Beware OF Superglue

P

Pogo

Its obvious though really.It does say "BONDS IN SECONDS" on the tube . Embarassing moment!!!! Making Monogram F-106 Delta Dart. I had assembled the wings and attached them to the fuselage.A small gap was visible around where the wings met the fuselage. Instead of Milliput i thoght id use superglue to fill the joint. Everything was going well .I had hold of the model in one hand and running the glue into the join with the other .So Far So Good. I didnt know that some of the glue had found its way out through the wheekl wells onto my hand that was supporting it. I did find out the hard way. It took a lot of effort to get the plastic cleared up of my skin. And it Hurt.

U

Uncivil Serpent

Hi Colin,

Rule one of using superglue:

Always have the debonder handy.

Mind you, probably a bit difficult with an F-106 atached to one paw, but she who thinks she must be obeyed would probably welcome the light relief.

Regards

Chris

P

Pogo

trust me once i'd finished getting it off so to speak , i didnt touch it again for 2 weeks .Just to make sure it was set

R

rjwood_uk

i have also managed to do this, but i got my finger and thumb stuck togeather!!!!, now that hurt!!

B

Bluewavestudios

Bowl of very warm water is an excellent alternative if you do not have any debonder handy...and it's probably cheaper too !!!

If you went to a hospital with your fingers stuck with this stuff, the above is all they will use or advise you to use.

Mark.

B

Bunkerbarge

Any form of Cyano glue should be used very sparingly so not really the best medium for filling gaps. Apart from which when set the stuff has mainly evaporated and there is no substance left to fill the gap.

It also releases a lot of vapours which are not the healthiest of things to be inhaling in quantity.

You were lucky it wasn't worse and the local hospital didn't need to get involved.

Remember very sparingly!!

P

Pogo

It was a gel type glue and i was doing it outside in the fresh air.It filled the gap greatand i have used it quite a lot since. It was only the fact it was a hot sunny day and we had a lot of aircraft on hold for manchester that i got a bit distracted. Its not happened since

L

Lips McGee

I've got a similar story. I was working on something using superglue once, and had both hands busy, so I put the cap in my mouth to open the tube with. Well, when I was done applying my glue, I move the bottle toward the cap between my lips but I missed. Woe was I when I had to use a steak knife from the kitchen to cut the superglue from between my solid shut lips.

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Cyno/Superglue is a great aid to model building,but please use with the greatest of care with safety uppermost in mind,the thin variety will migrate into any capilliary line and certainly reach the bits that you do not want it to ! if you need to fill a gap then first sprinkle baking powder/cornflour into the joint,then touch this with thin cyno,there will be a small puff of smoke and you will be left with a joint like steel,the biggest problem is sanding it later as it is so tough,best to allow for a sink in the joint so that you can surface fill with conventional filler such as Squadron putty.

The full effect of the fumes on our body are still not fully known,but for safetys sake use outside whenever practical,the same goes for using kicker/accelerators,they do not smell too good,so beware use with the greatest of care.

Never ever place anything into the mouth that has touched cyno,think of the name cyanide=poison !!

A

abrad

Hi Colin,

Glueing your hand with cyno is a common day practice when I am modeling, if you want painfull look at my avtar.

Yes you guest it nozzel blocked poke it with a pin, squirt!!! eye was stuck for two days,

now thats painfull He He

Last edited: