"Bendy Bus" VW Doka / 5th wheel camper kitbash

• Thread starter Deleted member 7181
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 7181

I'm in consultation with JR about that Steve, it's his field of expertise lol.

The bodywork is starting to grind me down a little, mostly because I don't have any proper filler. If I could nip into work for 5 minutes and blag some Dolphin Glaze it would make this a doddle!

Since I only have air drying putties or dissolved sprue it's a case of add a thin layer, wait for it to dry, add a thin layer, wait for it to dry, repeat, repeat until it's sufficiently thick. With a decent chemical cure filler I could slap on as much as I wanted and be carving it to shape within 10 minutes, so a process that should take an hour is running into several days.

I'll get there, it's just getting a bit monotonous. Thankfully I have the fun stuff to play around with in between and I might even start splashing some paint around on the interior parts. And I must get some more primer. I've got through almost a full jar of Mr Primer Surfacer so far and there's still a long way to go. I wanted to put a coat of Stynylrez on it once the bodywork was done as a barrier between the solvent fillers/primers and the solvent top coats, but the world seems to be out of stock :unamused:

takeslousyphotos

No Tears Please. It's a Waste of Good Suffering.
First Name
Peter
I'm in on watching this. A bit late but I'm here.:rolling:

D

Deleted member 7181

I've done a fair bit of painting today to fire up my mojo again. In between coats of filler on the bodywork of course.

The removable floor pieces were primed, painted in MRP white, then masked up

MvAPNXO.jpg

They then had a few coats of MRP black, were demasked, and had a couple of coats of GX100 clear. There's a bit of dust in them but some elbow grease will fix that

ZYjCBBm.jpg

I also got the mugs painted up. These were fashioned from some 4mm tubing, hollowed out more to give a better scale thickness wall, a bit of card for the base, and some copper wire. Primed then airbrushed with Mr Color gloss

IMA6VEd.jpg

And scratched up a gas bottle. A piece of wooden dowel, some card strip for the base and "neck", and various bits of plastic rod for the brass valve. I didn't bother drilling out the end as I'm intending to add a hose when it's in place. Lettering is a bit squiffy but it's the best I can do at this size! The white looking blob above the painted square is a reflection.

0Wr55t7.jpg

I also got the furniture painted. Light Gull Grey for the cupboards, matt white for the fridge, with a Vallejo chrome surround. Citadel Iron Warriors for the handles.

Worktop was done by applying 3 shades of well thinned down Neutral Grey in a random pattern with make up sponge sticks, then stippling with a damp soft brush to give a marbled effect. Sealed in with GX100.

I5KnHUM.jpg

R59kdrl.jpg

First Name
Andy
Cracking bit of carpentry there Andy, would you like to come and refurb my kitchen? ;)

Andy.

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
You've been cracking on with this at a fair old rate Andy :surprised:

Looking good - love the enamelled mugs and the marble effect worktops :thumb2:

pm sent

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Work of art Andy and great spot of creativity on the scratches with good observation and replication of the interior. For the gas bottle, to get a respectable result with the stenciling I would bluff by chipping it with the base red 'cos these things are reusable and get rubbed when in storage or shipping. Once you bring the image down to scale it'll look good anyway. :thumb2:

Cheers,
Richard

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Nice progress, that marble looks great Andy! :thumb2:
Steven

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks all.

Andy - I've done a few full sized ones in recent years. Never again :smiling5:

I wasn't sure how the marble effect would come out, I just played around, but I'm really happy with how it looks. As for the gas bottle, at a real viewing size it looks ok but I guess it's the tiny details that can make all the difference.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Andy
Very good work indeed. You're on a roll for sure.
Jim

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks chaps.

I did a bit of spot priming on the trailer section this morning to see how the filler work was doing (not bad) but I've pretty much run out of it now. It'll give me chance to sort a few other bits out while I wait for it to arrive. I have other stuff but I'm really impressed with the new Mr Primer Surfacer, especially on bare plastic. Adheres like nothing I've used before (even at work) and sands great.

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
WOW Scratchy,

I just...….This is so...…………..What the F...………..I can't believe……………...You are c…………...

Aw hell Andy, that is some damn truly fine moggelling there Sir!!! Totally amazing stuff!!!!!!!! The mugs and the tabletops!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now quit showing off...…………….

Bleib Gesund
Allen

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: JR

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Andy

Some great modelling in this project and really impressive details.

John