Best Manufacturer

B

Bux

Hi everyone. I am in the middle of an airfix 1/24 stuka and i'm finding that i'm having to do a lot of filling/sanding and encountering a few fit issues! I also have a tamiya Tiger 1 which i haven't started yet, but which looks a lot better quality.

This got me wondering, and here i am! Who is your favourite manufacturer??. Let me know and in a few weeks i'll pool results and post the winner. Please note, not your favourite model or scale, but your favourite manufacturer and why??

Time to scratch your head!

Last edited:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Welcome bux....Italeri, b*****d to fit together, but cheap and cheerful with good detail, and with a bit of patience a good end result.

:cheers:

Ron

D

dubster72

I'm not that experienced with too many brands but I'd vote for Tamiya. They may not be as detailed as Dragon but I like their build quality, lack of flash & the fit of parts is excellent. Also the instructions are clear & easy to follow. Very easy to do a great OOB build. Patrick

djellis10

djellis10
????

i would have to say tamiya have better casting and fit to their models but i would have to go for dragon for so much more option and detail you get. i have yet to try a trumpeter AFV kit, anygood anyone??

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I've tried a limited number of kits from Tamiya, Dragon and Trumpeter and found them all to be excellent. However, my finances mean I have to shop in the Italeri and Revell bracket. I've got lots of both and while they may not be up to the same standard as the big three, I'd be hard pushed to choose between them.

There is another issue for me though. Being a fairly new modeller with lots still to learn, I can't build to the same skill level that Tamiya etc produce to, if you see what I mean. I'm frightened to start some of their kits 'cos I know I won't be able to do them justice.

It's no good having all the extra detail if you can't hide your seams! And it's no good adding all the PE if you can't bend and glue it straight. The detail I get from Revell/Italeri is fine for me 'cos I'm working at that level. When I can produce models that I can't improve by my modelling techniques, then I expect I'll be looking for the better quality kits.

Hope all that makes sense!

Gern

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Gern has made a very good point. For an easy build I think Tamiya probably come out on top. It also depends on the age of the kit,the new Hasegawa's are very good. Most manufacturers have the odd "dog" out there. Most also have some good ones.

Some people enjoy the challenge of a more difficult kit (some build vacform kits for heaven's sake,brave indeed!) whilst others prefer a straight forward OOB build. Nothing wrong with either, I probably fall somewhere in the middle,not minding a bit of work but getting frustrated by a really bad kit.

I always try and find a couple of reviews of a kit or,even better, speak to someone who has built it. If they do raise questions about the build, then I'll ask myself how much of a challenge I fancy. Usually not too much lol!

Steve

T

tigertc

Tamiya all the the way. I have lost count of how many Tamiya kits i have built over the years, not one of them is a "monday" design. The new Italeri/Revell kits are easily on a par with Tamiya. Italeri's 1/35 S100 Schnellboot is just sublime!

N

noble

\ said:
Tamiya all the the way. I have lost count of how many Tamiya kits i have built over the years, not one of them is a "monday" design. The new Italeri/Revell kits are easily on a par with Tamiya. Italeri's 1/35 S100 Schnellboot is just sublime!
Hi there yes i have recently aquired one of the 1:35 schnellboot kits, han't touched it yet but it is huge and the quality looks excellent.

scott:smile11:

N

noble

I have to say iam a huge fan of Tamiya as they go together very well, although i have a few from Revell and Italeri and i have had no problems with the quality except for the rubber tracks. I have to say though that miniart kits are amazing the buildings are vaccuformed and can be fiddely but the detail is outstanding especially in their figures. However after all of this i still have to say Tamiya is still top dog in my opinion.:nurse:

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
This is a hard question because all manufacturer's have there good and bad points. Tamiya go together well and they have some nice detail. Italeri is like having chinese food, very nice but you're still hungry 10 or 15 minutes later. Dragon, only built one which was a King Tiger and loved every minute of it.

Built a good few AFV Club models in 1/35 scale though and at the moment i'm putting together the 1/48 Sd.Kfz.251/1 AUSF.C that has the same detail (very fiddly to say the least).I've not got around to Trumpeter yet but, i've been told they are a joy.

But i think for me, i'll go for Tamiya. Nice to build, a lot for choice for your project and good on the pocket.

John

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
\ said:
Hi there yes i have recently aquired one of the 1:35 schnellboot kits, han't touched it yet but it is huge and the quality looks excellent.scott:smile11:
Hi there. Have they sorted out the problem they had with the early releases of this? Apparently the moulds on the hull halves were 'short-shot' and left some problems around the torpedo tube recesses.

If they have, that's yet another to add to my 'wanted' list!

Gern

P

Paul1978

Tamiya 100%. The kits are fairly simple and with the parts fitting together like Katie Price and an electric chair do. They can be pricey but you pay for quality. The Russian company Zvezda produce some beauties. Their tanks leave a lot to be desired but their figures and trucks are superb. I recently bought the ZiS-5V; a simple kit but great detailing. However, Zvezda kits do require the little bit of clearing up.

Paul :exercise3: