated :smiling3: ;)

Blair

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

For the grass I decided it would be best to buy some Woodland Scenics Green Scatter, the one in the middle is the one that I used as it was a mix of both colours (that may be wrong, but I definitely know it was Woodland Scenics Scatter of some sort) :smiling3:

image.jpg

As you can see, the base was plastic and pre-made (which was helpful to have, and the plastic was good for sticking down the crew when the bases were cut off of them) I had started painting over it, ready for the grass to be put on :smiling3:

The grass was scattered onto wet paint and left to dry, I then painted some parts of it darker and put more on top, to give the effect of darker grass :smiling3:

image.jpg

This photo (above) has the ground looking darker in some places, I decided it being darker in some places would bring some more realism to the diorama, so I cut up a sponge and dabbed darker shades of the ground onto it :smiling3: on the one below i painted over it then re-did the sponging of it :smiling3:

image.jpg

I also bought some red flower effect stuff similar to the grass and mixed it with the green to make it look like flower patches :smiling3:

image.jpg

I planned how I wanted the diorama to look before the bases were cut off the figures

Below here is the finished diorama :D :smiling3:

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Thanks for looking :smiling3: :D

D

Deleted member 4203

I dont have any photos of the brown lorry being made, but I have quite a few of the blue lorry, although I have not used either of them. I'll put up some photos tommorow sometime :smiling3: :D

D

dubster72

A very good job you've done with that Blair, it creates a nice scene.

You've got me wondering about what would've happened in the BoB if we'd have had Mustangs!

First Name
Robert
Cracking dio really like the build info too ( very nice and tidy ) love all the weatgering tech and of course the mustang sets it off superbly

Well done

Robert

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I think these can look quite toy like sometimes if the same shade of grass is used all over, you haven't taken that route and varied the shades which makes for a much more convincing effect. It's a very good finish but most importantly you are learning new skills and techniques from each build that you do.

Well done.

D

Deleted member 4539

Very nice work here Blair,the added dimensions of grass set the scene well.

The Mustang is very nicely built and painted also.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
This is a credit to you Blair. Excellent diorama.

You certainly have a talent. I like the way you visualised needing blotchy patches to break up the green colour. This is what I call the 'Sit back and take a look.' moment.

The subtle expansion joints in the concrete are very well done too.

If you fancy saving a few bob, get hold of a Weetabix - other breakfast cereals are available! Grind it up in your hand and you have grass scatter, and for 1/76 / 72, once painted is every bit as good as bought stuff and a darn sight cheaper too.....Give it a try - nothing to loose.

Here's to your next build. Onwards and upwards!

Ron

D

Deleted member 4203

\ said:
This is a credit to you Blair. Excellent diorama.
You certainly have a talent. I like the way you visualised needing blotchy patches to break up the green colour. This is what I call the 'Sit back and take a look.' moment.

The subtle expansion joints in the concrete are very well done too.

If you fancy saving a few bob, get hold of a Weetabix - other breakfast cereals are available! Grind it up in your hand and you have grass scatter, and for 1/76 / 72, once painted is every bit as good as bought stuff and a darn sight cheaper too.....Give it a try - nothing to loose.

Here's to your next build. Onwards and upwards!

Ron
Thanks Ron :smiling3: Some really good tips there, I'll give it a try sometime :D ;)

D

Deleted member 4203

The 'almost' ( :rolleyes: ) finished lorries :D :smiling3:

image.jpg

image.jpg

I think I'll make a thread for them when they're re-painted and the decals are on :D

Blair