Bf 109 E-4 (Airfix 1/48)

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Thanks guys! :thumb2:

This morning I finished the decals, still need to do some touch-ups and then seal them in with a second gloss coat.
I used a swastika on the tail from a swastika-decal-sheet (the kit-instructions suggests to put it on the rudder).

The decals were good quality, I used Micro Set & Sol...
Steven_Bf109E_48_034.jpg

HAPPY EASTER !!!
StevenEaster.jpg
Kind regards,
Steven

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Steven
I'm rather late in - sorry. Just had a catch up and very impressed with your neat, careful work. Moving the stick to the side shows great attention to detail. The instrument painting shows real skill. Love the paint job and the decals really bring this to life.
Happy Easter
Jim

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Thanks for the comments everyone! :thumb2:

Some more slowly progress on loose parts,
The Airfix-kit comes with 3 types of bombs :
SC50 = (4x) 55 kg (121 lb)
SC250 = 250 kg (550 lb)
SC500 = 500 kg (1,100 lb)

I went for the SC250, this seemed to be used quite a lot.
In this reference picture you can see they wrote some text on it, I think it says something like "the rest on the commander" ?
Steven_Bf109E_48_035.jpg

I made the small fin-connections with some stretched-sprue (see left).
Then added some words with a small brush, I ran out of space :smiling5: but with the landing gear etc you won't be noticing much I think...
Steven_Bf109E_48_036.jpg

Some more painted parts...
Steven_Bf109E_48_037.jpg

Yesterday I added a second gloss-coat, so now I'm going to start on the panel-wash :thumb2:
Thanks for reading and keep safe!
Steven

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
A`noon Steven,
I`m not usually a wingy builder,but i`ll stop dead for a 109 Sir-one of my favourite WWII planes :cool:,in fact i have a 1/32nd one in the stash!
I like your painting style,very effective that is.Panel wash next eh?........ not easy to get right IMHO.
Looking forward to seeing more.
Cheers,
Andy
(P.S. Is it BF 109 or ME 109............... ?!)

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Thanks for dropping by Andy,
Yes the 109 is very popular indeed, I really like all the different camouflage-schemes they used.

... (P.S. Is it BF 109 or ME 109............... ?!)
Well I prefer BF but ME is generally accepted too :poop: , I couldn't explain it better then with this quote :
Originally the aircraft was designated as Bf 109 by the RLM, since the design was submitted by the Bayerische Flugzeugwerke (literally "Bavarian Aircraft Works", meaning "Bavarian Aircraft Factory" ... It was called the Me 109 by Allied aircrew and some German aces, even though this was not the official German designation.

Cheers,
Steven

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Steven crackin work on this model looks real an the bomb you have made an painted an the writeing on it is makes it look very realistic indeed very well done sir but what were the yellow lines on the bomb fins for ?
chris

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
... But what were the yellow lines on the bomb fins for ?
Thanks Chris!
Well, I had to look it up but found the answer ; ) :
"The second most used category of bombs was the SD series which were high-explosive bombs but with thicker casings which meant their charge to weight ratio was only 30 to 40% of their total weight. At first glance, they were difficult to distinguish from the SC series of bombs, but the two series were color-coded the SC series having yellow tail stripes, while the SD series had red tail stripes."

This afternoon I will put all the pieces together, will post an update this evening :thumb2:
Steven

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Thanks Chris!
Well, I had to look it up but found the answer ; ) :
"The second most used category of bombs was the SD series which were high-explosive bombs but with thicker casings which meant their charge to weight ratio was only 30 to 40% of their total weight. At first glance, they were difficult to distinguish from the SC series of bombs, but the two series were color-coded the SC series having yellow tail stripes, while the SD series had red tail stripes."

This afternoon I will put all the pieces together, will post an update this evening :thumb2:
Steven
HI Steven many thanks for your answer on the bomb colour stripe something eles ive learnded today cheers
chris

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
In this reference picture you can see they wrote some text on it, I think it says something like "the rest on the commander" ?
Kommandatur means “command post” or “headquarters”. If I’m not mistaken, the text on the side of the bomb translates loosely as “The rest is on ‘HQ’”, so it probably means something like, “This one you get from us, the rest is by orders of HQ” — whatever they may have meant by that, exactly. Unfortunately that on the nose is hard to make out.

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Thanks Jakko, I misread the word 'Kommandatur' for 'Kommandant' indeed :poop:, not really sure what they ment, perhaps it was information for the bomb-crews or something like that.

Unfortunately that on the nose is hard to make out.
Yes, I wrote 'für Fritz' (for Fritz!) on the nose :smiling5:...
Cheers, Steven

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Steven

Looking very good indeed. Well done!!!

Andrew

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
(P.S. Is it BF 109 or ME 109............... ?!)

Here's a serious answer. I will preface it by saying it really doesn't matter as everyone understands both today.

The prefix Bf was assigned to all aircraft designed by the Bayerische Flugzeugwerke (BFW). This prefix was assigned by the Reich Air Ministry, the RLM, and was the official prefix. It was supposed to be used in all correspondence between the manufacturer and the Ministry. BFW was reconstituted as a new company, Messerschmitt AG in July 1938. After this date any designs approved by the RLM and given a prefix were given the prefix Me (hence Me 210/410 or Me 262).

During the war the Allies almost invariably referred to the Bf 109 as the Messerschmitt fighter or 'Emee' 109. The Germans too called it the 'Emee' or 'null neun'.

So, today we can call it either, though the strictly correct and official prefix is Bf.

Simples :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve