Bf 109E Questions:Instrument Panel Handles & Oxygen Line Paint

J

Jagdflieger

A. There are two handles with round knobs projecting out from the Bf 109E instrument panel, one each coming out of each side of the instrument panel. Questions:

(1) I understand the one on the right is to manually pump fuel, is this correct?

(2) What is the one on the left for?

(3) I've seen the left hand knob painted white, yellow or black, and the right hand knob colored yellow or white — what is (are) the correct color(s) for the knobs?

B. What is a good paint to match the blue used on the oxygen lines on the right side of the Bf 109E cockpit?

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
Hi Jagdflieger, I've had a look at the Me 109 handbook, and the only things I can find on the left hand side of the instrument panel, which may the knob you refer to, is either the magneto switch or the main electrical on/off switch.

Can't help with the colour as all the photos are in B/W, but the switch looks darker than the surrounding panel so it is black, probably.

The same goes for the oxyggen pipe work, no colour shots.

Hope this helps.

Tony.

Last edited by a moderator:

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I use Humbrol 25 for the oxygen lines,which Humbrol uninspiringly call "Blue".

Cheers

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
You are correct about the one on the right,I'd expect that to be yellow.

On the left I think you might mean the fuel cut off which ought to be yellow as well. I've seen a restoration (never reliable) in which this was white.

If I find a colour contemporary or unrestored photo I'll update.

Cheers

Steve

M

m1ks

\ said:
I use Humbrol 25 for the oxygen lines,which Humbrol uninspiringly call "Blue".Cheers

Steve
Well thats just crazy, how are we supposed to know what colours in the tin without a name like Oxygen line sky!

:lol

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
Well thats just crazy, how are we supposed to know what colours in the tin without a name like Oxygen line sky!:lol
Nice one,I've been working (work work) all evening before having a quick look at the forum and you've definitely lightened my mood,as well as making me dribble tea out of my nose :smiling3:

Fair point though. I do however reckon that "Luftwaffe oxygen line blue" has a nice ring to it!

Cheers

Steve

coachman

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
If you go onto the Eduard website,look up 109e instrument panel and you'll find a quarter scale

model in full colour. John

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
If you go onto the Eduard website,look up 109e instrument panel and you'll find a quarter scalemodel in full colour. John
The problem is that Eduard suggest that the knobs on the end of those levers are black. I have several contemporary black and white photos of Bf 109 E cockpits and those levers don't have black knobs. In some cases it is just the knob and in others both the knob and roughly the first third of the lever arm which is painted a light colour. In others the entire lever,including the knob is just one,light grey colour.

Whether the IP itself is a light or dark grey the levers seem to remain a light grey,presumably RLM 02.

I suggest yellow rather than white because that was the colour code for fuel lines and both levers are associated with the fuel system but there is no way of telling from a B+W image.

Cheers

Steve

coachman

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hi Steve, I noticed the black knobs myself and wondered if manufacture date had anything

to do with it. John

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
Hi Steve, I noticed the black knobs myself and wondered if manufacture date had anythingto do with it. John
It might do. More likely it depended where and by whom the aircraft was built. Production was licensed to Fiesler,Arado etc.

Cheers

Steve