Bf109G6 Early Version

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Hi all

Still waiting for the airbrush to arrive so have dug out this model that I started back in January. There are a few bits that I can get on without needing the airbrush. This model was started before I had an airbrush so it has all been hand painted using Humbrol enamels, it has been a slow process waiting for the paints to dry between stages. Here a few images of my progress so far.

Vaughan

View attachment 33596

View attachment 33597

View attachment 33598

View attachment 33599

View attachment 33600

View attachment 33601

View attachment 33602

View attachment 33603

View attachment 33604

View attachment 33605

View attachment 33606

View attachment 33607

_MG_0083.jpg

_MG_0084.jpg

_MG_0079.jpg

_MG_0089.jpg

_MG_0082.JPG

_MG_0078.jpg

_MG_0088.jpg

_MG_0087.jpg

_MG_0095.jpg

_MG_0092.jpg

_MG_0085.jpg

_MG_0093.jpg

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Hi forgot to mention that I have used Two Eduard aftermarket photo etched kits one for the instrument panel and other cockpit details plus a German seatbelt set. I found them very tricky to work with even though they are 24th scale. How people work with them at 1/48th scale I don't know.

Vaughan

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Hi I think I should have put this thread in the "Planes and Helicopters" sub forum but I'm not sure how to move it.

Vaughan

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
That looks good. At least a Bf109 isn't too big even in 1/24 scale! I'm guessing from the box that this is the one with the JG51 (Moelders) options,should be good.

Cheers

Steve

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Hi Vaughan. That cock pit looks the bees knees!

I have moved the thread to the Planes and Helicopter section for you, I hope thats OK?

Ian M

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Hi that's great Ian how did you do it?

Vaughan

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
\ said:
Hi that's great Ian how did you do it?Vaughan
Its one of the perks of being a moderator ;)

Ian M

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
\ said:
That looks good. At least a Bf109 isn't too big even in 1/24 scale! I'm guessing from the box that this is the one with the JG51 (Moelders) options,should be good.Cheers

Steve
Hi Steve

Your right there are two options one is the JG 51 flown by Elias Kuhlien with the eyes or the JG/II flown by Anton Hackl with 20mm underwing guns. Not sure which version I'm going to do yet but the eye decals look quite a challenge as they cover a very curved surface would need a lot of decal soft. I haven't used Trumpeter decals before these ones are made by Aero Master they are very shiny so will need a coat of matt varnish once they're applied.

Vaughan

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Those decals should be fine. I've used Aeromaster decals and they've always been very nice and react well to my decal setter (Microsol).

Cheers

Steve

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
hi vaughan, fantastic work on the cockpit and engine, cheers tony

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Hi again Vaughan. I was looking through Prien and Rodeike "Messerschmitt Bf109 F,G and K series" looking for something entirely different (I'm trying to identify an aircraft for Ron (Spanner 570)) when I came across some pictures of Kuhlein's aircraft. I know the kit has a fictional Werk Nummer but if you decide to do that aircraft the actual Werk Nummer was 163269.

By the way if you're interested in the Bf109 I'd highly recommend that book,you should find it for about thirty quid.

As another by the way I'd describe Kuhlein's aircraft as a mid production,not an early G-6.

Cheers

Steve

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
It's a great start Vaughan, nice looking office.

Regards

Colin M

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Thanks for all your complements. I should be making some more progress in the next week or so as still finishing off the Hurricane MK1.

Vaughan

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Hi guys nearing completion of my Hawker Hurricane so will be continuing with 109G6 in the next few days.

Vaughan

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Help a missing part!!!!!!

Hi guys all but finished the Hawker Hurricane just some weathering to do.

I thought I might as well dig out the 109G6 and to my horror I have a major piece missing everything that I have removed from the sprus have been put into sandwich bags but I have part of the propeller assembly missing the part that locates and holds one side of the propeller blades. I don't see away round not using it and there's no way that I could scratch build it.

Now as this is a Trumpeter kit I'm not even sure that you can get spares being from China.

Vaughan

View attachment 34128

propeller assembly.jpg

N

noble

Hi Vaughan i like this kit a lot i have built the 109 G10 you've done a cracking job so far, stick with it.

Scott

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
There must be a god

Hi guys somebody must be looking down on me the missing part has reappeared I think it's called putting it in a safe place. I'd been working on the part just after Christmas as there were ejector pin marks on the inside which prevented the propeller blade fitting properly needed to be removed. So all is well.

Vaughan

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
missing part has reappeared Vaughan
Good news. I'm not sure how easy it would be to get a replacement part and it's not a bit that someone would have left over in the spares box.

Cheers

Steve

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Hi Steve I did manage to find the official distributer, on the Trumpeter site, for the UK last night a company called Pocketbond Ltd. I had emailed them prior to finding the part so will be interesting to see if I get a response incase in the future I really do lose a part.

Vaughan